Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on 7.1 2.17.37 (Summon, Autopilot & Othr changes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

3mp_kwh

Feb 13, 2013
Boston
I was pushed 2.17.37 yesterday, and noticed sharper braking during Autopilot. The car seems to be more abrupt when applying brakes in stop & go traffic. I've had cars behind me come up more quickly, as a result. Wondering if others are noticing any change, maybe related to the update this week? I can see need for a balance between being 1-2 lengths behind, and preventing others moving in on me, and being more relaxed behind the car I follow. FWIW, I liked the old, less rapid application of the brakes. I was fine with how much any given gap was preserved with less abrupt braking and more variability in the length to the car ahead. I think that's more consistent with how people drive.

I got the same update. I noticed an annoying intervention now needed from stop, in stop and go traffic (Lincoln tunnel going from NJ to NYC). I had to press the throttle after several stops. A hold message appeared on the dash screen above the center display. I have never seen this before. If its part of the update we are going backwards towards less autonomous and more human input.

Regarding xxx17.37 update, we drove from downtown Portland up to Timberline Lodge and back today and used AP for most of the trip.

AP/TACC differentiates between divided and undivided highways. It caps speed at 5mph over the posted speed limit when on undivided highways and roads. It appears that it will cap the speed at 10 mph on divided highways.

On highways at, for example, 65 mph, clear ahead for 1/4 to 1/2 mile, the car will pickup stopped traffic/car in its lane, and pull down to a stop without any issues. This is with a follow setting of 6. The stop is pretty smooth. Slowing is initiated by the Regen shift which some might consider a harder transition than usual manual braking. I'm pretty sure the brakes are not applied until the last few dozen yards. The transition is pretty soft.

AP still has trouble keep its lane when cresting a knob hill. It is easy to understand why. The car's camera's view is so close to the road that it does not take much of dip for it to loose sight of the road. Following a car over a crest might help but haven't had the opportunity to test that well.

AP/TACC can and does lock onto a motorcycle at speed on a highway. An image shows on the instrument panel.

On major highways where the speed limit for autos is posted above the speed limit for trucks, AP picks up the auto speed limit and ignores the truck limit. It is not reacting to highway and road id numbers.

Either I am getting more comfortable with AP lane changing or it is improving. Today I was careful to hold the lane change stalk down (or up) until I was pretty sure both front wheels were in the new lane. Initiating the lane change seems gentler than in the past.

In town in heavy traffic, AP continues to work well. I keep a follow setting around 4 or 5 which gives me about a full car length between cars. The acceleration and braking (/regen) is not aggressive feeling. I believe this gives the systems some room for adjusting to traffic jerky movements.

At speed in turns on bridges with high barriers, the car stays in its lane with perhaps a small amount of drift. Some of this drift maybe due to how the AP sees the curve. It does not anticipate the curve whereas we, as drivers, are able to see the clues for a curve much in advance not to mention we may know that that curve is there so we set up for it much sooner that AP does. A very gentle curve is easy for AP but I think tighter curves result in a less smooth reaction due to the time it takes for AP to note and initiate the curve. Further, AP probably does not know whether the extent of the curve, 20, 30, 45 or even a 180 degree curve, not to mention the curve may tighten. How does AP adjust speed to it all especially when no following another car?

Has anyone gone for a drive and seen a message on their iPhone stating how far they just drove and how long you can expect to take to drive back once they are out of the car? I do not know by what route that gets to my phone, the Tesla App, Teslarata or ?. but I have not noticed this message before installing this last update.

What a really neat system Tesla is putting together. It is a work in progress, especially visible in AP. Stay awake while using it.

Has anyone gone for a drive and seen a message on their iPhone stating how far they just drove and how long you can expect to take to drive back once they are out of the car? I do not know by what route that gets to my phone, the Tesla App, Teslarata or ?. but I have not noticed this message before installing this last update.

No but let's figure this out because that's a good feature. Which Tesla related apps do you have on your iPhone? I know Tesla's app and Remote S don't do that.

Reactions: TaoJones
The only apps that I have that are related to Tesla are the Tesla app and Teslarati. There is Tesla Motors home of course. We use iPhones. Looking at the record of "notifications" either on the phone or in the Tesla app, or in "messages", I find no record of having received this message that relates to time and distance traveled. I have read through the latest update notes, I did not notice anything relating to this feature.

One more observation: AP/TACC does not appear to be thrown off by broken shadows with bright sunlight. We experienced a stretch of two lane road that had tall evergreens right along side the road. Bright sun and dark shadows were cast across the road with no impact to AP.

