Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling less and less comfortable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive an S. When I went for the standard 15 minute X test drive, I did give my license and I was told my insurance will take care of any issues. So I don't see this as a big deal.

Also remember the 60 kWh is just about 200 mile range on a good warm weather day. For MN winters you will get about 150 miles. That is way less for your driving style of 8 hour at a stretch. You will be disappointed anything less than 90 kWh which gives around 270 miles on a warm day and around 200 on the cold winter nights.

Autopilot: observe the behavior for a week or two, use it only on high ways, use common sense. You will love it.

It seems that once you take that off-ramp towards buying a car, it's hard to go another direction. I had no intention of buying a car 2 months ago. I was going to try to get another 100,000 miles out of my 9 1/2 year old Prius. That's frugal!

But then I realized I needed tires, and found that my son was on the Model 3 list, and I dropped in to a Tesla showroom in a mall and learned that I could afford thing. Then I did a test drive, and BANG the car was on order. Production started today.

I have been literally soaking up Tesla information for a month. I've read the owner's manual twice. I've read thousands of forum posts, and watched maybe 50 Tesla YouTube videos. I'd read that post about the sand-pitted CPO.

I've come to these observations:
  • Tesla owners generally love their cars and say they'll never buy a gas car again
  • Tesla service is outstanding
  • The supercharger network lets you get to a lot of places, even with an S60 like I ordered
  • There aren't many problems with the cars
  • Tesla is as much a movement as a brand
Having second (third, fourth) thoughts about a major purchase is normal. I have them too. What I suggest is that you make a list of why you would want to pay a lot of money for a car. Then ask yourself what you would do with that money if you didn't buy the car. Compare the two options.

Last edited:
Dear Karen,

I purchased my P85+ in July, 2013 and took delivery in early August. It's my mid-life crisis car. I checked every box; got every option; spent about 4X what I had previously ever spent on a car. My previous cars were things like a 10-year old used Saab 99, a Nissan Sentra that I bought new for $14K back in 1986 and drove for 14 years, an Audi A4 that I bought new in 2000 and drove for 10 years, four Priuses at various times (new and used), a VW Golf (used). So, yeah, the Tesla stands out a little from that crowd. :)

I've driven the car for three years and three Boston winters.

It's an awesome car.

I have been blown away by the company, too, particularly sales and service. The sales guys tried to talk me DOWN into an S85, or at most a P85, rather than the P85+. Said I wouldn't need the extra handling option (the "+"), said most people were perfectly happy with the regular performance ("S"), didn't go to the track, didn't need the "P". I had to politely remind them that it was MY midlife crisis and I was gonna get everything. Three years down the line, they were absolutely correct: I didn't HAVE to have the P or the "+", and I could have saved a ton of money by not buying those options. The "+" in particular also required 21" wheels and summer tires, which added another $4500. On the other hand, I've enjoyed the use of all these things and have no regrets.

The service guys routinely go beyond anything I've seen before to take care of the car and my family.

I plan to upgrade my car this fall to the latest P<whatever>. Not because I don't love my current car, but because I apparently have become slightly insane with techno-lust and want the very latest that Tesla has to offer. I simply can't imagine having this feeling for any other vehicle, which always seem to me to be pretty much the same from one year to the next.

I'm NOT saying that Tesla or its salespeople or its service crew or its products are PERFECT. But I am asking myself why I don't routinely get treated this way by other automobile manufacturers and their independent dealerships (including Audi, for which I've experienced sales and service, and BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche and others, for which I've experienced sales).

I'm saying all this so that you'll understand my experiences and be able to evaluate my biases.

May depend on the size of your dogs. Lots of people have done S+dogs and been very comfortable. We have Chihuahuas, but they fit in a shoebox. For very big dogs, people put down the back seat and lay out a blanket.

I can't remember whether I did this in 2013. Doesn't strike me as a biggie, though, given the cost of the car. And it has gotten a reputation as a very fast car, and Tesla has been very eager to encourage test drives in it even if the person isn't an active buyer (they have to get a large segment of the population thinking "electric"). From what I've heard from some of the sales people I know there, test drives can be *wild* experiences -- not because of the sales person driving but because of the customer! Many people are anxious to see how quickly the car accelerates, how fast it can go, what the handling is like if you push it, can you do anything crazy with Autopilot.

