Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fender bender fail on AP 1.0 (My Fault)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="mk9027866, post: 2124028, member: 45715"...AP failed to stop...[/QUOTE]

Sorry that happened to you. My AP2 has dealt with that quite well most of the time but I still do have to intervene by manual braking from time to time.

Would anyone knows about traffic law for this scenario?

Would it be the fault of the lane changer who did not assure that the lane was clear without any speeding car coming forward?

Or is it the fault of the existing lane driver who didn't yield for the other car that does a cut off in front maneuver?

[QUOTE="mk9027866, post: 2124028, member: 45715"...AP failed to stop...

Sorry that happened to you. My AP2 has dealt with that quite well most of the time but I still do have to intervene by manual braking from time to time.

Would anyone knows about traffic law for this scenario?

Would it be the fault of the lane changer who did not assure that the lane was clear without any speeding car coming forward?

Or is it the fault of the existing lane driver who didn't yield for the other car that does a cut off in front maneuver?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's almost always the fault of the car in the rear. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

We didn't even exchange info and I'm having my bumper painted so it's all done anyways.

I didn't... What could they possibly do?

Tesla has already known that AP1 can still cause accidents.

That is why if AP1 causes accident, a human driver is to blame for allowing the system to cause accident.

There are many limitations in AP1 and Tesla is solving one by one with its own priority list.

So in my opinion, there is no need to send it to Tesla because it only drowns them in information that they have already known.

• Love
Reactions: Electric1
I'm pretty sure it's almost always the fault of the car in the rear. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am glad this incidence was resolved between both drivers.

For reference:

Who's at fault? Merging lane cause rear-end col - Q&A - Avvo

It seems that if there is an evidence of "cutting off" then the lane changer is at fault.

"Cutting Off" means your car is not completely in the new lane just yet and got hit by a car in the new lane.

An evidence of "cutting off" could be a broken tail light on just one end, not a damage in the middle of rear bumper...

Thus, for this case, the van did not completely get settled in entirely to the new lane and it got hit. It still straddled 2 lanes.

My understanding is the lane changer didn't correctly estimate the new lane car speed and maneuvered a "cut off" in the hope that the speed of the new lane would decrease.

Last edited:
I didn't... What could they possibly do?

Just help future drivers and software versions. Sorry that happened. You were gracious to admit it was your fault (it likely is) but worth seeing if it could be 50/50 responsibility. I usually don't pull in front of other cars if I can't line up straight and I try to do it in a manner where driver behind me doesn't even have to slow down.