Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on AutoDrive Performance Requested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned my 2021 Model Y for about four months. I live in a relatively rural location on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. I have received conflicting information about AutoDrive from multiple sources so I want to clarify a few points with users who use it and understand it well. First of all, once an address has been added and the Blue Navigate on AutoDrive comes up, is it on at that time (after you engage the Autosteer with two down clicks on the right lever) or not. I have been told by others that you must press the Blue button for it to be on. AutoDrive seemed to be active for me today while driving on a four lane expressway while the Blue Navigate on AutoDrive was lit. What I saw today was a Blue line coming out of the front of the car on the screen. Does that centered Blue line mean that AutoDrive is working and engaged? Or, is that Blue line only there when changing lane or exiting the highway? If you are engaged with AutoDrive and AutoSteer but are on a two-lane road, you see the two blue lines on either side of your lane. When you just have the two blue lines, does it mean that Model Y is not in a location where AutoDrive can work and that you will only get AutoSteer reaction from the vehicle. Hopefully, the above is clear enough for a frequent AutoDrive user to understand. Help with answers to the above will be greatly appreciated.

So double click stock is "Autopilot" you should see the steering wheel turn blue.
If you have an address entered in, you will have the option for "navigate on autopilot" which should suggest lane changes and get off the highway for you.
The blue line in front of the vehicle shows that the "navigate on autopilot" is active.

What I found is on parts of my trip, there are long stretches of road with no exits. Navigation will end, and it will show the blue lines on the edges of the lane (instead of in the center). I just assumed since there isn't a way for me to exit the highway it's not going to need to navigate until closer to the next exit (to either tell me to take it, or not)

Autopilot is always engaged (blue steering wheel) but sometimes navigation won't be active depending on the road. It will automatically turn navigation back on assuming you have it selected with your destination.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Upvote 0
So double click stock is "Autopilot" you should see the steering wheel turn blue.
If you have an address entered in, you will have the option for "navigate on autopilot" which should suggest lane changes and get off the highway for you.
The blue line in front of the vehicle shows that the "navigate on autopilot" is active.

What I found is on parts of my trip, there are long stretches of road with no exits. Navigation will end, and it will show the blue lines on the edges of the lane (instead of in the center). I just assumed since there isn't a way for me to exit the highway it's not going to need to navigate until closer to the next exit (to either tell me to take it, or not)

Autopilot is always engaged (blue steering wheel) but sometimes navigation won't be active depending on the road. It will automatically turn navigation back on assuming you have it selected with your destination.
EJ:
Thank you so much. Your explanation of what you are seeing and when is exactly what I thought was happening. Just to make sure that I understand, I have my NOA (you can tell what a rookie I am because I just learned that abbreviation today while reading posts) is set to always come on automatically. The NOA is blue when it is on but most times I will not see the center blue line because I live in such a remote area, correct?

Upvote 0
I believe when the line is out the center of the car, you are on a section of road the car believes is limited access and is in the Full Self Driving mode as currently sold. You can go more than 5 mph over the limit in this mode. And it will try to navigate off ramps (but too fast so useless, be carefull or might go off road).

We have an Interstate that goes from 70 to 65 mph at a point where it goes from limited access to cross traffic. Still a divided 4 lane road. When get to that point, line goes from center to two blues on the sides and limits to 5 over again. And I believe it says Navigate on Autopilot Ending.

Reactions: legendsk
Upvote 0
I believe when the line is out the center of the car, you are on a section of road the car believes is limited access and is in the Full Self Driving mode as currently sold. You can go more than 5 mph over the limit in this mode. And it will try to navigate off ramps (but too fast so useless, be carefull or might go off road).

We have an Interstate that goes from 70 to 65 mph at a point where it goes from limited access to cross traffic. Still a divided 4 lane road. When get to that point, line goes from center to two blues on the sides and limits to 5 over again. And I believe it says Navigate on Autopilot Ending.
Thank you for the feedback. I did not realize that you could exceed the 5 mph over the speed limit in NOA. I see the center blue line so infrequently in my rural area that I did not realize that was the case. Thanks again for your feedback.

Upvote 0