Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feels like a space ship?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this has probably been discussed here before on numerous threads, but with Model 3 production only weeks away one thing keeps niggling at me; what was Elon talking about when he said it'll "feel like a space ship"?

I know as well as everyone how much he is given to using odd phrases or words to describe things in a sudo cryptic fashion, but this is almost starting to feel like a forgotten campaign promise that got you the vote. Does anyone have any theories?

If I had to guess solely from what we've seen, it would be the feeling of openness from the low dash. For all the spy shots, we haven't seen one that's perfectly aligned with the most important angle of all--that of the driver. The way the wheel connects with the dash might give it a feeling of floating instead of being lodged under a display cluster like just about every other car out there. This could give it a very futuristic feel.

Or I'm completely off base and it's something we haven't seen yet. Who really knows with Elon?

Was a mystery statement originally, but now that I've seen that cleaned up uncluttered photo of the interior from a couple of days ago, I think he was in fact describing the feeling and look of the seemingly 270 degree half spherical open view from inside the cockpit AKA (Kirk's Bridge). That photo made me a believer again because I too was getting heartburn about the interior, no cluster, no HUD, and just thin cheap looking materials. Clean and simple is good if the net result oozes quality and elan (no semi-pun intended) which I now think the M3 has.

Yes this had been discussed in many threads over the past year. My interpretation is that Elon was thinking about the single center screen where all the controls are and that EAP (and in his opinion, V1 of FSDC next year) will take you where you want to go.

You don't "steer" a spaceship. You program it to go where you want.

Remember, Elon is always thinking beyond the present. In his mind, the future is already here. It often doesn't arrive as quickly as he envisions, but it does arrive...

If you ask me what is spaceship like, I would say this is what it look like..., Americans can't build great cars.

Attachments

• 19396931_1438369679557301_3688969328099954224_n.jpg
    19396931_1438369679557301_3688969328099954224_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 185
You are right, that dashboard, with its bank of identical push buttons, definitely reminds me of a spaceship control panel:
Those Soyuz do look comical now with that globe to one side. Recent iterations of those even are now more glass cockpit...at least if you call a central screen "glass".

Perhaps Elon meant the view inside the Dragon Crew Module - which has 3x displays, some comfy seats and not much more?
Crew Dragon at SpaceX's page. And Gizmodo's article on the evolution of spacecraft dashboards.

People always forget the context of the tweet was about steering controls, not the feel of the dash or interior. The steering controls and system feels like a spaceship. However seeing as they moved production up two years, we might not see the spaceship feeling steering controls at launch.

Yes, and just so we are all on the same page...here's the EXACT tweet....

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

He specifically says the "steering controls and system", implying that what we saw in reveal 1 was not accurate. However, has anything about the steering controls or system changed since March 31st, 2016? I don't see anything that has made it any more "spaceship" like. I wish someone would press him on this to find out what happened with that, unless the steering wheels we have been seeing on the RCs are mules.