Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling blue...[trouble finding door handle in the dark]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have found a problem with my (otherwise fine) new blue Model 3 in the middle of a northern-European winter...

Black de-chromed door handles on a dark blue car are really hard to find on a dark night!

This was never the case on my previous cars which (a) didn't have such aerodynamically-flush handles and (b) had puddle lights and things which would give you some illumination when you walked up to it. With the Tesla, I'm in the dark until I can find the handle, and I can't find the handle in the dark.

Anyone else have the same problem?

I guess I could get a key fob which might allow me to turn on some illumination in advance, or use the watch app. But the magical automatic unlocking is spoiled a bit as both my wife and I have to grope around the wet door to find the way in...

:)

Reactions: Blue Magoo
Might be worth getting a small and compact torch to keep in your pocket? Annoying having to get it out to use it, but would solve the issue. Sometimes I can't see my chrome handles on my Model 3 if it's dark enough, either. But over time I've gotten quite used to their exact position so can usually find them without seeing them.

If you use the app to remote unlock the car, does it turn on any lights?

Sadly, no - I just went and tried. Well, yes, it turns on the interior lights and the headlights but neither of these actually help you see the doorhandles :-(

Not, I'm sorry to say, as cool as my old i3 which did light up the doorhandles... and had cool blue interior LEDs until you opened the door!

20151219-23133107-Edit-600.jpg

Sadly, no - I just went and tried. Well, yes, it turns on the interior lights and the headlights but neither of these actually help you see the doorhandles :-(

Not, I'm sorry to say, as cool as my old i3 which did light up the doorhandles... and had cool blue interior LEDs until you opened the door!

View attachment 628100

You would think, with the interior lights on to frame the windows and B pillar, you could develop the muscle memory to figure out where the door handles are.

Maybe a dog trainer could help in this case, and as a bonus, you would get a treat every time you successfully find the handle!

• Funny
Reactions: SilentFlight
:) Yes, perhaps you're right.

On the other hand, if I have to take my phone out to unlock, it would be much quicker just to turn on the flashlight!
Unlocking on my watch is much quicker though; perhaps I'll do that.

For now, it can go on the (admittedly fairly short) list of things I miss from the i3... :)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
When the light burned out in my garage, I had that problem of not finding the handle easily. I practiced going from the door post to the handle a few times, now I can find it if needed, even without getting out my iPhone first. Too bad the lighting is not better where ever you are parking in such darkness.

Ha! It’s on my own driveway! But I live on the edge of a field - not much ambient light around here. There’s even a light on the garage but it’s directly behind the car, so it illuminates the boot nicely but leaves the door handles in darkness.

You’re right, though: if I follow the line of the back of the window glass down, it takes me to the door handle!