Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feel my Tesla P85 has lost 20kw....

Talk to Tesla?

• Total voters

jwb2781

May 16, 2019
Kirkland
Ok, So please Help me with this I have a 2013 Tesla P85: Today I charged to 100%(247 miles)....I try and do it once every 3 months. Drove 125 miles at 265wh/m....when I stopped I had 30% battery left....this tells me I wouldn't even make it 200 miles! How is this possible? I thought If I drove under 300wh/m I should get at least the rated miles? Can I call tesla and have them do a test, or get my battery replaced? Miles on car is 85K.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
Sounds like your battery has been capped. There is an extensive (5500 posts and counting) thread on the topic about this on the 85kWh battery. Basically, what they did is reduce the max voltage that each cell in the battery can charge to from 4.2 volts to about 4.09 volts. Then they changed the range indicator so that a 100% SOC corresponds to what used to be about an 89% SOC. I’ve lost 27 miles range as a result. Many owners of cars with the 85kWh battery have lost 30 miles or more of range.

if you ask Tesla, they will tell you that your battery is fine. There is a class action lawsuit on the matter.

You may wish to fet a copy of ScanMyTesla for an Android phone/tablet (there is no iPhone version), along with an OBDLink scanner module and an adapter cable. Thus will allow you to monitor your battery (and a lot of other things on the car). It will also tell you how much capacity if your battery is available to use. Because of the capping, I only have 68.7kWh available (it was 74kWH before the capping). I had Tesla perform a CAC test on the battery numerous times and they keep telling me the battery is 30% better than other 85kWh batteries of similar age and mileage.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
Btw, how do you only use 265 Wh/m on a P85? My lifetime average is 347 Wh/m. Today, my 2013 P85 consumed an average of 367 Wh/m on a trip I’m doing.

jwb2781

May 16, 2019
Kirkland
Btw, how do you only use 265 Wh/m on a P85? My lifetime average is 347 Wh/m. Today, my 2013 P85 consumed an average of 367 Wh/m on a trip I’m doing.
My lifetime is closer to 350kwh....and here is a photo of my report I took today when I got home....doesn't make sense..I have never tried driving more then 130 miles on a charge.

Attachments

• 20190929_165017.jpg
    20190929_165017.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 28

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Just back to my original point that the vast majority of effected owners don't have any idea that it's because Tesla intentionally capped the capacity if their battery with a software update.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, So please Help me with this I have a 2013 Tesla P85: Today I charged to 100%(247 miles)....I try and do it once every 3 months. Drove 125 miles at 265wh/m....when I stopped I had 30% battery left....this tells me I wouldn't even make it 200 miles! How is this possible? I thought If I drove under 300wh/m I should get at least the rated miles? Can I call tesla and have them do a test, or get my battery replaced? Miles on car is 85K.
This is a classic symptom of a failed battery module. I would engage service and ask them to perform a battery health check. This is not a software issue. If it were, the displayed range would have been reduced. In your case the displayed range is correct, but the vehicle can't pull that energy out of the pack. My money is on one or more failed modules.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC