Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fellow MS owners from Vic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I am very new to the whole EV thing, only 4 months in, anyway, I only realised that there was another supercharger network at Euroa when I saw pics on the FB page, located next to the Maccas.

Can you guys shed some light as to what is required to use the RACV network? any special adapters? apps on the phone? RACV membership (which i have)? 3 arms and 5 legs?

Also, where are the other chargers on the RACv network (as i seem to be unble to find that information via google).

Thanks for your help

Hi @Dilz it's Tim from Chargefox here. You will need a CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla or loan one from the Tesla Owners Club and you will need to download the Chargefox app. That's it!

Hey Timpoo,

Do you have a link for the adapter i can purchase? I've seen the one on the telsa US site, but it looks like it has a different plug (the part that goes into our car).

Cheers

Dilin

Hey Timpoo,

Do you have a link for the adapter i can purchase? I've seen the one on the telsa US site, but it looks like it has a different plug (the part that goes into our car).

Cheers

Dilin
There doesn’t seem to be an online shop for Australia. Contact the Melbourne Service Centre and they can sell you a CHADEMO adapter. Last I heard they were circa $800.
If you don’t have immediate need for an adapter, I would wait for the upcoming CCS2 adapter as this will be the most common DC Quick Charging standard from now on.

There doesn’t seem to be an online shop for Australia. Contact the Melbourne Service Centre and they can sell you a CHADEMO adapter. Last I heard they were circa $800.
If you don’t have immediate need for an adapter, I would wait for the upcoming CCS2 adapter as this will be the most common DC Quick Charging standard from now on.

Any idea if this (CCS2) may be compatible with my 2015 p90D. I don't have the twin onboard chargers. Regarding the twin chargers, should I get it installed?

Any idea if this (CCS2) may be compatible with my 2015 p90D. I don't have the twin onboard chargers. Regarding the twin chargers, should I get it installed?
Twin chargers are only important for AC Charging from a Tesla Wall Connector or 32A 3 Phase with a suitable EVSE like a Juice Booster, as in this case the on board charger has to convert AC to DC. Each charger can convert 11Kw so you can put about 60Kmh range with a single and 120Kmh with duals. For DC Quick Charging the machine converts the AC supply to DC and your on board inverter is bypassed. The charger simply communicates between the battery and the DC Quick Charger to adjust the flow of power into the battery.

Twin chargers are only important for AC Charging from a Tesla Wall Connector or 32A 3 Phase with a suitable EVSE like a Juice Booster, as in this case the on board charger has to convert AC to DC . For DC Quick Charging the machine converts the AC supply to DC and your on board inverter is bypassed. The charger simply communicates between the battery and the DC Quick Charger to adjust the flow of power into the battery.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

Dilin

Details on the ccs2 adapter are sparse but it should be smaller, higher current and cheaper. I expect with ccs2 and the supercharger v3 update the 100kWhr cars will get ~150kw charge rates and the 90kWhr cars will get ~120kw charge rates.

If you get a chademo adapter you will be limited to 50kw. Also as Australia has now effectively settled on ccs2 as it's standard it should be the most prolifent type of connector out there soon. Even Tesla should start adding them to super chargers as they have done in Europe.