Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fender trim came off going through puddle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Not sure if anyone has seen this before. Two days ago, I drove through a puddle. It was raining hard the night before. It was dark outside so I didn’t see the puddle. When the X went through it, water came up. I didn’t think anything was unusual although I was surprised there was quite a puddle there. I later found out that the front driver fender (black plastic trim) broke off. The PDC was left dangling so I had to tuck it in so it doesn’t keep hitting the tires. Anyone seen this before? Anyone know how much that plastic trim cost? I created the service schedule but don’t have an estimate from Tesla yet.

Attachments

• 0A386A36-C684-4A07-86AA-0404BA6FE42A.jpeg
    0A386A36-C684-4A07-86AA-0404BA6FE42A.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 3A415CC0-E95B-4880-A847-4C2C8B73E8AD.jpeg
    3A415CC0-E95B-4880-A847-4C2C8B73E8AD.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 343
That happened to me but my car had already been repaired from an accident. I took it back to the shop and the service writer said it’s a known issue (to them?). He said the trick is to connect the fender flares to the bumper cover first, before installing the bumper cover. in any case they took care of it for me.

That happened to me but my car had already been repaired from an accident. I took it back to the shop and the service writer said it’s a known issue (to them?). He said the trick is to connect the fender flares to the bumper cover first, before installing the bumper cover. in any case they took care of it for me.
I can believe that, I wasn’t about to take my bumper cover off ;) It’s not necessary though.

There is one odd bolt that goes from the inside out into the flare. That blot is on another small trim piece on the bottom and that connects to the bumber cover. I just took that piece off and bolted it to the flare first. It’s a lot wiggling and swearing to get it on.

I think my body shop said they would put it on while I waited for like $50. I should have taken them up on it.

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has seen this before. Two days ago, I drove through a puddle. It was raining hard the night before. It was dark outside so I didn’t see the puddle. When the X went through it, water came up. I didn’t think anything was unusual although I was surprised there was quite a puddle there. I later found out that the front driver fender (black plastic trim) broke off. The PDC was left dangling so I had to tuck it in so it doesn’t keep hitting the tires. Anyone seen this before? Anyone know how much that plastic trim cost? I created the service schedule but don’t have an estimate from Tesla yet.
Your fender flare trim is between 200 and 300 Dollars...used on e-bay. The labor is about the same. You're looking at roughly 600 Dollars if nothing else, like a sensor needs replacing.

Your fender flare trim is between 200 and 300 Dollars...used on e-bay. The labor is about the same. You're looking at roughly 600 Dollars if nothing else, like a sensor needs replacing.
A lot of Tesla parts are WAY over priced on eBay.

Like I said $55.00 from Tesla.

$300 to install would be highway robbery.

Now if you need new sensors and/or wiring, yes.

Price to replace my Rut front one on 2017 X 100D.

Concern: Customer states replace right front fender arch molding.
Correction: Garnish - Fender - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Price Adjustment
32.25 0.00
Price Adjustment
55.00 0.00
Subtotal
Subtotal
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASSY, FENDER 1.00 GARNISH FR, RH MDL X(1035289-00-L)
Total Parts Amount 55.00 Total Labor Amount 32.25
Unit Price
Parts Subtotal 55.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay

Price to replace my Rut front one on 2017 X 100D.

Concern: Customer states replace right front fender arch molding.
Correction: Garnish - Fender - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Price Adjustment
32.25 0.00
Price Adjustment
55.00 0.00
Subtotal
Subtotal
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASSY, FENDER 1.00 GARNISH FR, RH MDL X(1035289-00-L)
Total Parts Amount 55.00 Total Labor Amount 32.25
Unit Price
Parts Subtotal 55.00
Pay Type: Customer Pay
Where did you get this done, I have the same issue

I had to have both fender garnishes replaced at the same time:

Driver - Bumped a snow pile and it pulled free, eventually broke loose
Passenger - While waiting for "parts" - the passenger side literally flew off while driving down the highway - no previous damage to garnish, so real weird

Mobile service replaced both, and due to the passenger garnish tearing off at highway speeds, they had to replace a harness under the bumper cover for the parking sensors.

$55/ea for the fender garnish
$110 for the wiring harness
$185 for labor