Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Female engineer sues Tesla, describing a culture of 'pervasive harassment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fire a whistleblower? The whistleblower talks about discrimination in the workplace as well as selling defective cars and you terminate her?

Smart move, Tesla. Clearly you think you are invincible and above the law, this will come back to bite you. Heads will roll for much less than this, and surprised upper level would allow such a bonehead move.

In the end you will learn it would've been much cheaper to keep paying her a salary and have her work from home.

I just have to respond to the comments of women being hired over 'better qualified' men in the industry.

While there very likely are instances of this, I can also point to far more instances of men being hired over better qualified women. I am not sympathetic to that argument. Sorry, not sorry.

But a more positive spin is this: When we hire engineers, we look at resumes. But each and every person brings other things to the job, based on their life experiences. Cultural differences. Gender differences. Age differences. And I will happily have the discussion with anyone over how, having a diversified team, we built better products. (Who knew that the buttons would get caught up when being pressed from the side by a tester with longer nails? Oh, we did. Because we had a tester with long nails, just like so many other women that would be using the product. No one thought to write that as a requirement. But we caught it. Thanks, Shannon!)

Diversified teams result in better products. Period. And if all you're doing is comparing resumes, you're missing the bigger picture.
Diversified teams result in better life. :)

She strikes back again! New claims emerge amidst the company holding a crowded meeting with factory workers and executives about the issue. What do you guys think? I've always thought Tesla has a better workplace than other tech companies, but these reports say otherwise??
Report: Women discuss discrimination, harassment and "predator zone" at Tesla
TLDR: Tesla says that the claims from that specific woman are false, and the company has and is taking steps to address the issue.

Tesla has rejected Vandermeyden’s claims...

“Despite repeatedly receiving special treatment at the expense of others, Ms. Vandermeyden nonetheless chose to pursue a miscarriage of justice by suing Tesla and falsely attacking our company in the press,” a spokesperson said. “After we carefully considered the facts on multiple occasions and were absolutely convinced that Ms. Vandermeyden’s claims were illegitimate, we had no choice but to end her employment at Tesla.”