TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Discussion in 'California' started by Trnsl8r, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Thought we could have a thread to gather feedback on today's "Coffee and Cars" gathering in Menlo Park for the benefit of the organizers. Here are my two cents:

Pros:
    - Terrific turn-out.
    - Good coffee caterer.

Cons:
    - I have to say it, it felt like a squandered opportunity for Tesla. I think I counted only 3 employees staffing the event, out of which one was in "civilian clothes" and was hard to spot. With that kind of crowd, with lots of prospective buyers, they should have called in staff from Santana Row or wherever and have at least 10 people in red and grey. Can't imagine everyone vying for a test drive got one. (Where was GeorgeB? He would have been completely in his element here...)
    - What about an agenda, a presentation, some bone to throw to those of us owners that showed up? Sure, it was good fun to meet up and chat for a bit, always good to have an excuse to get out and drive a bit but... I don't know. Yeah I know, there was nothing else mentioned in the invite. Something more to make it an event other than a much over-worked barista would have been nice. (That poor dude... completely blindsided by the size of the crowd. Great guy took it in good stride and produced some very decent coffee.)

That's my spontaneous reaction. Anyone else?

2. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

One additional pro: Getting to meet some of the folks on TMC. Always nice to put a face to a name.

On the cons, I agree. Yeah, I think it would have been nice to have some more employee presence there and some information about X or Superchargers or even just an idea when the new service center in Sunnyvale will open.

And although the coffee was good, how about the donuts? 4 dozen donuts for what, maybe hundreds of people? We showed up at 10:15 and donuts were gone. I mean, c'mon. Have an event like this, how hard is it to get food, and something as cheap and easy as donuts?? I am responsible for getting donuts for volunteer events for my wife's charity organization, and if there are only a couple dozen volunteers, I'm getting at least that many donuts.

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

I wasn't sure what to expect.

Thought it might be like the Saturday exotic car gatherings at Santana Row and that's what it turned out to be. Except it was all Model S and one Roadster... :)

At least we got free lattes... :)

Met several nice folk. Most discussion was are our p,ace,net of HOV stickers and whether or not to use a front license plate.

One gentlemen took pictures of all personalized license plates.

Not sure if it was supposed to be more organized.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Whoops! I didn't even know about the event! I might've gone.

As for squandered... well, it seems not atypical for Tesla to not even show up to events. IIRC, they weren't at any recent/semi-recent SJ nor SF auto shows.

They didn't go to the single year of Green Drive Expo in Richmond, CA that I went to. Toyota was there having just announced the Toyota | Toyota Announces Pricing for All-New 2012 Prius v and Prius Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles. They had their Prius v, PiP, '12 HyCam, and '12 Prius on hand for test drive. None of those Toyotas were available for sale yet, so it was nice to get a peek (and test drive) ahead of time. A pre-production/prototype (Tesla-powertrain and battery) Rav4 EV was on display too but unavailable for test drives.

There were also Volts and Leafs available for test drive.

I went to AltCar Expo in Santa Monica, CA last year. Tesla? No show. I test drove a Coda, Leaf, Honda Clarity FCX, a Wheego, Volt, Ford Focus Electric (finally!), a Kia or Hyundai FCV, a Nissan X-Trail FCV, a Civic NGV, a Fit EV, Rav4 EV 2x (I think they went on sale just a few days before), PiP and maybe a few others.

I went to Hybrids2Hotrods 2x and Tesla was also a no show.

5. Trnsl8r

Yeah but... if you're hosting the event, you're expected to show up, no?

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Oh! :eek::redface:

Out of curiosity, where was it publicized? I had no idea this was going on.

7. Trnsl8r

An email went out earlier in the week, see Menlo Park Cars and Coffee 6/2/13

8. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

It was good meeting you Trnsl8r! Sorry I didn't get to chat with you, Kaivball, as I put my HOV stickers on at the event. They were in my glovebox for a long time as I don't need them for my regular commute.

Looking forward to meeting more TMC members at TESLIVE.

9. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

I expected a lecture with slideshow inside the showroom, like was done a year or so ago. Instead it was all outside, with a huge turnout of owners. Pretty much the entire parking lot was filled with Model Ses--just one Roadster.

It was nice to meet and chat with owners. But it would have been nice to have had more than that one poor Tesla fellow in the store to answer some questions.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The lone Roadster in the parking lot.

image.jpg

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Oh. I'm assuming it went out to mostly (or only) Tesla vehicle owners. I don't have one...

11. Trnsl8r

Yeah, probably local folks in their database. Probably next time they should add some sort of RSVP function.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Thanks for taking a pic of my car (blue S)

:)

13. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Yours was the nicest on the lot, I loved what you've done with the window tinting.