Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feel the quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who with... Apple?
Apples are not the only fruit

how does the meme go..
Being British in the 21st Century means
Driving your German, American Chinese car to an Irish pub to drink German beer ( or an Australian wine for the ladies)
On the way home you get and Indian Takeaway and sit on your Italian sofa to watch American Dramas in front of your Japanese TV (made with Taiwanese semi conductors).
All the while on your Korean Smartphone with its US OS being influenced by Russian Trolls.

Something like that.

Some manufacturers used to have a problem with so-called 'Friday cars'. Tesla avoids that by making them all Friday quality.
I drove into town yesterday after pre-warming my S - drizzle and 2C. I used to get occasional issues with B pillar cams misting, but yesterday the msg was 'multiple cameras blocked or blinded'. So much for my vision based FSD...
Also, after the last update, I'm getting dipped headlights at every chevron bend and off-road parked car with no lights and many road marking posts - just when you need better driver vision.
The condensation thing is a Tesla 'season'. There were a few threads pulling apart light clusters and finding poorly welded seals between clamshell halves. But poor humidity management combined with temperature changes in general really exacerbates the problems.

It does really look bad that Tesla have this dogged determination that their sensor suite is fine and their cars don't misbehave.

Vision only really makes no sense when the cameras are so prone to fog up under certain conditions.... and it's obviously and issue that Tesla have been made very well aware of but done nothing to address.

My Kona Electric that cost 1/3rd of the 2019 MS R manages humidity infinitely better and even turns the HVAC in to a dehumidify / vent mode if it detects excessive humidity.

Even the driving lights on the MS fog up inside. The issue with condensation inside headlights is that it can defract / diffuse the light beam.

I'm not sure this needs much drama, report it to Tesla and book a ranger visit.
When I had all my lights nicely covered inside with condensation the service center just said it was normal.

In time the poor manufacturing of some units came to light, but Tesla stick to ’not a problem unless the light unit is filled with water.

I get the impression from this and several other posts that the OP regrets buying his Tesla and wishes to go back to his Jeep. In this frame of mind any Tesla issue becomes a problem.
To counterbalance this I changed a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Tesla MX (Raven LR) 2 years back and have never regretted it. I put winter tyres on when the clocks change and the AWD Tesla with winter tyres beats the Jeep hands down in snow. I have never had a single issue with the Tesla (apart from a broken wing mirror which was fixed within a week) and absolutely love the car.
For me a bit of condensation in the rear lights is a non-issue and certainly no reason to hand the car back. But I accept that I have probably been lucky with the build quality of my MX.
Each to their own view but personally this condensation is a really minor issue which other car manufacturers suffer from as well.

I'm not sure this needs much drama, report it to Tesla and book a ranger visit.
Actually I think it needs a lot more drama. I can’t believe people defend Tesla’s often shoddy build quality. Misting lights aren’t acceptable and people should kick up a fuss. Tesla must love the fact that so many owners just tolerate, and even defend, the unacceptable as if it’s a perfectly normal part of ownership.

this condensation is a really minor issue
If definitely just a cosmetic issue and very rare, then I might agree that it could be insignificant. But as well as the potential optical effect / performance degradation, there could well be longer term effects such as corrosion or electronic failure - depending on where the humidity ends up and for how long.

Last edited:
Actually I think it needs a lot more drama. I can’t believe people defend Tesla’s often shoddy build quality. Misting lights aren’t acceptable and people should kick up a fuss. Tesla must love the fact that so many owners just tolerate, and even defend, the unacceptable as if it’s a perfectly normal part of ownership.
Who is defending what? I've had 4 rear lights replaced by simply creating tickets with a picture then a ranger coming to my house and doing it in a few minutes. There are hundreds of existing posts in this forum about other people doing the same.

A minority of people are spoiling this forum by piling on to every post with the same old whinges. What possible value does it achieve? No one who matters is listening here, however they will be looking at the numbers of service requests and the numbers of repairs. Maybe that's why there are new rear lights coming on the very newest Model 3s now.

Speak to Tesla, explain an issue and be polite remembering that they are still people at the end of the day.

I get the impression from this and several other posts that the OP regrets buying his Tesla and wishes to go back to his Jeep. In this frame of mind any Tesla issue becomes a problem.
To counterbalance this I changed a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Tesla MX (Raven LR) 2 years back and have never regretted it. I put winter tyres on when the clocks change and the AWD Tesla with winter tyres beats the Jeep hands down in snow.

You are correct, the poor build quality of the Tesla has made me regret my purchase, 100%, I realised this after only a couple of days, coupled with pathetic customer service/support (almost impossible to speak to someone regarding any issues or concerns).
I've had the car in for the failed charge port door and couldn't even get a courtesy car. I've created a service request for this current condensation issue and I'm waiting longer than I'm personally comfortable with. Actually, having to take the car in to a dealer for repairs twice already on a 4 week old car is not only a bit of an inconvenience, but actually an embarrassment.