So this responsibility doc... I wonder if it's as much about cautioning the test driver not to get too crazy as it is about any financial issues.

This one bugs me. Your concerns should not be dismissed. Every question you, the customer, have is a good question. If you have the option of going to a different showroom, maybe you should do so. Or if you have the option of engaging with a different sales person, maybe that would be best. I also wonder whether you are treated that way because you are female; but really, no matter WHY your questions are being dismissed, you deserve better.

That said, I have certainly found after visiting multiple showrooms in Massachusetts, Maryland and other states, that there are a considerable variety of Tesla sales people. Some of them come from a computer background. Some of them are very young, maybe even still in college. Some of them are coming out of the traditional auto sales business. There has been more mixing over time; when I first started paying attention to Tesla in 2013, they all seemed to be 19-20 years old and completely new to the auto business. Today, I'm seeing a noticeable influx of traditional auto sales types who seem to have gone through some Tesla reconditioning process. (I can picture it now: "Step 1. Don't be an asshole. Step 2. Don't talk down to any customer, even the 'little women'. Step 3. Don't oversell.") But I think this reconditioning process works better with some sales people than others.

As to the substance of your concern: I infer that you are looking at an S60D and thinking about the software unlock option to turn it into an S75D. The battery pack is maybe the biggest single cost in the car's bill of materials and probably also the biggest concern from the engineering standpoint. That thing is one of the secrets to the car's phenomenal abilities. It's heated AND it's cooled. It's able to be charged through all the standard chargers in the world from a 110 socket all the way up to 80A alternating current third-party chargers. AND you can blast an 135 KILO watts of raw direct current into that thing (at a Tesla Supercharger, for free), giving you hundreds of miles of range in 20-30 minutes. The batteries sitting inside that pack are also expensive.

So Tesla has been playing around with how to make battery sizes available to the customer. They can't possibly afford to give everyone a 100 kWh battery pack (the P100D). But they do want to encourage people to buy some more range. So someone inside that company has figured out that they can afford to give people a 75 kWh battery, charge for it as if it were a 60 kWh battery, and *probably* enough people will do the software unlock that Tesla will net out to a positive on the deal. IMHO, it's a good way to go; it means you get to taste-test the product, and if you find you really want more range, it's easy to add.

The dollar figures being tossed around are, unfortunately, not out of line for this product and for large battery sizes. The world is still struggling to get below $200 per kWh for raw batteries, much less for a finished battery pack. Batteries are on a significant capacity and cost improvement curve, but it is what it is for now.

So: would 75 kWh be worth it for you? Depends on your driving pattern. The Superchargers are located on average 130 miles apart, precisely so that the S60 can use the SC network. I, myself, like having a bigger buffer AND I also like to drive places that are not exactly on the SC network. I travel back and forth between Boston and Washington, DC, and go up into New Hampshire and Maine and Vermont, and west to western New York, and into West Virginia, and so on. So, for me, the extra range of an 85 has been very useful. It's one reason I'm looking forward to upgrading to 100.

If I were configuring a Tesla as a very practical car, as opposed to a mid-life crisis car, I'd immediately toss out the P option and any other high-end stuff. I'd focus primarily on two variables: (1) what kind of driving pattern do I have versus what kind of battery pack size / range do I want to pay for and (2) do I need all-wheel drive or can I get by with rear-wheel drive.

As others have already pointed out, the strut thing was an artificially-manufactured crisis. As far as I can tell from all the Tesla people I know and talk to -- not just corporate folks but owners -- there's no crisis here.

Normal wear-and-tear items, like tires, will not be covered. Other than that, well, Tesla has been pretty astonishingly comprehensive in its coverage. I wound up needing a new battery pack. List price: $40K. Alan's price: $0. In 3 years, I've only ever paid them for the nose cone that I bashed in my own stupid self.

I think the disclosure issue was a manufactured one; I do NOT think it was maliciously hidden with respect to the investing community, the owner community, or anyone else.

That said, I share your concern about autopilot. I picture falling asleep at the wheel. :-( :-( I will STILL get autopilot when I upgrade later this fall. But I will use it strictly as a driving aid, something to back me up. If I discover that I become too complacent when I use it, I'll turn it off. Because this is a feature that is continuing to get software upgrades, I think it's reasonable to buy it now, try it, and even if I don't like it, keep trying it when new software comes out.

