Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling judged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the other piece of this I am oh-so-sensitively getting at.....they couldn't afford an X, or an S, and in most cases, even a 3. It's the USED/10-yr-old minivan crowd. My wife and I (DINKs) stick out like sore thumbs on our street. :rolleyes:
I feel your pain. We live in a community where there's multiple kids in most families, along with there being only one source of income. Normally the first thing that comes up is "when are we going to have kids," then it's typically remarks about our vehicles.

As a DINK member household, we do what we want, when we want (within some financial constraints).

That's the other piece of this I am oh-so-sensitively getting at.....they couldn't afford an X, or an S, and in most cases, even a 3. It's the USED/10-yr-old minivan crowd. My wife and I (DINKs) stick out like sore thumbs on our street. :rolleyes:
I understand! At one point, not too long ago, everyone on my side of our street drove Lexus but not ME! I like having something different and I was so happy I did not have a Lexus. That is ONE car I wouldn't have, mostly because everyone has one! I had a Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas, a 1999, in black and only had 50k miles on it when I traded it in, in Feb. of 2016. It looked new except it was a lot prettier than the newer XJ8s which I thoroughly disliked. Mine was the bigger model that didn't change for many years and now they look like every other car. (I should've kept it a little longer because now I am trading in my 2016 Avalon Limited Hybrid that only has 8k miles on it for my new Tesla Model S.) Now it seems like all of my neighbors have Infinities and Acuras, Merz, Bmws etc. NO ONE in my neighborhood has a Tesla (that I know of) and I am so happy to not be driving ANY of those.

I never really felt judged.

To the OP, I don't think it makes sense to claim that a 100D cost not much more than an X3. A well equipped X3 generally leases in the 500s and well equipped X5 in the 700s per month for 12k miles per year with little to no down payment. BMW also covers maintenance for the first 3 years and 36k miles (which is the entire term of the lease). Just a quick check shows that a moderately equipped Model S 100D without pano roof and without premium package (so just color, leather seats and AP) leases in the mid 1300's per month for 12k miles a year. That's 800 more than the X3... so definitely not in the same ballpark.

Any energy cost differences are more than made-up due to maintenance cost and different taxes. Oh and the 1367/m also requires a 7k down payment... which if you split into the 36 months means basically mid 1500's month, which is double the X5 lease.

So basically you can lease 2 well equipped X5 Xdrive 35i's for one 100D. So yes it's an expensive car, not cheap.

To the OP, I don't think it makes sense to claim that a 100D cost not much more than an X3. A well equipped X3 generally leases in the 500s and well equipped X5 in the 700s per month for 12k miles per year with little to no down payment. BMW also covers maintenance for the first 3 years and 36k miles (which is the entire term of the lease). Just a quick check shows that a moderately equipped Model S 100D without pano roof and without premium package (so just color, leather seats and AP) leases in the mid 1300's per month for 12k miles a year. That's 800 more than the X3... so definitely not in the same ballpark.

Any energy cost differences are more than made-up due to maintenance cost and different taxes. Oh and the 1367/m also requires a 7k down payment... which if you split into the 36 months means basically mid 1500's month, which is double the X5 lease.

So basically you can lease 2 well equipped X5 Xdrive 35i's for one 100D. So yes it's an expensive car, not cheap.

The trick with my statement is I had financed my X3 so monthly payments were close to $800/mo and gas was around $150/mo. My insurance premium almost got halved with the S. Although it’s a 100D I got lucky with a “showroom discount” from my local store. I wasn’t planning on keeping the bimmer past the warranty expiration as that’s when things get pricey.

If you know where to look you can find 100D leases well below $1k/mo including taxes with the $2.5k order payment and $5k down.

“you only live once”

As long as you say the entire phrase and don't shorten it to YOLO. Looking to divert attention from your car? Throw a YOLO out there and get ready for a whole other level of judgment.

"YOLO is also often used to describe the currently trending lifestyle of millennials. Millennials are being called as the YOLO generation, the generation that does not sacrifice or delay present moment’s happiness."​

I don't even own a Tesla yet but when I tell people/family I have a Tesla model 3 on order, I frequently get the 'roll eyes.' :rolleyes: Then I say, "see that five year old Prius out there I drive? It had a sticker price of $41,000 five years ago! You can get a new, base model 3 with a sticker price of $35,000 not including a California rebate of $2,500 and a Federal tax credit of $7,500!" Then I have everyone's attention. "I thought those cars cost $100,000. How many miles per gallon of gas do you get? How far can you drive it? Those cars aren't going to be available for another 3 years. How do you know when the engine is running if you can't hear it? Can it go up a mountain grade? Those cars are only good for getting groceries. A friend told me those cars are slow! How often do you have to change the oil? I bet you can't beat the 10,000 mile oil change interval on my car. Electricity is expensive. Electric cars look like they are related to slugs!" I patiently answer all their questions and concerns and it becomes a teaching moment. Then it becomes, "Hey can I drive your car? Where can I get more information? What's that website again? Where's the nearest dealer? Do they take trade-ins? If what you say is true, I can save money every month!"

It's all good. They can learn about the advantages of EV's now or they can learn later. I help them learn now.

I can tell you with the mileage I drive in a year (45k miles) I could NOT afford an X3 (or any BMW for that matter). Yet comparing total operating costs, I was at par with buying a 4cyl TLX.

This 90D has way more value though, and that is an understatement now that I know what it is to own it. :D

i think many "judge" you if you have a tesla because its electric luxury car price and many in our neighborhood drive lexus/merc/audi ect and are docs and such. They are more suprised at the ev part i think then the cost because its likely more then their mercedes suv or lexus suv. I see more leafs on the road and they are looked at as liberalsih prius owners. Not a bad thing if you are a liberal i guess but my point is that the leaf like the prius are more accepted because of the price and not looked at for being an ev: as iff the smaller pricepoint makes its more acceptable??

I feel your pain. We live in a community where there's multiple kids in most families, along with there being only one source of income. Normally the first thing that comes up is "when are we going to have kids," then it's typically remarks about our vehicles.

As a DINK member household, we do what we want, when we want (within some financial constraints).

We've taken to calling ourselves "DITDs". Dual Income Two Dogs. LOL

(although, the comment was recently made...."the S is one of the safest cars ever, and its big enough for a car seat.)

o_O