Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on Hankook 21s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla installs caps on the lug nuts only if you have the grey wheels, so the silver lug nuts aren't so obvious. Is that what you mean? Otherwise, the lug nut is solid metal with no artificial veneer or cap.

The torque spec for these lugs is extremely high relative to similar vehicles. Like all lug nuts, they'll probably develop external blemishes with use, and more so given the torques involved. You can avoid these blemishes if you're careful to fully seat your socket prior to torquing and by using a torque wrench instead of an impact wrench. Tesla was probably right to suspect the shop because damage to lugs is most commonly caused by over-torquing with an impact wrench. Either your 3rd party shop or the Tesla Service Center itself is likely to blame.

My experience with Hankook 21s

My car was delivered over a year ago.

My car was uncomfortable to drive with Continental tires.
It followed the freeway brushed patterns.

Very different than my BMW experience.

We have learned a lot of things along the road with this car.
I elected to try the Hankook tires after the car went through the initial set of tires.

It was primarily the tread design I thought might be better behaved
to not follow the freeway brushed patterns.

We have subsequently discovered there are alignment issues with these cars.
It looks like they have a tendency to generate a toe out condition
plus a high degree of negative camber.

I was alarmed at the way the rear tires wore out.

I have a fully equipped shade tree mechanic garage,
so I've been doing my own tire rotation and break changes
to ceramic pads since about two weeks into the ownership experience.

So let's come back and talk about the lug nuts I'm very familiar with.
Had them in my own hands many many times.
Have watched the Ranger service technicians
change my wheels for a set of 19s early on
trying to sort out why my car drove so poorly
compared to a BMW an old one gentleman with lots of miles
sports package should be a good comparison.

Let's get back on track silver colored lug nuts on my car
have these covers on them I originally spoke about.

I was attempting to let the group being formed the service center accused
the outside tire shop of deforming the lug nuts.

Early on I spent the time to get a proper fitting socket
to not scratch the Rims and engage all the surfaces fully
of the lug nuts 21 mm or reference, six sides

So with all the excitement about how tight these we'll should be
I've spent a lot of time with my lug nuts.

The other day I noticed a screw in my back tire
I came home to deal with it.
To my surprise the tools to remove the wheels I had been using for over a year.
No longer worked.

I discovered the lug nuts had been deformed.

I had checked the torque after I had my new tires installed,
with the tools that fit the lug nuts.

After the car had been in for service three times
for alignment issues.
Is when I discovered the problem.

The service tech was accusatory
because his tools still fit the lug nuts.
And mine did not.

So this posting was meant as a heads up to those of us
trying to try different tires, when the service center is not being
responsive to our desires to try a different brand of tire.

It's not the air suspension that's going to give you trouble.
It's likely to be a scuffle over your right to choose what tires you run.
And somebody is abusing the lug nuts.
I hope this information will be helpful to protect your car and choices.

My experience with the Hankook has been good.
No perceived extra rolling resistance.
They feel a little softer when you stand on the throttle.
But I don't drive the car like that all the time.
There is a little extra noise at 70 miles an hour
sounds like the little engine.
I have 7000 miles on them so far
and the tread looks like it's wearing pretty evenly.
I cannot comment on the wet weather driving performance.
Or cold weather driving performance .
And the car still follows the freeway brushed patterns a little bit.

In my opinion based on my personal observation of intimate contact
with my model s lug nuts the tools and the service center
represented to be a professional quality are reshaping
the covers on the lug nuts.

Last edited:
Anyone notice a decrease in range with the Hankook's? After installing them, my normal ~280 w/mile round trip is now more like 310 w/mile.

At the same time I added the tires, I also had an alignment done by Tesla, where they installed the camber bolts in the rear to help even out the wear (my Conti's lasted about 17K miles, and were down to the cords in the inside edge). Perhaps a little negative camber makes for lower energy use? Do tires have to break in? Running 42 psi.

Ride seems much smoother, and handling seems a tad better, but the later could be imagination.