HOWEVER, I think it's possible that you can buy the car WITHOUT autopilot and then turn it on later (like with the extra battery). I think it costs a little bit more... but I think you also get a 30-day trial period before finally having to pay for it. So maybe you would be most comfortable going down that path, and trying-before-buying the feature.

I'm sorry that you haven't had the same set of wonderful sales experiences I've had with this company. If too many alarm bells go off for you, then I think you should head for the hills. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable with a BMW i3 or the new Chevy Volt. I can safely tell you that many other people have had great experiences, and that I'm one of them. But I think the last thing you want to do is talk yourself into something you're not going to enjoy.

Best regards,
Alan

P.S. No, I'd never take this amount of time to talk to another potential owner for say Audi or Nissan. The Tesla car and company are exceptional and special and the impact of electrifying the transport system carries major implications for alleviating carbon emissions. These factors make it worth my time (at least in my own mind) to engage others on this topic.

Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for all your thoughts. You know how to go for the gold, man! Wow, good for you knowing what you want so clearly. I am laughing re-reading your comments this morning (techno-lust!) And good explanation for marketing thought- process. I like logical!

My biggest problem is I rarely drive much anymore! Mostly to dog park and back and then whatever little errands I have. I want this to be MY car. Right now we have a 2006? Sequoia which we bought for longer trips and trips to cabin with 2 kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats. The other car is a 2007? Camry hybrid (220k mi). Generally we use the Camry hybrid as the primary for everything, and just use the Sequoia for when somebody else needs a car. Nobody else in my family has "car respect." I used to keep mine pristine, but I'm a little afraid I've given up too, (I hope I can remember the pride of perfection!) I'm already getting pressure from my family to share whatever new car I have (which makes sense, given how little I drive, but - want to keep it really nice and worry about the little dings - they don't). This is going to require some deep thought.

If I get the car, for sure I'll get autopilot. I'll try to use it just heavy traffic.

I really appreciate all your good thoughts and enthusiasm Alan. Hope you love your new car!

I drive an S. When I went for the standard 15 minute X test drive, I did give my license and I was told my insurance will take care of any issues. So I don't see this as a big deal.

Also remember the 60 kWh is just about 200 mile range on a good warm weather day. For MN winters you will get about 150 miles. That is way less for your driving style of 8 hour at a stretch. You will be disappointed anything less than 90 kWh which gives around 270 miles on a warm day and around 200 on the cold winter nights.

Autopilot: observe the behavior for a week or two, use it only on high ways, use common sense. You will love it.

More to think about. 150 is way different than 200. Yes, autopilot is a big draw, just have to remember it is really not autopilot.

It seems that once you take that off-ramp towards buying a car, it's hard to go another direction. I had no intention of buying a car 2 months ago. I was going to try to get another 100,000 miles out of my 9 1/2 year old Prius. That's frugal!

But then I realized I needed tires, and found that my son was on the Model 3 list, and I dropped in to a Tesla showroom in a mall and learned that I could afford thing. Then I did a test drive, and BANG the car was on order. Production started today.

I have been literally soaking up Tesla information for a month. I've read the owner's manual twice. I've read thousands of forum posts, and watched maybe 50 Tesla YouTube videos. I'd read that post about the sand-pitted CPO.

I've come to these observations:
  • Tesla owners generally love their cars and say they'll never buy a gas car again
  • Tesla service is outstanding
  • The supercharger network lets you get to a lot of places, even with an S60 like I ordered
  • There aren't many problems with the cars
  • Tesla is as much a movement as a brand
Having second (third, fourth) thoughts about a major purchase is normal. I have them too. What I suggest is that you make a list of why you would want to pay a lot of money for a car. Then ask yourself what you would do with that money if you didn't buy the car. Compare the two options.

Well, we have the money just sitting around doing not much of anything right now. So that is really not a problem. If this were a non-profit, I would have NO problem. But it isn't. And maybe there isn't that much of a difference, but I have to see how that sits with me.

I can see how you'd get caught up in this, very easily! Even just discussing this here makes me want to go re-test drive!

One question I had - how did the fatal crash occur? I understand that the sensing devices didn't discriminate between sky and white trailer side. However, the tech guy told me that the body was built so that it could never be intruded more than 4 inches (I don't see how they can guarantee that with a large enough opposing force). In your reading, did you learn more about that?

