Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on my potential purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on consolidating my roadster and my LEAF into a new Model S purchase, but don't want to break the bank in the process. I was hoping the group could help sanity check my option choices in case I'm doing anything stupid. :)

To start with, I've done fine with the range on my LEAF but now I need to make work trips between Raleigh, NC and Charlotte, NC. This seems to be easily doable by any Model S variant.

So here's what I'm planning and some reasoning behind each item...

Model: S60D
I just don't see any personal need for additional range beyond this. If I need it for some crazy reason I can always unlock the full 75kWh. I also have had a few loaner RWD Model S cars (85, P85, etc.) and hated the power delivery; it just felt sloppy for such a refined car. I'm also perfectly happy with the performance of the 60D (even though I wouldn't turn down a P100D lol). So 60 kWh and D it is...

Color: Deep Blue Metallic
I was torn between this and Multi Coat Red. I don't do grayscale cars, so these were the only two options. I think I dig the blue a bit more.

Wheels: 21" Gray Turbine
I personally can't get myself to accept the appearance of Tesla's 19" wheels. Has to be 21s, and in my opinion the gray just looks "cool" with the Deep Blue Metallic paint.

Roof: All Glass (Not Pano)
I like the extra headroom and scenic visibility, but wouldn't ever open the sunroof.

Interior: Multi-Pattern Black
I'm just not ok with paying $3,300 for leather seats. I also don't like leather that isn't perforated, it feels too hot to me.

Interior: NO PUP
The power liftgate is more of an annoyance than a benefit to me. I also wouldn't benefit from any of the leather appointments since I'm not getting leather seats.

Enhanced Autopilot but not FSD
My personal opinion is that AP2 is nothing more than a gimmick at the moment, but I can actually envision Tesla delivering a suitable set of features here in the time I'll own the car. I can't envision Tesla delivering FSD in the time I'll own the car, so I have no desire to pay for it. I can always upgrade later if they prove me wrong.

Smart Air Suspension
Originally I wanted the coil suspension since I've heard it feels more connected. But after looking at photos of the coil suspension cars on 21" wheels, I just can't do it. The ride height is way too high, and there seem to be no good aftermarket lowering options for D cars. SAS it is.

UHF Sound
I listen to a lot of music in the car, and this isn't a car I want to hack around with aftermarket stereo stuff. So I'll splurge on this and get the upgraded option. I also haven't been able to find a non UHF car to test out; none at the local store/SC.

So that's the plan for now. I'm still worried that I may regret skipping the PUP and leather, but I really just can't see spending almost $7,000 on those options. My entire 2013 LEAF isn't even worth that much. Was anyone in a similar dilemma that could report back on how they've been enjoying the car without those options?

Thanks a ton in advance for any feedback and help!

Its a bit soon for CPO AP2's but wow they are great. I think your logic is sound.
Check:
EV-CPO Hunter
teslainventory.com

They are great for finding cars and let you narrow your search.. Happy hunting. Smart Air Suspension was on my car, and I love that when I raise the suspension it flags its and when I go there again it raises it for me.

UHF is a must have.

AP1 is fantastic, I use it daily. In fact I drove it from Colorado to Houston mostly on AP.

I have the pano roof but see your point on the all glass.

Best of luck!

Reactions: jimmyz80
Absolutely love my 60(no D) and wouldn't change a thing. Just sayin if you want to save a few bucks you could probably eliminate some of your addons(D,21 inch wheels, smart air suspension etc.) without skipping a beat.

What do you think about the Model 3? I'm just curious why you are not considering buying an AP1.0 CPO now and then switching to a Model 3 75D. Even if you don't have a reservation, you could reserve one now and you will have priority over non-owners in your region who reserved it on day one, based on Tesla's statement here. My guess is, based on your location, it would be delivered in early Feb 2018, which is 11 months from now. The Model 3 75D should cost around $47,000 before options ($35,000 for based model + $8,000 for battery upgrade + $4,000 for dual motors). That's 73-47= $26,000 less than the Model S 60D before options. You should still get the $7500 tax credits which will most likely last until 30 June 2018 and then it drops to $3,750 for 2 more quarters. The Model 3 75D is expected to have 300-305 mi EPA rated range and it will supercharge faster than the S75D (in terms of range added per time) because it is more efficient. Also, second-hand Model S prices might drop after the Model 3 release. In fact, I'm expecting Tesla to discontinue the 60 and 75 kWh Model S versions because not many people will be buying those after the Model 3 release.

