Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow Cheapskates: How's your SR (no Plus) doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sometimes feel like we're the invisible Model 3 owners. I don't hear much about them very often, so I thought it would be worthwhile to have our own thread to report battery health, our experience taking the SR on road trips, worthwhile upgrades, etc...

My 3yo SR is showing 218 miles of range at 100%, which I think is great, but I DO wonder, since I don't really know how anyone else's SR is doing. I have also always found it odd that my "about" screen reads "Standard Range Plus" does everyone else's?

I sometimes feel like we're the invisible Model 3 owners. I don't hear much about them very often, so I thought it would be worthwhile to have our own thread to report battery health, our experience taking the SR on road trips, worthwhile upgrades, etc...

My 3yo SR is showing 218 miles of range at 100%, which I think is great, but I DO wonder, since I don't really know how anyone else's SR is doing. I have also always found it odd that my "about" screen reads "Standard Range Plus" does everyone else's?

Jealous. Mine is 190 miles at it's best. My screen reads "Standard Range" now too :( I don't remember what the max range should be. I wish TSLA would show KWh, but that would make warranty claims easier

I do intend to trade /sell b/f basic warranty expires.

Love the idea of our own thread, but remember we're not cheapskates, just value driven :) !

Reactions: davewill
As I said, mine still reads "Standard Range Plus". I consider that a bit of a nuisance in the event I want to sell, as it leaves me explaining that the car is actually an SR, not an SR+, despite what the info screen says.

or sell it as SR+ ;) with some degradation. My screen said that for a year or two too. Like you said we're in a minority like LEMR crew so the code updates are spotty. I'm sure they'll do it if you submit a ticket. I wonder if it would take range for you though?

I did ask a tech about unlocking the pack but he said even the SC couldn't w/o TSLA engineers authorizing it since the pack might not permit :(

Wasn't there someone who recently posted about purchasing the $2,000 upgrade from SR to SR+ recently (i.e. after having had the SR for a few years)?

Yeah I read that too, but debating whether I really need it and what the ROI will be since I plan on trading b/f basic warranty is up. Esp. if tax credit comes into play again and used prices stay high

I didn't realize the SR was that rare. As a SR owner I like this "gaming" b/c gives the maker incentive to make cheaper alternatives:

Also according to The Drive article, “from May 2019 until April 2021, Tesla sold just 151 units of the Standard Range Model 3, meaning that buyers received $755,000 in subsidies to use towards the lower-range EV. Meanwhile, it amassed a sale of 22,938 units of the Standard Range Plus.” Clearly Tesla gamed the Canadian system and we may see something similar happen in the US unless the final legislation is designed to limit or prohibit these end around approaches.

Last edited:
I feel like a traitor

I purchased my SR Sept of 2019. As you, I purchased for $35,000. Then Calif gave me $2500 for buying an EV and So. Cal. Edison sent me $1000 for the same reason. Making the cost of the car $31,500.

On my birthday last year (December 2021) my wife (because we were in the area) wanted to go to the Tesla store and look around. We did but we shouldn't have. I drove a Performance model. That was my downfall. I ordered a M3 Performance when I got home and sold my SR two weeks later for $43,500.

The investment in my 2019 SR made me more profit than my neighbor who owns 144 shares of Tesla stock and selling the SR gave me enough money to help pay for the model upgrade.

Loved my SR and being that it was so "cheap" is the reason I purchased and later on became a beta tester for Tesla and a Tesla fan boy.

Because I'm no longer an SR owner, this is my last post BUT I will be watching this thread and enjoying the read.

Last edited:
I feel like a traitor

I purchased my SR Sept of 2019. As you, I purchased for $35,000. Then Calif gave me $2500 for buying an EV and So. Cal. Edison sent me $1000 for the same reason. Making the cost of the car $31,500.

On my birthday last year (December 2021) my wife (because we were in the area) wanted to go to the Tesla store and look around. We did but we shouldn't have. I drove a Performance model. That was my downfall. I ordered a M3 Performance when I got home and sold my SR two weeks later for $43,500.

The investment in my 2019 SR made me more profit than my neighbor who owns 144 shares of Tesla stock and selling the SR gave me enough money to help pay for the model upgrade.

Loved my SR and being that it was so "cheap" is the reason I purchased and later on became a beta tester for Tesla and a Tesla fan boy.

Because I'm no longer an SR owner, this is my last post BUT I will be watching this thread and enjoying the read.

Wow great job flipping for profit. But what about taxes?

Also thank your neighbor who owns 144 shares of Tesla stock it's the main reason why TSLA can afford to sell the SR at the price they did

That’s pretty good. My 3yo SR+ only has a few more miles at 100% than that.

Reactions: RedWhite19
Jealous. Mine is 190 miles at it's best. My screen reads "Standard Range" now too :( I don't remember what the max range should be. I wish TSLA would show KWh, but that would make warranty claims easier

I do intend to trade /sell b/f basic warranty expires.

Love the idea of our own thread, but remember we're not cheapskates, just value driven :) !

Good to know at least one other person has the similar range as my car. I'm right around 193 on full charge, which is down a *lot* from the starting point of 218. I asked Tesla service about it, but of course they had nothing useful to say.

My only ever said Standard Range, I took delivery in March 2020... Yeah, then. $35,400 and some mods later, and this car is a steal. I really like the cheating the system aspect of getting a car this good for so cheap. No Autopilot, just stock cruise control.

My best guess on the lowered range is that I don't run it low very much at all. Lowest I've been is maybe once to 18% or so. I think the pack cannot calibrate properly without seeing a deeper cycle once in awhile. That's tough to do when I've got... 3100 miles total. c-19 has me mostly homebound.

However- lots to still like. It was 102 degrees here today, and no AC in the house. From 4:30 to 6:30 I took my laptop to my car, and ran the AC there. Used about 10% of the battery. :cool: