Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on 7.1 2.17.37 (Summon, Autopilot & Othr changes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same situation as pdxrunr, except for one recent Saturday night with light rain coming in on 43 through Lake O. I was pleasantly surprised when AP worked fine Otherwise have not had the occasion to be on any of the freeways in heavy rain. MS 70D, March 22, 2016 delivery.

Less effective in rain and low visibility conditions. Still safer than no AP but if the camera has limited visibility such as rain and fog it definately impacts the features effectiveness. There may also be impact to the sensors as well but I haven't noticed that.

Perhaps it is just as limited as the human eye is in low visibility. And, the disadvantages may be worsened when the sensors get wet. I was hoping that with radar it could "see" through rain. I will have to wait till I take delivery and then wait again for the rainy season to do some experiments. Thanks for the input

Reactions: msnow
@skip8jj , @pdxrunr and any other wet climate drivers. I live in Portland and expect to take delivery of a new MS in the next month. I'm particularly looking forward to AP to help make my long (1 hour each way) commute more enjoyable.

I have tested out the AP in fair weather and liked it, but I'm really curious as to how it performs in the rain. ( As many of you know, it rains ALOT here in the PNW.). In particular, some of those drives down the i5 to/from Seattle when the visibility is low at night and with all of the Semi's splashing lots of water and reducing visibility to next to nothing -temporarily. It's those conditions that I was hoping to really get good use of AP for. Perhaps to make them safer, with less likelihood of human error to cause accidents and to reduce my own stress level. Any feedback on how accurate and reliable it is in poor weather would be helpful.
The autopilot works well in the rain as long as it is turned on. Once you turn it off it sometimes has a difficult time finding the lines in the road again to allow you to turn it back on. In these instances I take my foot off the gas making it easier to find the auto pilot function.

I thought it's been like that for a long time if not from the original 7.0.
Right. But the catch is, if you let go too soon, it the car will see that as a cancellation of the move, and shift you rather abruptly back to the lane from which you came. At least, that was the behavior in the beginning.
What I learned to do was to use the turn signals until the lane marking stopped blinking in the display. that means the car has completed the maneuver.

Anyone ever have TACC refuse to engage? I found a half mile section of road the won't let me use AP or TACC. Two lane each direction, divided road, the road has been around for 20+ years. It really sucks to have to steer and push the peddle for a half mile.

• Funny
Reactions: Festerfeet
I hate this firmware. Ever since I got it, my auto open and close of garage door only works about 25% of the time. It shows that it's sending the signal but my garage door doesn't budge. Also, my auto high beams don't work now. They will occasionally flash to high beam but they essentially don't work.

AP lane change used to work 100% of the time. Now it's maybe 50%. Homelink used to be flawless. Now it opens all the time, but closes only about half the time. I used to be able to come upon stopped traffic on AP while going 50 mph and it would stop in time, though a hard break. Now I am pretty sure it would just plow into stopped traffic. Sadly, nothing seems to have actually improved.
Oh, and when in AP at a red light behind another car, the acceleration seems much, much less. It used to accelerate fine, but now it just creeps forward as a multi-car gap forms in front.

Last edited:
AP lane change used to work 100% of the time. Now it's maybe 50%. Homelink used to be flawless. Now it opens all the time, but closes only about half the time. I used to be able to come upon stopped traffic on AP while going 50 mph and it would stop in time, though a hard break. Now I am pretty sure it would just plow into stopped traffic. Sadly, nothing seems to have actually improved.
Oh, and when in AP at a red light behind another car, the acceleration seems much, much less. It used to accelerate fine, but now it just creeps forward as a multi-car gap forms in front.

I don't have these issues with my car. Homelink works the same and the breaking and acceleration while using TACC is slightly less aggressive it seems fine if not better to me. Also noticed a small improvement in the Rated Range algorithm.

Did test drive the new Mercedes E class a few days ago. Sad to say, but the adaptive cruise/Autopilot in stop and go traffic is much better on the E class..
Even with a ICE it is much smoother when stopping for traffic and start again from a stand still. Tesla have some catch up to do on that part.

On highway they are very similar, but like the Tesla better since it does not nag so often as the E class does.