Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ferrari planning more hybrids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very high percentage of automotive advancements have come from the Formula 1 industry, of which Ferrari is a firm and huge partner. KERS and inertial dampening suspensions, paddle shifting, minimizing unsprung mass - all of it has its birth in F1. In a outfit that saw Shell Oil spend $1M USD in one year just to rearrange the molecules in petrol to reduce the weight of the liter a few grams, one would expect this sort of movement toward technologically savvy motorcoaches ...

Go for it Maranello!!

Also on CNBC 1 minute ago, they say Ferrari is a "different driving experience" from a Tesla so no comparison.

It's true. Driving a Ferrari is a full-on sensory experience, along the lines of taking a ride on a thoroughbred horse. It demands your full attention. You will never fall asleep at the wheel of a Ferrari.

In the CNBC interview, the Ferrari North America chief says that Ferrari has reduced its fuel consumption by 40% in the last few years. While admirable, I imagine that the State of California—Ferrari's largest American market—had something to do with that.

It's true. Driving a Ferrari is a full-on sensory experience, along the lines of taking a ride on a thoroughbred horse. It demands your full attention. You will never fall asleep at the wheel of a Ferrari.

+1 Totally agree.

I had an old 328 about ten years ago. It is literally an engine planted in the middle of this item that subsequently turned out to be a vehicle. My (then) wife did not like it at all. And, yes, it did demand your FULL attention. There is none of this sit in the car and ride. It was a driver's car. Personally (uh oh, here he goes ...) I feel there are three phases of Ferrari's

1) the original days from the racing cars of the 50s and 60s to the end of the front ended Lampredi and columbo V12s
2) from the dino to the 348/355 era - mid engined V6/V8 (they threw in the 412 and the BB in this era and I can't find a place to categorize them)
3) anything from the 360/360 challenge on.

The first category comprised drum braked cars with carbs and men with pot bellies driving them in Monaco and anywhere else they could. F1, GP2, whatever they could find
The second category was the cars that Enzo created to pay for his addiction to racing. These are the dinos the GT4, 308, 328, 348 and 355 cars. The 355 was the watershed car into the digital and technical era
The third category saw cars with F1 shifters and digital injections and on board CPUs. Some might say that Ferrari sold out when they took this route, but Jefferson Airplane became Jefferson starship, The Cubs started playing games at night, The Designated Hitter emerged and - let's face it - the world just will never be the same, right?

I did not know about the 40% reduction in fuel consumption - that is a bonus. My 328 loved its petrol. I actually had to thin it a bit on the last few inspections for it to pass. Sold it to a AeroMexico pilot in Houston. Maybe I will send him an email.

Hmmmm

When the word "hybrid" and the name Ferrari appear in the same sentence, it's likely not the same sort of hybrid drive train offered by other manufacturers. In Ferrari's case (and recently Porsche's) we're talking about KERS—the electric drive add-on developed for Formula 1 and GT endurance racing. In most cases, this involves electric motors at the front wheels, used to get additional torque during acceleration. Unlike common hybrid cars, these systems use the gas engine and the electric drive at the same time. It's there mainly for performance.