Reactions: jbcarioca
One question I had - how did the fatal crash occur? I understand that the sensing devices didn't discriminate between sky and white trailer side. However, the tech guy told me that the body was built so that it could never be intruded more than 4 inches (I don't see how they can guarantee that with a large enough opposing force). In your reading, did you learn more about that?

In the fatal crash a tractor trailer made a left turn crossing oncoming traffic. The Tesla drove underneath the trailer losing its roof and continued a considerable distance, going through two fences and eventually stopping when it hit a telephone pole. Reports are that a portable DVD player was found in the car and it was playing a Harry Potter movie.

Three failures contributed to this fatality: 1) The truck turned in front of the car (the proximate cause), 2) The driver was driving in an unsafe manner--speeding (maybe 85 mph) and not watching the road and 3) The collision avoidance system failed to see the truck--probably because the RADAR and the camera did not both see the truck due to low contrast between the truck and the sky.

I have never heard that 4" intrusion number, but in general a Tesla, and any low-slung car is not going to protect you when it hits something high up at high speed. There is another fatal crash story when a high-bumpered SUV plowed into the back of a Model S, killing a child in the back seat.

That said, tens of thousands die in auto crashes, and the Tesla is the safest car on the road; it's just not able to protect everyone in extreme situations.

Hello all-

I was thinking very seriously about ordering either an S or X (prefer S driving, but with dogs may be best to go X). However, a number of things are making me re-think.

1. I had to sign a responsibility doc just to test the car. I have never done this before. They told me it was implicit with everyone else when I turned over my driver's license for a test drive. But with more thought, this doesn't seem right.

2. When I expressed discomfort about the battery pack software upgrade cost of $9000, I was diminished. "Nothing to look at here" "Just like getting a different memory card on your phone" It was rather aggressively dismissed. I don't think it's totally out to lunch, but it is a little unusual seeming to me. More, it was the manner of the "technical expert" or whatever the sales guy was called.

3. It was impressed upon me that everything is under warranty for a long period of time - yet, I hear about these issues with struts not being under warranty.

4. I have concerns about absent-mindedly becoming reliant on autopilot. I raises my discomfort when I read about the fatal crash and how it was not disclosed to investors.

I guess what this is boiling down to is this is a LOT of money to spend on a car. I'm usually a Toyota kind-of girl. But I am interested in self-driving and environment. However, my trust in this company has only gone downhill with further inspection. I welcome your thoughts.

Karen, you're not the target market. You mentioned your dogs in the first line alone - meaning, you have other lifestyle concerns above being a Tesla fan or hobbyist or EV centric person. Why are you interested in self-driving? Tesla sells driver-assist. What do you intend to do while the car is driving? Work? Texting? Reading? Reducing your own personal responsibility while entertaining a very dangerous aspect of life (which is automobile travel)?

Everything is under a 4-year, 50k warranty. Not too different from everything else except Kia/Hyunday (Korean-made) at 100,000 mi.

Does the responsibility document actually require your personal insurance company to cover the car in case of a test-drive crash?

Have you considered using the money for a community good? What do your annual giving routines include - community church, program, national/international charities? Have you been through Financial Peace University?

Reactions: Pdub2015
How did the crash occur?

The car was driven in AP mode at excessive speed for the conditions (77 on a 60 mph) on a road that is not suitable for AP - a road that has perpendicular cross traffic. That was the root cause. The sensors and the system are not designed to work in those conditions. In other words the system did not have glitch or a failure. It is simply not made to work in those roads effectively.

It is designed to be used primarily on controlled access highways - the ones that have on ramp and off ramp - and only if it has normal painted lanes. Not on construction areas with bots or barrels or cones instead of painted lanes.

Now it will work on back roads too with well marked lanes and I have used it nicely, but only for short durations and with extra caution.

If you understand those basic parameters and use common sense you will love it. For instance if you drive in the right lane and you are behind another car and if that car takes the exit, your car will try to follow that car too. So I try and always go to the middle or left lane.

Observe and understand how it works. Use it on limited access highways. And use common sense.

You will then realize that this is best driver aid ever implemented by anyone over the last 100 years of automotive history.

Gone are the days luxury means better leather, wood, knobs and buttons, and perfect paint job. There is a new luxury in town - it is called relieving your stress considerably by the car driving itself. Tesla is the only one that does that with ease as of today.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Well, we have the money just sitting around doing not much of anything right now. So that is really not a problem. If this were a non-profit, I would have NO problem. But it isn't. And maybe there isn't that much of a difference, but I have to see how that sits with me.

