Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling a bit Squeamish

Have I made a wise decision giving up my SL-550?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bit squeamish today. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to turn in my Mercedes SL-550, a car that I have loved. However, I decided when that lease was up, I was going to give Tesla a try. I have test driven it multiple times and was impressed with many things (with the possible exception of some of the creature comforts the Mercedes offered). Anyway as I prepared the vehicle for return today I started getting a pang of fear. I ordered a P90D that is due to be delivered at the end of May early June, and will contain the refresh items.

My fears are:

I've loved driving a sports roadster...my wife has loved it...and she can't figure out why I would want a sedan (other than performance and the lack of fossil fuel...I am questioning this myself)?

What if I run out of charge or the car doesn't charge with enough time for the distance I am going?

What if I don't like the Tesla and really miss some of the creature comforts I enjoyed in the Mercedes (hey a massage during a long drive performed by your seat is pretty cool)?

What if I can't get used to driving without hearing the roar of the motor?

What if I can't get used to regenerative breaking?

And on, and on.....

Everyone here for the most part seems to love Tesla, help me see the new things I will be gaining in this bargain that I am missing.

Thanks

I am not yet a Tesla owner (probably will be before the end of the year), but I've been driving a plug-in hybrid for the past 3 years. And while I can't speak to your fears about creature comforts, range, etc...I can almost assure you that you will not miss the sound of an internal combustion engine even a little bit. I have come to hate having to drive my BMW because I can't stand listening to the engine. And I could write a book about how horrible the engine noise is in my Fisker Karma. Trust me, you will come to love the smooth, instantaneous acceleration unaccompanied by "VROOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!...clunk...VROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!....clunk....VROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!...etc...). And, if you are anything like me, you'll sneer at people who spent an equivalent amount of money to drive a car that belches smoke and fumes.

I'm on the fence as well. I was ready to pull the trigger, but when my wife picked me up after an extended test drive in her 2015 750, I was reminded of the obvious short comings and sacrifices on a car that leases for twice as much.

Granted, a loaded model S will smoke the 750 on acceleration and overall drivetrain smoothness and coolness. But to spend so much more money and get much less in many departments is a difficult call.

Hell, I drove Benzes for more than 40 (!) years and gave them up for a Tesla Model S last fall. I had my hesitations, as well. And yes, there are some creature comfort advantages to the Mercedes Benz. But I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and the car will quickly grow on you. believe me, you won't miss gas stations! Or the MB service places.

I've had various MBs over the past 20 years. I never thought I'd get anything else, especially an electric car. Believe it or not, the first thing that got me thinking about electric was my wife getting a Nissan Leaf last year. She wanted to wait for the "$35,000 Tesla", but decided to go with the Leaf because of the lack of information at the time about what we now know is the Model 3. Damn, that Leaf is fun to drive, but of course, nothing like the Model S. My E350 lease is up in June, and I decided to check out a Tesla. WOW!!! It's amazing. I've gone for two test drives; one an extended test drive for a few hours after I had placed my order (before confirmation). I can't wait to get it - late May delivery. I'm absolutely sure I'll never look back.

Last edited:
Ok - Have to finish this thread. Took delivery of my P90DL earlier this week. I love, love, love it. I miss a few of the Mercedes bells and whistles, but this car is simply awesome. Goodbye SL550!
Congrats! I sold my SL55 AMG about a month after getting my 85D as I I realized I wasn't going to drive it anymore. Now, I'd still like a two seater convertible-but it's got to be electric (and more of a GT than the Tesla Roadster).