Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow car cleaning obsessives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite that area, but if you're on the west side of that area then I'd highly recommend Danny from Prestige Auto Detailing in Derby. He did the ceramic new car detail on my M3LR, and even worked on boxing day and 27th to fit in with my travel plans! The end result is fantastic and his pricing is very reasonable. He's also got a lot of experience with Tesla's which was also reassuring. Prestige Auto Detailing Derby
Just to let you know I have booked it in with him for next month. Earliest I could get.

Reactions: Blokie
if you can get the car to look like the pic in @RedUn's post above you've cracked the snow foam aspect of the process. TBH I'm not overly convinced the foam does a great deal, but it's good fun and looks great. Unless the car is properly dirty, which of course it is more so at the moment, I often find the snow foam and then a good rinse off is enough and I don't need to go tot he wash mitt and two bucket stage.

Pics awaited :)
Finally got round to adding a couple of pics of my attempt at hand washing myself.

I never used to hand wash my previous cars, always left it to the local hand car wash places however when I bought the S I got it PPF’d and ceramic coated so can’t really use those places any more as I need to use PH neutral products. I am a complete novice. Bought a karcher and a snow foam Lance and then it was pretty much trial and error.

I first rinse it off, then use the snow foam and allow it to stand for 10 mins or so. Rinse and then use a snow foam shampoo, cover it and then use a wash mitt to clean and agitate the shampoo.

Followed by a rinse and dry with a drying towel.

Here is what I use.

Pro-Kleen Snow Foam Lance For Use... Pro-Kleen Snow Foam Lance For Use With Karcher K Series Pressure Washers: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Pro-Kleen pH Neutral Snow Foam... Pro-Kleen pH Neutral Snow Foam Pre-Wash Car Shampoo (10L) Does NOT Strip Waxes/Protective Coatings Creates Super Thick, Non-Caustic Foam Safely Loosens Dirt Grime NO Added Dyes, Waxes or Fragrances: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Autoglym PWS002.5 Polar Wash 2.5L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N6TK...abc_0X5RYNK168A2RTJQ276F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gtechniq WM2 Microfibre Wash Mitt... Gtechniq WM2 Microfibre Wash Mitt - Ultra Low Friction Washcloth, Soft Glide Minimises Swirl Marks - Holds Maximum Volume Of Soap Suds, 100% Split Varied Length Polyester Strands For A Quick Easy Wash: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Gtechniq MF4 Diamond Sandwich... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0105SFDZ8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

IMG_6596 2.jpg
IMG_6597 2.jpg
IMG_6598.jpg
IMG_6599.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. You shouldn't need to pre-rinse before using the snow foam. Most snow foams prefer to go on dry cars - also one less step for you to do :)

Absolutely this.

Prepare car (wipers, side mirrors, autowipers off etc).
Snowfoam with high concentration onto dirty car.
Dwell for 5-10mins.
Power-rinse off.
Snowfoam again, mid-concentration.
Agitate with Woolmitt.
Power-rinse off.

I also use an in-line de-ionisation vessel which means I don't need to dry the vehicle, as all impurities are removed, meaning no water marks as it dries.

Reactions: Jerryjal
Absolutely this.

Prepare car (wipers, side mirrors, autowipers off etc).
Snowfoam with high concentration onto dirty car.
Dwell for 5-10mins.
Power-rinse off.
Snowfoam again, mid-concentration.
Agitate with Woolmitt.
Power-rinse off.

I also use an in-line de-ionisation vessel which means I don't need to dry the vehicle, as all impurities are removed, meaning no water marks as it dries.
Out of curiosity what is a in-line de-ionisation vessel, where do u plug that in ? or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick ?

Thanks
K

Out of curiosity what is a in-line de-ionisation vessel, where do u plug that in ? or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick ?

Thanks
K
It’s quite simple, even though it sounds probably more complex than it is!!

cold water tap
-
Hose
-
Di-Vessel
-
Pressure washer

use it for each stage, snowing & rinsing

you can buy them quite cheaply (£50-120), and they use nuclear grade resin pellets which last 6-12months depending on use.

Reactions: K3v1n
I was recently looking at a resin based deioniser on Amazon just out of semi serious curiosity and was trying to see how long they would last and if it would work with a pressure washer. Its always difficult when someone isn't very specific with their answer such as 'wouldn’t last long', but I came away very much thinking its a unit that you use only for final rinse with a regular hose - I wash in 3 stages using Autoglym Polar Blast/Wash/Seal all jet wash applied/rinsed.

I had kind of hoped that I would get a couple of years or more 'monthly' washes out of each fill, all using the power washer to save having to remember to connect/disconnect things so I think I would be disapointed with its longevity. We have quite hard water here.

Reactions: init6
I was recently looking at a resin based deioniser on Amazon just out of semi serious curiosity and was trying to see how long they would last and if it would work with a pressure washer. Its always difficult when someone isn't very specific with their answer such as 'wouldn’t last long', but I came away very much thinking its a unit that you use only for final rinse with a regular hose - I wash in 3 stages using Autoglym Polar Blast/Wash/Seal all jet wash applied/rinsed.

I had kind of hoped that I would get a couple of years or more 'monthly' washes out of each fill, all using the power washer to save having to remember to connect/disconnect things so I think I would be disapointed with its longevity. We have quite hard water here.
Raceglaze 14L units say they will give 1100L of water in a hard water area. My Karcher K4 can pump 410l/h so about 3 hours of continuous use. Obviously you only use the P/W for minutes at a time, but I'm sure it would quickly add up every wash. Convenience factor aside, I can't quite see the point of using it for everything when you're going to rinse everything off the car at the end of a wash. Maybe I'm missing something.

Moderation comment - thread merged from "Pressure washer and gear?"

Hello!

I have finally made it and moved to a house with an outside tap! This means I can get a pressure washer/lance type set up!

Can anyone recommend a decent pressure washer and associated kit?

Total car washing newbie!

Thanks

Gareth

Last edited by a moderator: