Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling Cheated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Short version: Bought a Model x July 18, they caused us to drive to the SC for pickup 2 times when the car wasn't ready. They complimented us a 2 year service. Took the car in today, 1.5 hour drive each way. The invoice shows, 2 new wiper blades. They didn't even check the tire pressure. I could have saved myself a lot of money replacing my own wiper blades and not having to lose a day of work over this. I was under the impression the remove brake calipers and clean and lube the parts. No that didn't happen. Just seems like a waste of time and what did I really receive. Anyone else who has had the 2 year service chime in as to what was completed?

Short version: Bought a Model x July 18, they caused us to drive to the SC for pickup 2 times when the car wasn't ready. They complimented us a 2 year service. Took the car in today, 1.5 hour drive each way. The invoice shows, 2 new wiper blades. They didn't even check the tire pressure. I could have saved myself a lot of money replacing my own wiper blades and not having to lose a day of work over this. I was under the impression the remove brake calipers and clean and lube the parts. No that didn't happen. Just seems like a waste of time and what did I really receive. Anyone else who has had the 2 year service chime in as to what was completed?
The service plans are an absolutely joke and a scam. Sorry, you got taken for a ride in more ways than one.

Reactions: P85_DA
Service is not their strong suit. My model X has low tire pressure the 2nd day I took delivery. They could've at least pumped the air to the tire before selling me the car. Had to pump the air myself, good thing I wasn't half way on a long trip.

Service is not their strong suit. My model X has low tire pressure the 2nd day I took delivery. They could've at least pumped the air to the tire before selling me the car. Had to pump the air myself, good thing I wasn't half way on a long trip.

Mine had low tire pressure the day they home delivered my X, unbelievably the deliver guy drove from SC 40 miles away and did not even pump up the air with the low tire pressure warning on the dashboard all the time.

The service plan was a thing back in 2018, 1st yr, 2nd yr, .... Then they removed maintenance items from the schedule multiple times and the schedule is now close to nothing. I went for a 2-year maintenance a couple months ago, was told no need to do so. It's good for general owners except those bought the service plans.

They started sometime this year to ask for pre-approvals for the full charges prior to the service, regardless the reasons. If it is under warranty they won't actually charge you. I felt that it's their way to discourage their customers from asking for warranty services. My driver side window occasionally got stuck (probably related to weather) since the beginning of my ownership. They checked on it several times and told me nothing wrong. They finally adjusted the window track earlier this year, when my car decided to act up in front of their eyes. The previous checks were before they asked for pre-approval of charges. If they were done today I would risk for being actually charged about $100 a time or argue with them (begging for their mercy?).

Not to defend Service Center cause I recently had a bad experience with a Service Center but the Break Calipers last way longer on EVs because of Regenerative Breaking System. I had a BMW i3 and they did not replace that either when it was in Service Period saying that it is still in good condition.

Not to defend Service Center cause I recently had a bad experience with a Service Center but the Break Calipers last way longer on EVs because of Regenerative Breaking System. I had a BMW i3 and they did not replace that either when it was in Service Period saying that it is still in good condition.
Surprised you did not need pads AND rotors. Every one of our ICE BMWs needed those every 2 years or so. Thanks EV and regen braking.

Last edited:

Be aware you cannot just go to your local autoparts store and get wiper blades for an X. You need to order them from Tesla or a 3rd party that now makes them. The blades squirt water along their length.

With only 35k miles, I had to have all 4 rotors and all pads replaced. I bought the X in May (a used 2017). I thought the brakes should’ve been replaced BEFORE I bought the car. I mentioned this to the advisor and he reduced the $1700 estimate down to $1400. That helped a little, but brakes were the last thing I thought I would have to replace on a Tesla. Apparently, the previous owner (this car came from the Northeast US), never bothered having a service performed on the car, including never having the brakes cleaned or serviced. The front pads were down to 4mm. Who uses EV brakes like this? The way I drive and maintain my vehicles, I can guarantee you that I’ll never need my pads or rotors replaced again.

With only 35k miles, I had to have all 4 rotors and all pads replaced. I bought the X in May (a used 2017). I thought the brakes should’ve been replaced BEFORE I bought the car. I mentioned this to the advisor and he reduced the $1700 estimate down to $1400. That helped a little, but brakes were the last thing I thought I would have to replace on a Tesla. Apparently, the previous owner (this car came from the Northeast US), never bothered having a service performed on the car, including never having the brakes cleaned or serviced. The front pads were down to 4mm. Who uses EV brakes like this? The way I drive and maintain my vehicles, I can guarantee you that I’ll never need my pads or rotors replaced again.

I know people who drive EVs like this. They do not like regen. So since the EV wheels will freely rotate with minimal drag, they end up having to brake hard to get the car slowed down at every light and off-ramp.