Non-profits are more profitable than Tesla right now...

I can see how you'd get caught up in this, very easily! Even just discussing this here makes me want to go re-test drive!

Dear Karen,

Your situation is not quite like mine, but it is quite similar to that of several (I am thinking of four specific ones) people I know. All of them are not "car people". All of them have never spent anything close to the price of a Tesla before. All of them are passionate about their cars now but were beset with anxiety prior to actually taking delivery of their cars.

Here are the issues I recall from those people and the reactions after they took delivery:

1. What am I doing?!? Is this a ridiculous purchase? Answers: Yes, probably it is ridiculous but I love it! Every single one expressed similar sentiments, even the one that to my absolute knowledge really did not have enough money to do it, but skimped on lots of other things to do it. She says she'd do it again, but shakes her head about her 'irrational' decision.

2. Range anxiety. That one seems to require a few months to recede, especially from S60 buyers, but recede it does, and it is much less of an issue now than it was a year ago, will be less a year from now as Superchargers and other charging options proliferate.

3. Autopilot. This drives people nuts! Of my four friends two have autopilot, two do not. From all the discussions I think autopilot is worthwhile for people who are comfortable with new technology, comfortable enough that they'll never assume it will work, comfortable enough to enjoy it when it does but also excercise get eternal vigilance. If that describes you, by all means take the option. If it does not don't take it! Even in my household I love autopilot my spouse refuses to use it at all. Both opinions are legitimate, I think, and it is nuts to pay for it if you will not use it. Anyway, it can be activated after purchase if you decide you want it later.

All other issues seem to pale after these with a single exception:

4. Why on earth would I spend more than twice the price of any other car I have ever owned? This one is really the most difficult one, in my opinion. In the final analysis tis is an emotional decision, not a rational one. I don't think anybody can offer a useful perspective on that, other than that the other people who have done it seem very happy that they did it.

I have not said a word about Tesla customer service, the joys of leaving ICE behind, no more gasoline stations, etc. All those are borderline rational at the very least.

Finally, don't rely on anything I say. I'm deliriously happy with my Tesla and I'll replace it only for a better Tesla, nothing else!

Karen, you've probably added plenty of things to think about before making a decision, but let me add a couple more...

Concerning the 60 vs. 75 battery decision, consider that for your everyday driving, 60 kWh is way more than you need. For your infrequent road trips, with a 60 you'll have to be more careful about planning until there are literally Superchargers on every corner (that won't happen for another decade or so, best case). But with a 75 you'll have options: the option to skip a Supercharger when conditions are favorable, instead of stopping at every one; the option to drive as fast as you want between Superchargers in all but the worst weather conditions. But here's the beauty of the thing: you can buy the 60 and live with it for awhile, take it on some road trips, learn where your comfort zone lies, and then if you need to, unlock the 75. Score!

About dogs and storage space, I own both an S and a Sig X. We have a yellow Lab and sometimes bring her along on road trips. The S is remarkable in terms of its storage space and the flexibility of that space. If you're traveling with one other person and a couple of dogs, the S works very well; you can fold down one or both halves of the rear seat if the dogs need to be close to their humans (the frunk makes that possible), or leave them up and give the dogs the rear cargo area, with its built-in barrier against having the dogs fly forward in an accident. There are aftermarket cargo liners that work well to keep the car tidy. The X, while it's taller in the cargo area, also has a higher floor (and a higher sill for the dogs to jump over when getting in the car). The cargo area behind the third-row seats is MUCH smaller than the cargo area of the S, and unlike the S, when folded the third row seats don't reach all the way forward to the backs of the second row seats, so there's a gap where dogs and cargo can fall to the floor. The problem is worse when you get the six-seat option, because there's a gap between the two second-row seats large enough for even a large dog to walk through. Rear ventilation is better in the X, with its extra vents and second A/C unit (if you get the second A/C option).

So, all in all, the X has no clear advantage over the S for traveling with dogs, though you can more easily travel with four people and dogs plus luggage in the X.

