Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on a US Spotify UI (that works!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the same thing - if only I could control the Spotify instance on my phone from the screen in my Model S. I looked around and was surprised that this was the only project that I could find along these lines. It's a cool start, but lacks the functionality that I desire. So I took a stab at writing one too.

Anyone on this thread want to test out another project attempting to accomplish the same thing? I'd love some feedback. Here's the URL:
T-Spot

As suggested, I used LocalStorage to store the ID (great idea!) and I was able to work in playlists, search, etc.

It still needs some more robust error trapping, a more user-friendly setup process, and the ability to add/remove tracks, artists, etc from playlists - but it's a start. What do you think? What's the biggest missing feature?

Let me know!

Thanks,
Herb

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
A bit of feedback:
Overall it works very wall. UI seems to be snappy and responsive. Couple of things to improve on:

• When selecting a song that's part of the album, it currently only plays the selected song, but stops right after that. It would be nice if it would continue to play the album.
  • After navigating to the album from search, there doesn't seem to be a way to get back (other then to select the search tab again).
  • Songs with long titles have title cut of by the "Album" and "Artist" buttons
  • Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test actually playing music in the car, since as soon as I launched the website in the car, and queued up a song, it started playing for about 2 seconds before pausing it. Went back to my computer, and everything seems to be working just fine. Both car and my phone were on WiFi signal, so it wasn't network problems.
  • Also noticed that pause/play button doesn't update it state consistently.
  • UI in general looks a bit dated, something close to what Tesla UI used to look like before initial refresh.

Last edited:
@arlorose - Thank you! Any feedback is very much appreciated.

@ivolodin - Great feedback. I'll dig into some of these issues this weekend. Design is not my forte. I'll try to tone down the gradients. That might help with performance anyway. It seems to work fine on a desktop, but the Tesla browser is so under powered - this is even more of a challenge for streamlining than back-gen mobile.

Here's another suggestion, I was planning on testing it out at some point, but never got around to doing it. On the first load, download all of the client-side JS files and put it into a local storage. Then let people bookmark the url that contains bookmarklet that just executes the code from local storage directly. Should significantly improve the first-time load performance, because the app is basically installed locally.