Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback on the "new look"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Although I hate to be negative about a newly-revamped site that represents a lot of work, I have to say that I do not care for the new, lighter look. It follows what seems to be the "fashion trend" or lighter fonts, lighter backgrounds, and less contrast among screen objects. In my view (pun intended), this makes the site more difficult to read and navigate.
Which is, by the way, the same issue that many of us have had with the recent changes to Tesla's UI in which fonts were once again made lighter and smaller and less prominent. The most egregious example (in the car) is the "Hold" button, which I can no longer see in daylight.
Even as I type this, I can see that it is more difficult to see and read what I am typing.
I simply do not understand what the fascination is with making text lighter and less readable. How does that help anyone?
Please bring back darker fonts that are more readable, and improve the contrast among page elements.
(I know you won't and that it is too late, so I am flailing at a windmill, but I had to express my view, sorry!)

Try "Dark Mode" in user settings. Very high contrast.
Thanks! I was not aware of that. So I tried it, but don't care for the totally black screen, either.
I prefer the previous screen, with dark text on a light screen.
I guess i am hard to please.

It would still be informative to know why anyone things that reducing contrast, putting gray text on a bright background, is helpful or in any way an improvement. It is fashionable, I suppose, but definitely not conducive to communication. And isn't communication what the forum is, or should be, about?

Although I hate to be negative about a newly-revamped site that represents a lot of work, I have to say that I do not care for the new, lighter look. It follows what seems to be the "fashion trend" or lighter fonts, lighter backgrounds, and less contrast among screen objects. In my view (pun intended), this makes the site more difficult to read and navigate.
Actually, the new design light theme is higher in contrast than the old one. A couple members have already complained that it is too constrasty for their liking.

I think most of your issues would be solved by simply making the font larger which you can do in your account preferences here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/account/preferences

However, when I get a chance, I am going to play with the font weights, and probably also adjust the default font size.

I agree with David29. The bolding to indicate new posts to a thread vs. nothing new is very subtle on my monitor.

The issue of the unread thread titles not being bold enough is really not about it not being bold enough. It is virtually the same difference as we had on the old site. The main difference is we used to have a red dot next to the unread threads on the thread list. We will be adding that back shortly so this issue should be resolved.

Agree with comments above about contrast. See attached screenshot. On my iPhone 12 the bottom icons in the middle are covered. What are they ??
D6429F9B-098C-4C02-BC5C-05C40A6AFF82.jpeg

Thanks for making the ‘Like’ buttons usable on mobile devices

Code:
┈┈┈┈┈┈▕▔╲
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▏▕
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▏▕▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂╱┈▕▂▂▂▏
▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏
▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏
▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I

Reactions: danny
When you quote someone, the red box of doom on the bottom the screen fills up your screen and won’t let you see what is happening.
Hahaha, well the box will be staying, but we are going to change the red color to probably a dark grey.

The cursor is behind the rid bar and you can’t see what you are typing....
OK, let me test this myself. Thanks.

Not sure if that's the right place - but here's bug, needs fixing: all the links in this post are broken
List of DaveT posts
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will get that fixed.

The cursor is behind the rid bar and you can’t see what you are typing....
Screenshot_20210315-014816.png

You just need to scroll further down the page, not further down the editor. If you are having trouble grabbing outside the editor, then close the keyboard for a second to do it.

The problem isn't really the red bar, though yes it does take up slightly more screen real estate. However, we believe the majority of users appreciate the quick one handed access that it gives them to the most important functions.

There is a reason that Google has mostly dropped the top slide out menu in favor of the bottom menu bar. Apple has been doing it forever in its apps.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
View attachment 644575

You just need to scroll further down the page, not further down the editor. If you are having trouble grabbing outside the editor, then close the keyboard for a second to do it.

The problem isn't really the red bar, though yes it does take up slightly more screen real estate. However, we believe the majority of users appreciate the quick one handed access that it gives them to the most important functions.

There is a reason that Google has mostly dropped the top menu slide out menu in favor of the bottom menu bar. Apple has been doing it forever in its apps.

negative sir. Once you scroll down, the cursor is blocked again each time you roll over to a new line. Then you have to scroll again.

also it’s a bit dumb to not have the screen in the right place in relationship to the cursors. “Just scroll up” is sorta a lazy response, IMO.

Reactions: Bacalao
So I said down, not up. We have had zero issues testing it on our mobile devices. Can you please provide details about what mobile device you use including browser, etc? Or feel free to take a video capture if you like. Unfortunately it is hard to address the issue when we can't reproduce it on our end.
I will try to take a video. It doesn’t always happen, I’ve noticed. But the screen should focus on where the cursor is without having to scroll. I am using an iPhone 11 safari....