Anyone notice Hankook just released the version 2 of this tire ...... Ventus v12 evo2

If the tire matches the advertisement .... I'll probably be trying them out in 2-3 months ....

Steve, I have two Hankooks. I had a nail that couldn't be repaired on my still newish Conti's, so rather than buy four, I just bought two. The Evo (1)s. These Evo 2s really tout the LRR of the tire. Plus noise. Looks interesting.
Hard to compare the two against each other though. They don't have the same stats available. I'd like to know the tread wear too.

@IceAge hard to compare, because I had mine installed in November, heading into Winter. Best comparisons will come in like months (similar weather/driving conditions), which I haven't faced yet.

Last edited:
Might as well way in on this thread as I now have Hankook 21's on my Sig MS. I replaced my Continental's at ~18000 miles because a)it was clearly time due to wear and b)one of the local hoodlums in the bay area has been tossing bent razor's into streets and I found on which caused a slow leak. I replaced all 4 Continental's. The only air suspension issue is to make sure they know about Jack mode, which all the tire places in Bay Area apparently do by now!

I spoke with Fremont SC and they had no heartburn with me using Tire shop to install tires including replacing the TPMS units.

My next visit to SC, about a month ago, got questions about the performance, noise, ride, etc. BUT no problems with servicing including tire rotation, etc. I now have ~4000 miles on the HK's and no problems. I can't detect any difference in feel, roadnoise, or mileage. Since they are about 1/3rd of the price of the Conts or Perelli's I will stick with them.

jd3,

MS Sig 692
MX Sig 969

Might as well way in on this thread as I now have Hankook 21's on my Sig MS. I replaced my Continental's at ~18000 miles because a)it was clearly time due to wear and b)one of the local hoodlums in the bay area has been tossing bent razor's into streets and I found on which caused a slow leak. I replaced all 4 Continental's. The only air suspension issue is to make sure they know about Jack mode, which all the tire places in Bay Area apparently do by now!

I spoke with Fremont SC and they had no heartburn with me using Tire shop to install tires including replacing the TPMS units.

My next visit to SC, about a month ago, got questions about the performance, noise, ride, etc. BUT no problems with servicing including tire rotation, etc. I now have ~4000 miles on the HK's and no problems. I can't detect any difference in feel, roadnoise, or mileage. Since they are about 1/3rd of the price of the Conts or Perelli's I will stick with them.

jd3,

MS Sig 692
MX Sig 969

Are your tires the new Evo 2's Hankook recently released?

Drove mine around a bit yesterday. Hard to make a real comparison coming from 19" wheels with winter tires, but so far road noise seems about the same. The shop inflated to about 36psi, and the drive was initially odd (though comfortable). I inflated to 42 all around and things got stiffer and more responsive. I didn't push it too hard since I basically commuted to work and back (and then out to lowes 3 miles away), but I'll have more time behind the wheel today.

So far though, nothing standing out in either direction (good or bad), and that to me (especially with the price I paid) is perfectly acceptable.

I sure would be interested in an update.My Conti's are about to be replaced and all in all based on how I drive I am NOT happy with the wear. I'll get around 17-18k. I drive to many miles to have to swap tires every 8 months.

I just picked up a set of Silver 21's and just ordered the new V2 version that should be here this week. At a net price of $736.00 to my door for all four tires I figured it was worth the "risk". I plan to use them on road trips primarily since wearing out the + package Michelins on a highway trip seems like such a waste.

I sure would be interested in an update.My Conti's are about to be replaced and all in all based on how I drive I am NOT happy with the wear. I'll get around 17-18k. I drive to many miles to have to swap tires every 8 months.

I'm 500 miles or so in, so not much new to report (if I saw any significant wear at this point, I'd be hugely surprised). I did do some spirited take-offs on my street, and perhaps it's my imagination, but they don't seem to grip as well as the OEM tires. Took ome twisties a couple times over the weekends and didn't feel any slip. We had some rain Saturday, but I didn't have the car out until later in the day and it was dry by then.