What do you think about the Model 3? I'm just curious why you are not considering buying an AP1.0 CPO now and then switching to a Model 3 75D. Even if you don't have a reservation, you could reserve one now and you will have priority over non-owners in your region who reserved it on day one, based on Tesla's statement here. My guess is, based on your location, it would be delivered in early Feb 2018, which is 11 months from now. The Model 3 75D should cost around $47,000 before options ($35,000 for based model + $8,000 for battery upgrade + $4,000 for dual motors). That's 73-47= $26,000 less than the Model S 60D before options. You should still get the $7500 tax credits which will most likely last until 30 June 2018 and then it drops to $3,750 for 2 more quarters. The Model 3 75D is expected to have 300-305 mi EPA rated range and it will supercharge faster than the S75D (in terms of range added per time) because it is more efficient. Also, second-hand Model S prices might drop after the Model 3 release. In fact, I'm expecting Tesla to discontinue the 60 and 75 kWh Model S versions because not many people will be buying those after the Model 3 release.

We actually have a Model 3 reserved already for my wife. As a current owner and having also stood in line on day-1, I think we should get ours fairly early in production. My original thought was to just reserve another one for myself, but then I started to think it may be nice to have one car a bit larger than the other. We occasionally do a road trip with four adults and luggage up to the NC mountains or the coast, and I'm sure the S will be a more comfortable car in that sort of situation.

I really do wonder if they'll drop the S60D as the Model 3 ships though, since they aren't THAT close in price. My spec'ed out car above comes in at ~$90k; that's double the price of the estimated average sale price on the Model 3.

There is likely going to be an overlap between the high end of the Model 3 and low end of the Model S, like there's also likely going to be a similar overlap between Y & X. And that's OK.

The 3 & Y are intended to be lower priced, more basic vehicles. They'll be smaller, with some compromises made to reduce the costs.

The S & X will be the higher end vehicles, with more room and more features, better performance and possibly better range - all at a cost.

This is similar to what other luxury brands do - so I wouldn't be surprised for Tesla to continue to have a Model S configuration in the $60K range.

The reason I think the 60 will be discontinued soon is because it was already discontinued for over a year. Then Tesla brought it back to reach their 2016 delivery target. For this year, the shareholder letter mentions only 50K Model S/X sales in the first half but nothing for the entire year. That means after June, they could discontinue the 60.

If you click HERE you can listen to Jonathan McNeill (VP of Global Sales & Service) and Elon during the Q2 2016 conference call. The video starts at the correct moment. They talk about the software limited Model S 60 and profit margins. After listening to that, it is clear to me that the software limited S60 was only introduced temporarily to reach delivery goals. At 30:31 he says the 60 has lower gross margin than other versions. This option won't be here for long. Tesla is not going to introduce a new software limited version. They have already discontinued the X60D. They will discontinue the S60D soon.

As you said, the S60D is more expensive than the longest range Model 3 which will have a lot more range and cost much less. Cabin space shouldn't be a problem. Both cars are 1435mm high. The width is very close too. Check out the dimensions on wikipedia, here and here. The Model 3 is shorter but they have moved the front seat forward and reduced the trunk space. The cabin space might be the same.

Last edited:
I like your plan, except for the wheels. If you really, really must have the look of the 21" wheels, then you'll do what you'll do. However, judging from the posts around here and my recent discussion with a local guy who does a lot of work on Teslas, you're pretty much buying a problem. The car is so heavy that it just doesn't get along well with such low profile tires. Wear, potholes, and even blowouts can be a problem.

And that's all before you get to rims getting knocked out of round much more easily than the 19" ones.

If you just can't live with the 19", then it's an easy fix, and you very likely can get some higher quality 21" wheels for the same price as the stock upgrade or a little more. Granted, you can go from 21" to 19", as well, but it'll probably cost you a lot more.

[Cue all the folks that haven't had a problem with their 21" wheels . . . yet]

That blue really is a gorgeous color.

Reactions: jimmyz80