Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feel the quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Tesla has just dismissed this completely and cancelled my service visit.
I’ve just noticed that I’ve got this problem on my September 21 M3P. Rear lights fogged up. I’ve put in a service request and if Tesla fob me off and cancel it I’ll put in another request tomorrow and the day after and the day after until they do something. Totally unacceptable.

I’m otherwise reasonably satisfied with my car. I’d read this forum before I bought it so I expected the awful wipers and headlights, phantom braking and various other niggles and haven’t felt the need to whinge about them much. It’s a good car but certainly not a great car.

Or I could just accept poor quality, terrible customer service and be a fanboy like...

Well the choice is up to you really isn't it. There are plenty of things that I prefer with my previous car (M135i) compared to the Model 3 LR that I've got now (see my thread about it for more details) but just because I'm keeping the Tesla doesn't warrant being called a 'Tesla fanboy' in my opinion. My car, my money, I can choose what I want to do. And you can do the same. Someone is making the simple suggestion that if you're not happy this early on, you might want to consider your options - which is good advice.

"UPDATE: Tesla has just dismissed this completely and cancelled my service visit."

As an observation - I think you're at that proverbial "between a rock and a hard place" now.

If you're that dissatisfied with Tesla... the constant bashing your head against a brick wall with CS...the comparisons with Jeep Grand Cherokees and the MIC poor build comments and general negativity you seem to be exuding - then maybe, just maybe its time to cut your losses and get out of the brand? Maybe go back to Jeep, and be happier?
A more positive suggestion might be for Tesla to get their collective finger out and improve their often shoddy service. Having to tolerate poor build quality (which has improved considerably with MIC cars) and poor customer service is apparently a part of the “privilege” of owning a Tesla.

Or I could just accept poor quality, terrible customer service and be a fanboy like...
Yes - we know all that...

As someone else said on the thread - what value with the negativity you keep repeating on here will this achieve? Inevitably in your current experience - you'll find other issues, put them on here and the cycle continues...

As a self confessed consumer matters nerd and a professional moaner, I have had to make a few complaints about things I've bought that have been not to my expectations... I've always made the noise with someone higher up with the brand, or somewhere the company are actually listening to you... Just trying to help and make sense of this.

Or ultimately as I said, maybe cut your losses go back to a brand you feel happier with.... Peace and love my friend, peace and love...😍

Last edited:
As someone else said on the thread - what value with the negativity you keep repeating on here will this achieve? Inevitably - you'll find other issues, put them on here and the cycle continues...
Isn’t this supposed to be a forum where people can air their perfectly legitimate concerns and even grievances? Are we to reserve the forum for sycophantic hero worship of Tesla and St Elon the Musk? Perhaps anyone who offers any criticism or negativity should be taken out and publicly horse whipped 🤣😂

I am an overwhelmingly positive person, but if something is a pile of bull excrement I’m not afraid to say so.

Reactions: RobbieBurns
Isn’t this supposed to be a forum where people can air their perfectly legitimate concerns and even grievances? Are we to reserve the forum for sycophantic hero worship of Tesla and St Elon the Musk? Perhaps anyone who offers any criticism or negativity should be taken out and publicly horse whipped 🤣😂

I am an overwhelmingly positive person, but if something is a pile of bull excrement I’m not afraid to say so.
Of course - you're totally correct my friend! Diverse opinons and views, but also helpful information, tips, and experiences and finding out more about the car... That's the beauty of this forum.

Nothing about being a hero worshiper or whatever - that's what you're saying.

Of course - you're totally correct my friend! Diverse opinons and views, but also helpful information, tips, and experiences and finding out more about the car... That's the beauty of this forum.

Nothing about being a hero worshiper or whatever - that's what you're saying.
I’m not for one moment suggesting that you are a hero worshiper or fanboy but there are plenty around. One of my favourite posts began “Elon doesn’t breath the same air as us mere mortals”. It made me barf like a chicken, and I couldn’t believe that someone would actually put their name to such tosh 🤣

Reactions: RobbieBurns
I’m not for one moment suggesting that you are a hero worshiper or fanboy but there are plenty around. One of my favourite posts began “Elon doesn’t breath the same air as us mere mortals”. It made me barf like a chicken, and I couldn’t believe that someone would actually put their name to such tosh 🤣
Indeed - I have seen these kind of posts...

