Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feels like Blasphemy: Off Grid Charging

Are we crazy?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re going camping a lot this year towing a 19’ Travel Trailer. We’re not expecting to get much more than 200KM while towing and most of our stays will be at somewhat remote off-grid campgrounds. Charging infrastructure will be limited at best and at worst, non-existant. We have the adaptors to charge at serviced campsites but the only one we booked this year so far that had services just blew a transformer and will not have power for our stay (because...of course). So we decided as a backup we’d upgrade our little 2000w put-put to a 240v capable EU7000is Honda inverter generator. A bit pricey, and an absolute beast (both size and weight). We knew the 2000 couldn’t add a meaningful amount of charge especially how fast the X uses it towing, not to mention being limited to 4hr generator runtime a day. We felt this provided a bit of peace of mind despite it being a challenge to transport. We bought a 30A adaptor from twist lock(L14-30) to plug-in style(14-30) and then the 14-30 adapter from Tesla for the UMC2. Because it’s 240v we didn’t even have to do the neutral-ground bond since it just uses the two hots. It worked immediately in eco mode and spooled up as the car ramped to the full 24A giving us a 6kw charge. As the title says, it feels wrong but also at the same time seems like a logical solution so we aren’t having to buy an ICE tow vehicle (along with the extra insurance and parking). We’ll utilize charging infrastructure as available and have solar on the trailer so generator power is really only there if we need it. Are we crazy?

Well, considering our trip from the dealer to the campsite resulted in 27.7% efficiency, I’d say it’s a good backup plan.

Attachments

• 46599F82-BB81-4155-8CB1-FFB208F8A891.jpeg
    46599F82-BB81-4155-8CB1-FFB208F8A891.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 118
  • C7CF4850-3908-4675-BA75-730E19BD1470.png
    C7CF4850-3908-4675-BA75-730E19BD1470.png
    485.4 KB · Views: 113
Tesla says NOT to use a generator, but I suspect that's an oversimplification to cover liability. A typical household generator probably does not generate clean enough power, but obviously all electricity is generated, so it seems reasonable to believe that some generators must be capable of generating clean enough electricity. Nonetheless, because Tesla says not to use a generator, I would advise against telling Tesla that you've used a generator.

Recommend you don't run the generator while in the trunk. Besides the CO risk, the exhaust (and associated heat) can make a mess in the interior.
We had to take the wheels off to get it into the trunk so it stays there full time now, running or not. We leave a Falcon door and the trunk itself open while running and obviously not with anybody inside the car. We also let it cool down after running for a good 10-15 minutes before closing the car.

Not ideal but it is what it is.

I think you really need to resolve the problem of running the hot engine in the trunk. Otherwise, that's fine. Hopefully over time you'll find you don't need it any more.

It’s actually not that bad. Exhaust comes straight out the back along with the hot air from the fan. I make sure to leave the lift gate open until the heat has dissipated. Now the axle in the subfloor cover is another story.

It’s actually not that bad. Exhaust comes straight out the back along with the hot air from the fan. I make sure to leave the lift gate open until the heat has dissipated. Now the axle in the subfloor cover is another story.
You had me until you said it’s running in the trunk. You really really really need to come up with a way to keep it out of the trunk while it’s on. Besides the exhaust going straight into your camper, the carcinogens and smell are getting stuck in the lining and fabric of your car (getting it out will be a heck of a task) and not to mention the fire risk, generators get hot. Using a generator to power your car is a great idea, running it in your trunk should be a non-starter For so many reasons. Find a way to mount the generator away from the car and camper.

You had me until you said it’s running in the trunk. You really really really need to come up with a way to keep it out of the trunk while it’s on. Besides the exhaust going straight into your camper, the carcinogens and smell are getting stuck in the lining and fabric of your car (getting it out will be a heck of a task) and not to mention the fire risk, generators get hot. Using a generator to power your car is a great idea, running it in your trunk should be a non-starter For so many reasons. Find a way to mount the generator away from the car and camper.
You likely haven’t seen an EU7000is in person. They are monstrous. Honestly though, the force the exhaust shoots out, nothing is in the car. Worst case I could get a silicone exhaust extender to pipe it away from the car. Remember, the point is not to have the generator running constantly. It’s only there so we don’t get stuck and can make it to the next DCFC/SuC and top up the camper batteries if needed.

Reactions: Fiver
Take the words of warning from the others. It is completely unsafe to run that generator inside your car. You may get away with it, but it will cost you in the end. While generators can be run in confined places. Those confined spaces are required to have zero flammable surfaces. As the heat generated over continued 4-hour uses will cause a fire.

I have worked in the RV industry for well over a decade, and know Generator safety very well. I would recommend figuring out a better solution or switching to a smaller generator. Yours should be about 250lbs. A good 3000/4000w generator is only 90-150lbs. Which could be easily lifted out of the car and run safely outside. What model trailer are you towing? I missed it if you have posted that information.

As a fellow Honda Genny owner (I have dual 3000's, not your monster 7000) you are fine. Just make sure the exhaust side is pointed out the back. They don't get that hot, even at full bore. Just leave the falcon wing door open and obviously the rear hatch. You probably are going to get some smells, that's just inevitable, but it's not a fire risk as you have it set up. I've seen multiple Hondas stuffed into very tight spaces on art cars, and as long as you have a clean exhaust vent area, and the air intake isn't covered you will have no issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: DvLang and Rocky_H
If you insist on running your generator inside your car. Please at least ensure you fully understand proper maintenance. If you neglect it or something fails, you will lose your car. I have seen too many generators fail due to simple maintenance issues. Or just the failure of components. Most of these generators with failed fuel pumps or carburetors which can, unfortunately, happen in under 1000 hours of use. Have either caught fire or melted and caused damage to there surroundings. While most of my customers run their's outside there RV's and at least 10 feet distance. This will be your main concern.

Plus as Fiver mentioned even if you have the doors open you will be at risk of exhaust contamination of your car's interior. Which will make your car smell bad.

Not trying to fear monger. But please educate yourself on generator maintenance and check your Genny after every use.

Reactions: Fiver
If you insist on running your generator inside your car. Please at least ensure you fully understand proper maintenance.

VERY VALID POINT that I should have mentioned as well. The EU series (2000, 3000, 7000) Honda generators are incredibly reliable but they are machines, and when not maintained properly bad things can happen.