Do I want to go back to my Jeep, well I've had a few and the last a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon was not without faults but given what I've experienced these past 4 weeks, I would in a heartbeat.

On your point of the Grand Cherokee, as you happen to mention it, I too owned Grand Cherokee's, both a WJ and a WK2 and in terms of build quality, both, especially the latter were in a completely different league to the Tesla, for one the auto wipers and lights worked correctly 99% of the time, the car felt solid, no rattles, no wind noise etc etc. If you look inside the boot of the Tesla, the fabric lining on the sides, its as thin as paper and I can see exposed single core wires and stuff, it screams, cheap and nasty.

Reactions: vescrig
To counterbalance this I changed a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Tesla MX (Raven LR) 2 years back and have never regretted it. I put winter tyres on when the clocks change and the AWD Tesla with winter tyres beats the Jeep hands down in snow. I have never had a single issue with the Tesla (apart from a broken wing mirror which was fixed within a week) and absolutely love the car.
For me a bit of condensation in the rear lights is a non-issue and certainly no reason to hand the car back. But I accept that I have probably been lucky with the build quality of my MX.
Each to their own view but personally this condensation is a really minor issue which other car manufacturers suffer from as well.
Much to my surprise my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 litre V8 turned out to the most reliable car I've ever owned. 4 years absolutely trouble free - never missed a beat over 75,000 miles. I bought it and expected the worst quite frankly. Forums might suggest I was lucky. It used to eat tyres though. Don't mention the petrol costs. Depreciation was quite notable too. A bit too big for UK car parks though.

Reactions: plisken
Who is defending what? I've had 4 rear lights replaced by simply creating tickets with a picture then a ranger coming to my house and doing it in a few minutes. There are hundreds of existing posts in this forum about other people doing the same.

A minority of people are spoiling this forum by piling on to every post with the same old whinges. What possible value does it achieve? No one who matters is listening here, however they will be looking at the numbers of service requests and the numbers of repairs. Maybe that's why there are new rear lights coming on the very newest Model 3s now.

Speak to Tesla, explain an issue and be polite remembering that they are still people at the end of the day.
Plenty of people defend Tesla’s many shortcomings, though not so much as they used to. I’ve read some ridiculous excuses such as “you have to remember that a Tesla isn’t a car, it’s a computer”. Good grief.

You had your lights replaced, which is great and exactly what should happen. Others have been dismissed by Tesla because, apparently, fogged headlights are perfectly acceptable, even in a brand new car. They aren’t.

I haven’t read anyone spoiling this forum with their whinges. I have read people mentioning the same perfectly genuine issues many times because these issues are seemingly intractable. I have a permanent beef about - among other things - the utterly crap windscreen wipers and auto headlights. Umpteen software updates have improved the wipers somewhat but the lights are as crap as ever. These are not optional extras, they are paid for features of the car which should just work as intended. Perhaps the only good reason for me not “whingeing” is that Tesla are clearly incapable of fixing them so I might as well not waste my time and energy.

As for being polite, I wouldn’t be anything else. That doesn’t mean you should accept shoddy, sub standard service, which should be challenged whenever it happens.

Umpteen software updates

might as well not waste my time and energy.
The fact that hope springs eternal keeps the discussion going. 'Still not fixed!' Yes, it's annoying, and I posted multiple times about Album Artwork that vanished from the USB media player.... but since it got fixed, guess what? I've not mentioned it again. (Edit: expect now!)

FSD, wipers, headlights, Window Open messages / recalibration doesn't fix, humidity / fogged cameras / light units, phantom braking, incorrect speed from map data, random emergency braking / steering messages..... plenty to keep posting about.

I am always hopeful that by hanging out on TMC I'll be better informed and more aware of things that might be 'just me' cf stuff effecting many owners

You are correct, the poor build quality of the Tesla has made me regret my purchase, 100%
"UPDATE: Tesla has just dismissed this completely and cancelled my service visit."

As an observation - I think you're at that proverbial "between a rock and a hard place" now.

If you're that dissatisfied with Tesla... the constant bashing your head against a brick wall with CS...the comparisons with Jeep Grand Cherokees and the MIC poor build comments and general negativity you seem to be exuding - then maybe, just maybe its time to cut your losses and get out of the brand? Maybe go back to Jeep, and be happier?

If you're that dissatisfied with Tesla... the constant bashing your head against a brick wall with CS...the comparisons with Jeep Grand Cherokees and the MIC poor build comments and general negativity you seem to be exuding - then maybe, just maybe its time to cut your losses and get out of the brand? Maybe go back to Jeep, and be happier?

Or I could just accept poor quality, terrible customer service and be a fanboy like...