To D or not to D? That is the question... Well, you live in Minnesota where there winters are long and can be brutal. I've had good winter tires on my S P85D now for two winters and I can honestly say I've never seen a more capable snow car. The X P90D hasn't seen winter yet, but I plan to stay with my current setup, Nokian WRG3 severe-service all-season tires on 20" wheels, and leave it at that (anyone want to buy a brand new set of Pirelli winter tires for the X? I've got 'em). My first S was the Sig S 85, rear-wheel drive; my experience driving through its first winter here in Colorado---on the Goodyear all seasons that came with the car---just served to underscore why winter tires are essential for snow driving in a car that powers only two wheels. The second winter, on Hakka R2 winter tires, was much better.

If you do pull the trigger, be happy in your decision and live with the second guessing until delivery, after which you'll just be happy: driving a Tesla daily is one of life's joys.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and DIL
Hi K,

At the risk of being flamed by pro Tesla people, I would say to be open to other EV or even plug in car offerings.

I completely understand about the reliability and service concerns. My former cars were (2) Toyota trucks and an Accord, which I loved. My friend driving a Leaf told me about EVs, did a few test drives, was sold on the lack of maintenance costs and simplicity of the EV products. The lease specials and state rebates helped too. But range being a concern, decided to tip toe in and try a plug in 1st gen Volt on a lease.

- I will not likely ever move back to an ICE car again. EV / EV mode is just so quiet, smooth and torque-y (fast acceleration). And w/ regen braking, it's a fun game of trying to be super efficient when driving.
- Tesla isn't the only game in town. It's likely the best EV out there in terms of range, perf, safety but yes, until model 3 comes out, it is a higher tier car category. I'd urge you to test drive a Nissan Leaf, a Chevy Volt, BMW i3, Tesla and VW eGolf. Feel comfortable about what's out there before making a decision.
- Account for all of the expenses of internal combustion engine (ICE) car. I put it on a spreadsheet and realized maintenance costs are significant (oil change, smog tests, 30, 60, 90K maintenance), as well as gas costs. PPl don't think about those b/c they come regularly and are spread out over time but a 3, 5, 10 yr analysis of total costs shows true cost.
- Toyota/Lexus/Honda do have their share of problems too. Google search toyota/lexus engine sludge problems (from 1997 to about 2005 I guess). Massive problem.

Good luck on your quest!

My car, Model X 75D, completed production early last week, it is on its way here to NJ and I am truly suffering from buyer's remorse. I had to rationalize the heck out of this purchase. It is a huge gadget and will eventually become worthless; it's only a car for heaven’s sake. Maybe I should have invested the funds into more real estate or my retirement. This is insane, I am planning to retire this December, I can afford it, I have been frugal, I have worked hard all of my life.

I am a 63 year old single woman and I am tired of being invisible, so I ordered a multi-coat red one with a white interior. What was I thinking? Now I am worried that this gadget will attract too much attention. Should I wrap or not? Oh my god, I could go on and on.

Then yesterday my son finally figured out how much I will be spending on this toy and hit the roof. I think I might name her "Senior Moment," and I will be going with a half wrap. If you do pull the trigger, check out the cost of wrapping, even more insanity.

Your choice, if you can afford it, I understand your pain and even if you go ahead and order you may continue to struggle like me. I am going to go through with this, I deserve it, I am grateful for all of my success and do not take it for granted for a minute, treating myself does not come easily for me.

I know I am not going to spend all my money before I die, my sons will get plenty, just $100,000 less! I am worth this. Now, I am re-thinking her name. See, if you enjoy allowing your mind rattle away go ahead and order. Trust me, it is not going to stop after you order. I sure hope that once she arrives I can relax and just enjoy my ride. It’s been an amazing journey so far.

It's only a car. If it isn't what you expect it to be you can sell it with a small loss, that's how I see it. Happy travel!

Hi Alan,
My biggest problem is I rarely drive much anymore! Mostly to dog park and back and then whatever little errands I have. I want this to be MY car. Right now we have a 2006? Sequoia which we bought for longer trips and trips to cabin with 2 kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats. The other car is a 2007? Camry hybrid (220k mi). Generally we use the Camry hybrid as the primary for everything, and just use the Sequoia for when somebody else needs a car. Nobody else in my family has "car respect." I used to keep mine pristine, but I'm a little afraid I've given up too, (I hope I can remember the pride of perfection!) I'm already getting pressure from my family to share whatever new car I have (which makes sense, given how little I drive, but - want to keep it really nice and worry about the little dings - they don't). This is going to require some deep thought.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. The dream of "one's own" car. I have dreamed that dream. I have dreamed it at night. I have dreamed it during the day. I have dreamed of a passenger ejection seat while watching my youngest(**) shed army men, string, rubber bands and my favorite tools (obviously acquired without my permission) all over the front seats. I have lovingly fantasized of my wife sticking all her various tubes of gunk and ointment back into her purse rather than colonizing precious space in the center console that could be left wide open and empty for that oh-so-tidy look. I have lived the nightmare of my wife's casual attitude towards curbs and things-that-go-scrape-in-the-night.(*)

Sisyphus had his stone.