Also I noted today that when the car in front slows and the makes a hard right onto a side street, AP picks it up with a small twitch but otherwise keeps it lane even though stripe is absent for the side road enterence.

Anyone have issues with auto homelink close when summoning car out of garage? Ever since the latest update, my auto homelink shows "Skipped auto close" when I get in the car after summons. :oops: If I back the car out of the garage myself, auto homelink close works fine. Real world Tesla problems..

The only apps that I have that are related to Tesla are the Tesla app and Teslarati. There is Tesla Motors home of course. We use iPhones. Looking at the record of "notifications" either on the phone or in the Tesla app, or in "messages", I find no record of having received this message that relates to time and distance traveled. I have read through the latest update notes, I did not notice anything relating to this feature.

This actually has nothing to do with your car or anything Tesla app related. This is an Apple feature that was introduced in iOS9 called predictive traffic routing. It's a setting in the Maps app. The reason you see the alert pop up on your phone and/or smartwatch is when the phone connects to the car's bluetooth, it realizes you're about to drive somewhere and looks at your recent trips and makes a prediction as to where you are going. I drive a few places on a regular basis on the same day and time each week and at first it really freaked me out that it knew where I was going, even though it wasn't on my calendar. It works pretty well, and it pops up on my watch and phone the very second I open the door, which means BT connectivity is happening really quickly, which is nice. I also like how my calendar appears on the Tesla screen as well when I get in the car each morning.

Info about it here:
Inside iOS 9: Apple's Maps app gets smarter with automatic directions based on user habits

How to turn it off here:
How to turn off iOS 9's automated traffic helper

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: skip8jj and msnow
Not sure if this changed in 2.17.37 or 2.16.17, but you no longer have to push the turn signal stalk all the way down to auto lane change. You can just hold it down for a second or two and it will change lanes. (Soft of like flash to pass) Much better than having to push it all the way down, then pulling it back up, etc.

Not sure if this changed in 2.17.37 or 2.16.17, but you no longer have to push the turn signal stalk all the way down to auto lane change. You can just hold it down for a second or two and it will change lanes. (Soft of like flash to pass) Much better than having to push it all the way down, then pulling it back up, etc.

I thought it's been like that for a long time if not from the original 7.0.

Thought it always worked that way.

Nope. Before the latest update, I could summon my car out of the garage, get in..reverse out of the driveway and then it would auto-close. Now, every time I do that it says "skipped autoclose". The SC hadn't heard from anyone else about this issue and doesn't sound like anyone on the forum has this issue. Guess i'll have to troubleshoot on my own for now or wait for the next update.

My autosteer is having a lot of trouble in this version.

The autosteer control algorithm seems better than before -- it drifts less in turns, keeps the car in the center of the lane better, and overall seems to have more precision in positioning the car.

However, the autosteer acquisition algorithm for judging the lane stripes is notably worse. I frequently see the blue lines fade out, especially on the left side, and especially when in the left lane where the left-hand lane stripe is yellow vice white. I rarely had to take control from autosteer in previous versions, and in this one it usually can't go more than 5-10 miles without screwing something up to where I have to take control. It's nearly useless if the sun is towards the front of the car, it acquires both lane stripes less than 50% of the time. I've previously also seen it navigate Botts Dots quite well, and this morning a freeway section with Botts Dots totally confused it and it couldn't make out the lane at all.

I have no idea how they could have changed the behavior this badly.

@skip8jj , @pdxrunr and any other wet climate drivers. I live in Portland and expect to take delivery of a new MS in the next month. I'm particularly looking forward to AP to help make my long (1 hour each way) commute more enjoyable.

I have tested out the AP in fair weather and liked it, but I'm really curious as to how it performs in the rain. ( As many of you know, it rains ALOT here in the PNW.). In particular, some of those drives down the i5 to/from Seattle when the visibility is low at night and with all of the Semi's splashing lots of water and reducing visibility to next to nothing -temporarily. It's those conditions that I was hoping to really get good use of AP for. Perhaps to make them safer, with less likelihood of human error to cause accidents and to reduce my own stress level. Any feedback on how accurate and reliable it is in poor weather would be helpful.

Ironically, it hasn't rained much in the last 30 days since I took delivery! On a light rain day it worked just fine on I5, but I have not had the chance to test in harder, driving rain like we get in January. Perhaps some folks in TX or LA could provide us with some info.