Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feet are frozen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps this is the answer:
View attachment 751554

tape it to the vent opening under the dash and bend (direct) it onto your feet just to the left of the (clutch, or where the clutch should be.) ;)
And on a side note --- shouldn't the front louvers be closed during cold weather. Mine appear to be open all the time. Maybe I should cover them with a piece of cardboard, like I did for my old Fords. That might keep it a little warmer ? ! 🤔

Reactions: PatP
Did a test today in the garage (controlled ambient temp of 34F) - while plugged in, and at 75% SOC.

Placed a digital thermometer (which I know is fairly accurate from another project) right beside the cabin temp sensor under the screen. I did not sit in the car (to avoid any false readings from body heat), and waited ~10 minutes between settle times for each test.

Test 1: Car asleep - seems 'close enough'
Ambient 34F
Cabin Temp (in app) 40F
Actual Cabin Temp (as measured) 37F

Test 2: Set Auto Climate to 70F (keep setting)
Ambient 34F
Cabin Temp (in app, once stabilized) 70F
Actual Cabin Temp (as measured) 44.7F

Test 3: Set Auto Climate to 80F (keep setting)
Ambient 34F
Cabin Temp (in app, once stabilized) 80F
Actual Cabin Temp (as measured) 58F

I'm hoping that it's just the cabin temp sensor that is faulty, as the car *thinks* it is doing it's job correct and holding the temperature. My sense is that if the measured temp was correct, I would be fine.... it seems to be able to generate heat, just not being told to generate enough. Just put it on defrost, and it pounds out the heat!

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and JonB65
Did a test today in the garage (controlled ambient temp of 34F) - while plugged in, and at 75% SOC.

Placed a digital thermometer (which I know is fairly accurate from another project) right beside the cabin temp sensor under the screen. I did not sit in the car (to avoid any false readings from body heat), and waited ~10 minutes between settle times for each test.

Test 1: Car asleep - seems 'close enough'
Ambient 34F
Cabin Temp (in app) 40F
Actual Cabin Temp (as measured) 37F

Test 2: Set Auto Climate to 70F (keep setting)
Ambient 34F
Cabin Temp (in app, once stabilized) 70F
Actual Cabin Temp (as measured) 44.7F

Test 3: Set Auto Climate to 80F (keep setting)
Ambient 34F
Cabin Temp (in app, once stabilized) 80F
Actual Cabin Temp (as measured) 58F

I'm hoping that it's just the cabin temp sensor that is faulty, as the car *thinks* it is doing it's job correct and holding the temperature. My sense is that if the measured temp was correct, I would be fine.... it seems to be able to generate heat, just not being told to generate enough. Just put it on defrost, and it pounds out the heat!
You may want to take a photo of those results, and attach them to a service request.

Update:
After the SC visit today, they advised to set the climate to recirculate and all works as expected (but not in Auto). Apparently there is an issue with the HEPA filter and is limiting airflow, however might still be a software issue so sent all the notes to Tesla to hopefully be corrected in a future update.

The drive home with everything in recirc was fine... had to bump up the fan speed and force A/C on to defrost, but at least I was warm and could see!

I found the comment section more informative than the article itself.
Indeed.
Update:
After the SC visit today, they advised to set the climate to recirculate and all works as expected (but not in Auto). Apparently there is an issue with the HEPA filter and is limiting airflow, however might still be a software issue so sent all the notes to Tesla to hopefully be corrected in a future update.

The drive home with everything in recirc was fine... had to bump up the fan speed and force A/C on to defrost, but at least I was warm and could see!
sounds a bit like my heat issue (lost all cabin heat when it was -12C on a long road trip). Service responded they want the system in “auto” mode as much as possible and that firmware update(s) are coming to correct the issue.

Found my first gripe with the update: it doesn’t dhow in inches how close you are to things when backing up. Not sure if it did before but I thought it did. It’s like the back up sensors aren’t engaged.
I have the latest update and I see inches in both front and back when getting close. I believe it starts at 30 inches and goes down to 15 before it says to stop.

Based on what I've read it started to happen after last software update. It may or may not be a HEPA related issue. I've read that automatic climate control needs to be changed to manual, turn recirculation and AC ON then it works ok.
What Tesla doesn't acknowledge (or realize?) is that you can't use recirc for very long in cold temperatures, because the windows start to fog up. The solution is to select AC on, but that means the incoming air is being chilled to remove moisture, then heated again to warm the cabin. Not a big deal in an ICE vehicle because the heat is "free". However for an EV, adding the AC cycle will just deplete the battery even faster because the heater has to work even harder.

Reactions: PatP
What Tesla doesn't acknowledge (or realize?) is that you can't use recirc for very long in cold temperatures, because the windows start to fog up. The solution is to select AC on, but that means the incoming air is being chilled to remove moisture, then heated again to warm the cabin. Not a big deal in an ICE vehicle because the heat is "free". However for an EV, adding the AC cycle will just deplete the battery even faster because the heater has to work even harder.
It's not a solution but a temporary workaround until Tesla provides a fix. There are many reports when people get no heat at all in their Tesla's while driving with kids in freezing conditions. I would prefer to waste some energy than freeze to death (assuming this workaround even works).

It's not a solution but a temporary workaround until Tesla provides a fix. There are many reports when people get no heat at all in their Tesla's while driving with kids in freezing conditions. I would prefer to waste some energy than freeze to death (assuming this workaround even works).
Yeah, I was thinking the same after I posted! I've given up worrying about electricity costs to run this car, because it's still cheap even if they are doubled. Apart from staying warm enough, the only issue for me would be inconvenient range reduction if this happened on a road trip.

Just for clarity, I was referring to AC as the "solution" to get rid of window fog, not the basic problem. My heat pump shut down this morning at -22C, 10 minutes after leaving a semi-warm garage. I'm heading out again this afternoon, by which time it will have warmed up to -20C. I have further to go this time so I'll play around as necessary to keep the heat coming.

Reactions: buddhafree
It looks like the fix is coming...
1642022692829.png

2021.44.30.7 allows auto mode with recirc mode on, which is an improvement. But in regular auto mode (recirc off) still get no airflow.

Wonder if I should put in another service request (faulty damper?) or if it’s still a software thing…. Might take out the hepa to troubleshoot.

I experimented yesterday with the louvers/damper/shutters (what ever you want to call them) and they did not at any point close. Outside temp was about 40 degrees. I started scheduled precondition and watched for an hour before and a half hour after the car was ready. Louvers never did close but I could feel a lot of air flow being sucked into the front vent at the bottom of the bumper. I would think that at some point those shutters would have closed. In fact I have never seen them closed.