Hercules had his stables.

And honestly, Karen, if there's anyone more taken advantage of than a father, it would be a mother. :-(

Here's what I encourage of you and what has worked (at least partially) for me: FIGHT! Rage, rage against the family blight! Make it clear long BEFORE Day One that the key fobs live with you; that the car is UNIMAGINABLY expensive (this one works particularly well with my wife); that the seat coverings are assembled one fiber at a time by specially-trained rhesus monkeys; that the car of the floor is not, in fact, a traveling rubbish bin but an ermine-lined bastion of lower-limb comfort. Blemishes, no matter how small, to the seating and cabin surfaces will be cured at your discretion but at THEIR cost. Body damage repair -- even the slightest dimple by a falling acorn (you'll have to drive some distance to find one, no doubt) -- will automatically be deducted from THEIR college, religious holiday or retirement fund.

Let me give you an example of the kind of attitude you need to foster.

One day, on a road trip from Boston to DC, a couple of years ago, I had temporarily suspended the usual no-food-no-drink rule. (I was already picturing the satisfying post-holiday visit to my local auto detailer who would personally remove by hand each and every evil crumb that would inevitably befoul my Precious.) As we left Starbucks and merged back into traffic, my then-16 year-old daughter cried out, "Papa! Don't worry about me! I just spilled hot coffee everywhere BUT I THREW MYSELF BETWEEN THE COFFEE AND THE SEAT!"(***)

Could ever a father be prouder of his child who willingly incurred not-quite-life-threatening burns in the service of a higher cause?

Alan

P.S. You know they make those little portable hand vacuums that can reach every crevice... Sadly, I don't have one... but after watching the advertisements, I'm pretty sure that a child as young as 4 can learn to operate one correctly when the other choice is an early, dinner-less bedtime.

(*)Some inexplicable honesty compels me to point out that the vast majority of all rim, wheel and tire "events" on my Tesla have been incurred by someone other than my wife. Whoever it really was, I'm confident he's a prince of a guy.

(**)Your car will be much cleaner in the long-run if, instead of an 11-year old boy as a passenger, you substitute a greased piglet.

(***)Dammit, she had the *words* right but the tone didn't even come close to the reverent pitch a mid-teen girl always uses with her father!

My car, Model X 75D, completed production early last week, it is on its way here to NJ and I am truly suffering from buyer's remorse. I had to rationalize the heck out of this purchase. It is a huge gadget and will eventually become worthless; it's only a car for heaven’s sake. Maybe I should have invested the funds into more real estate or my retirement. This is insane, I am planning to retire this December, I can afford it, I have been frugal, I have worked hard all of my life.

JoNo, I also had buyer's remorse before my S70 arrived. Pretty much in the same boat life-wise, but a bit older than you. Once the car arrived, I knew that I had made the right decision. Worked hard all my life and there will still be some money left for the three children to share. In order to rationalize my purchase, I have committed myself to 12 years of ownership (approximately four, three year Lexus-leases worth). Now, my friends are envious. In 12 years, they will be asking "Are you still driving that jalopy?" But in a dozen years, the technology will be much more incredible than it is today and I will (hopefully) be about ready to buy my 2028 Tesla. Hope you enjoy your X at least half as much as I am enjoying my S.

Reactions: JoNoSaisQuoi
One question I had - how did the fatal crash occur?

My guess is the driver was not paying attention combined with a lack of sensors/cameras, especially because there is none at eye level or higher and the trailer had a void where the car went under. I'm also guessing that AP2.0 (once released) may haves sufficient new hardware to avoid that type of accident, regardless of driver inattentiveness.

Yes, autopilot is a big draw, just have to remember it is really not autopilot.

That depends on your nature. Some people here find it more, not less, stressful so it's not as a big a draw to them, at least until it can be relied upon more with new hardware. It's good that you understand it's limitations, though, and as such it may work out great for you.