Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling judged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's a Bay Area effect. I live up the road from you in San Ramon and feel the same way. While we have about 5 Teslas on our block (including a Model 3), many still drive their "beaters" to work (including me - I still commute in my i3). I definitely feel an unspoken stigma about driving nicer cars to the workplace...can't quite explain it. My sister and brother-in-law in the North Bay have an MS and MX and were so worried about the workplace chatter the first time driving either to work, and they're both doctors.

That said, give it a few weeks/months, and you'll get over it and just enjoy the ride.

We were laughing the other day driving through San Ramon. It felt like every 4th car was a Tesla.

Reactions: bmah and vthomas
I can answer this.

Because Tesla's aren't luxury vehicles. I know they're called that, but they're not. The leather is cheap, the interior is a bit chincy, build quality is mediocre. Don't get me wrong, I love my Model X -- but it's not a luxury vehicle. It just has a luxury vehicle price tag.

The interior of my Audi S6 (2014) has a much, much better interior. Better build quality, better leather. When people get in my AUdi they point ouf the nice leather, the quilted stitching, the nice feel of the switches. When people get in my Tesla they focus on the screen, the tech.

They're not on the same level of luxury as the cars they're compared against, but that's okay.

I don’t understand the desire to acquire luxury vehicles. That was what I was getting at. I am not saying the level of luxury is equivalent between a Tesla and those cars. I’m saying that I would only pay this much for a car that is fundamentally different from other vehicles in a way I personally find meaningful. Tesla’s are luxurious enough for me.

2011 i was driving my tesla roadster and pulled into a convenience store parking lot. a guy with a long beard, no shirt no shoes, and tattered jeans quickly made his way over to me with his fist in the air. he said "the people have spoken!" this was in austin, tx and he was clear that the people should decide what car they want to buy and let it be something that helps clean the water and the air. it's not about prestige, arrogance, $$$....the tesla brand stands for something to me. IMO, there are those that have sabotaged it to be about success and $$. it's not.

In my head he sounds like the guy near the end of Back to the Future who says “Crazy drunk driver”.

• Funny
Reactions: BinaryField
My Wife Said: "Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas for the next 10 years... done."

My Kid Said: "Can I play with the drawing app?"

My Boss (P85D) said: "Oh no, you have the new hardware, I need that" - until he read AP2 reviews on the forum. He still has the P85D.

My Friend said: "yeah, that's nice... so, let's go Go Karting!"

My Neighbor said: "So, does this mean you are going to become one of those 'Tesla Guys', you know, that cut everyone off and think they own the road"

My Parents and Siblings said: "How is that Ford Fusion doing", to which I say "Just Fine". they live in another state... they never need to know.

Then I looked all around, looked at my Reus fitted ceramic coated glistening hunk of midnight metallic joy... and just smirked.

S'aul good man!

I see the profile photo of you beside your Model S. That is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL car and the color is gorgeous! Without a doubt, others judge us on what we have over who we are. We've all experienced it at one time or another, even if it's not related to owning a Tesla. If others perceive you have too much, then you're rich, snooty and better than everyone else. If you drive a junker, then you're considered lazy and a total loser. You will not win if you put all of your stock into what others think. As you drive your awesome new Tesla Model S, savor every moment of it. Remember what it took to get it and all that must be done to keep it. As hard as it may be, try to leave the opinions and negative attitudes of those who are jealous in the dust. There are many more people who won't say, but their hidden aspirations are actually where you are today. The 100D is awesome! CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishments!
Thoughtful.

Reactions: Lhshockey24
Are you sure your friends aren't British or from their colonies?

Tall Poppy Syndrome

The tall poppy syndrome describes aspects of a culture where people of high status are resented, attacked, cut down and/or criticised simply because they have been classified as superior to their peers. This is similar to begrudgery, the resentment or envy of the success of a peer. The term has been widely used in many cultures of the egalitarian English-speaking world.

Tall poppy syndrome - Wikipedia

Reactions: PrGrPa
The Tesla is perceived to be an expensive luxury car. As folks have said here it doesn’t have to be as lease/PCP payments and rates make it comparable with some more regular-seeming cars. When I was comparing features and costs it was £100-£250 more per month than the ICE cars I was considering before I test drove an electric. It was a lot less than some of the ‘luxury’ ICE cars that I would have considered.

Add in the cost of fuel at at least 1/3 the cost of petrol/diesel for the same distance traveled and it appeals a little more, especially if you’re a high-miler.

Perhaps the biggest factors in the ‘you have one of those Teslas? They’re really expensive. ‘ are the relative rarity, the review references to the P100Ds, and the still very noticeable external design.