Listen - we know its not a perfect brand - as other people have also said, And don't get me started on the V11 update! 🤣

Reactions: Hurricane
You are correct, the poor build quality of the Tesla has made me regret my purchase, 100%, I realised this after only a couple of days, coupled with pathetic customer service/support (almost impossible to speak to someone regarding any issues or concerns).
I've had the car in for the failed charge port door and couldn't even get a courtesy car. I've created a service request for this current condensation issue and I'm waiting longer than I'm personally comfortable with. Actually, having to take the car in to a dealer for repairs twice already on a 4 week old car is not only a bit of an inconvenience, but actually an embarrassment.

Do I want to go back to my Jeep, well I've had a few and the last a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon was not without faults but given what I've experienced these past 4 weeks, I would in a heartbeat.

On your point of the Grand Cherokee, as you happen to mention it, I too owned Grand Cherokee's, both a WJ and a WK2 and in terms of build quality, both, especially the latter were in a completely different league to the Tesla, for one the auto wipers and lights worked correctly 99% of the time, the car felt solid, no rattles, no wind noise etc etc. If you look inside the boot of the Tesla, the fabric lining on the sides, its as thin as paper and I can see exposed single core wires and stuff, it screams, cheap and nasty.
I had a VW ID.3 that had all kinds of problems when I had it new. The dealer had the car in for a month unable to fix one of them, and had me driving around in a Polo courtesy car. But once I got past those teething issues, the car was bullet proof ever since and I really liked it a lot! I'm swapping it for a Tesla not because I don't like the VW, but because I really like the Tesla.

Moral of the story being, lots of modern cars have issues from new these days. Who is to say that whatever you get instead of the Tesla wouldn't have issues that bug you too? I very nearly rejected the ID.3, but I'm glad now that I didn't because other than the first couple of months I owned it, I think it's been a fantastic car!

Reactions: EVMeister
Yes, but it would be nice if people read or tagged onto the exiting threads for these common issues. They may even learn what criteria Tesla use for determining if a light should be replaced.
Isn’t that the point? The criteria that Tesla, in their deeply flawed wisdom, use is often quite clearly WRONG. And there is always crossover between different threads.

Isn’t that the point? The criteria that Tesla, in their deeply flawed wisdom, use is often quite clearly WRONG. And there is always crossover between different threads.
If you look at the other threads, you will see the criteria and if you report the issue using that criteria you will likely get your lights fixed. Even in this thread you have people saying that they got their lights replaced, so despite what the OP has been told Tesla will fix them.
Tesla are not unique in having poor customer service, but in this forum you will see that persistence does work.

Something very apposite in seeing @RobbieBurns like a comment that includes "barf like a chicken"

I’m all for people echoing their issues and others being free to ignore the threads completely if they like.

If I want an Elon/Tesla circlejerk I’ll just look at the replies on one of his tweets, or on /r/teslamotors on Reddit.

That being said, stuff like how thin the material might be in the boot is stuff that could have easily been noted on a test drive or even on inspection on delivery. Pointing it out after you’ve taken delivery of the car seems strange to me and does suggest a tendency to find fault in everything once you’ve fallen out of love with the car.

The rear lights on the car are a weak point for sure. It may be different with the latest generation ones but as far as I know it’s basically pot luck as to whether they have any leak along the seams. There was a video posted on here somewhere that I don’t have to hand where the owner fixed it themselves. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

If you look at the other threads, you will see the criteria and if you report the issue using that criteria you will likely get your lights fixed. Even in this thread you have people saying that they got their lights replaced, so despite what the OP has been told Tesla will fix them.
Tesla are not unique in having poor customer service, but in this forum you will see that persistence does work.
I have read many comments on this particular topically and it seems to me that Tesla do not apply the criteria in a consistent way. I hope Tesla will fix the OP’s lights but they’re going about it in a funny way by cancelling his service request.

Tesla do not apply the criteria in a consistent way.
^^^^ this.

You don't have to read any threads that don't interest. And if all discussions were fully optimised and trimmed to the bone there would probably be no more than 100 (rather long) stagnant threads that drift towards endless 'Same here' posts.

Tesla's lack of consistency really encourages endless churning and questioning because it's hard to know when you've reached 'the truth' (if that ever happens!)

Reactions: plisken