OP, just chill out. You chose what for many people is an unusual car. They’ll get accustomed to the future starting to arrive. It’ll be easier when we start to see all those amazing electric cars Ford, GM, VWG, and MB tell us are coming soon.

Reactions: arcus
So this was exactly my concern when I got my 70D in 2015. Regardless of how I justify it ("this is the absolute base model", gas savings, etc.) it is still perceived as an exotic car. And I am certainly not wealthy. I have two kids in private school so this purchase was a stretch.

Fast forward a few years. Now going through a divorce. Money super tight. Considered selling the car but I am currently under water. So, instead, I refinanced. Now my payment - gas savings is significantly less than the payment I would have for a mid-sized sedan. Yes, I will be paying for a few more years, but cash flow is good. Keeping the car actually makes sense now.

Of course the next challenge is asking for more financial aid while driving this car....

Not that I'm feeling schadenfreude, but I'm happy to see others have this same feeling as I do. My previous two cars were 19k (new) and 23.2k (new) in 2006 and 2013 (that was a whoops/shoulda waited).

I'm not wealthy (yet?) in my own eyes but I support the tesla mission, and you can't drive the stock :D

We now put all our miles on the S (just rolled over to 25k, took delivery august '16) and use the gas guzzling subaru forester as little as possible. I even have my wife drive the S most days as she's got the longer commute. I usually just take it once a week (my "friday fun") now simply because it makes more economic/environmental sense that way.

I honestly haven't gotten too many comments, but when they come up I take the same tact of stressing it's the "poor man's tesla" and some can go for 150k. Plus with all the money we don't spend in gas and maintenance it's not much crazier than the stupid bmw's that are a dime a dozen around here!

Enjoy your car, you don't have to justify it to anyone but yourself!

Reactions: PrGrPa
I went through this with my previous car (see sig), and am now going through it with the Tesla I'm picking up tomorrow. Even though I bought the Audi with only 18 miles on it, the Tesla with 24K on it is going to cost more.

There are eye rolls and whispers from within my family, but, my wife and I work hard and we make good decisions with money. We've been known to get tipsy and open CDs instead of blowing through Amazon Prime. :D

There are eye rolls and whispers from within my family, but, my wife and I work hard and we make good decisions with money. We've been known to get tipsy and open CDs instead of blowing through Amazon Prime. :D

Haha, love it. I'm such a nerd, I get tipsy and go look at the budget and see how I can minimize recurring bills. While enjoying drinks with family over the past weekend my wife randomly told me she wanted us to buy more TSLA, hah!

Reactions: FlyingCookie
Haha, love it. I'm such a nerd, I get tipsy and go look at the budget and see how I can minimize recurring bills. While enjoying drinks with family over the past weekend my wife randomly told me she wanted us to buy more TSLA, hah!

The wife receives a generous stock package on her work anniversary with her company. If the EV credit had survived (I know, it still might, but I'm being realistic), we sat and tried to calculate how many shares she could cash out so that the EV credit would cancel out her Capital Gains burden, then we could have used that money to receive further credit on a solar/powerwall installation.

That may be on hold for now, though. lol

If your friends and acquaintances are car guys /girls, let them drive the car. They'll get it. If they don't, "I pity the fools!"
As for the ones who aren't car people, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do".

In fact, I have made a number of new friends who are also Tesla enthusiast, and are, of course, "right thinking people". Grinnin' on . . .

Reactions: Xenius
I didn't read the whole thread, but that was one of my concerns when I was getting the car. I could afford it, I couldn't justify it. Had a few comments from people "but you have a Tesla". I usually respond with "It's about priorities."

Yes, I managed my money to get a Tesla. It didn't fall out of the sky and land on my lap. And I pay more for my child's preschool per month than I do for the Tesla, yet they don't seem to comment on that, because they don't see that.

I tried to keep it a secret at work. At my last job, no one knew, I parked far away and it was great. At this place, everyone found out pretty fast.

Last edited:
You can't really tell the difference between a 60K Model S, and a 140K Model S from the looks alone.

You have no idea whether a particular Model S was a sound money choice or complete insanity.
I can attest to this. Most of the people I meet that are curious about Tesla have a presumption that the car's starting price is at 150k (even those that follow developments around Tesla). Also, I don't know if it is just the looks of the Model S or the fact that it is still fairly rare sighting it makes it look exclusive (pricey). At least that seems to be the case here, where I live.

I could afford it, I couldn't justify it. Had a few comments from people "but you have a Tesla". I usually respond with "It's about priorities."
Exactly! I could care less about bigger house, permanent vacation spot or expensive club membership. One of our directors commented "we need to review how much we pay you guys" to which I respond "it is not how much you pay me, but what I do with that money".