TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ferries, nighttime, winter, and the Model S lighting controls: not a good mix

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Vger, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Vger

Vger Active Member

Hi Fellow Canadians,

I wanted to alert you to an issue I have discovered with the way the exterior lighting controls function on the Model S in Canada, especially their handling of the daytime running light (DRL) requirement. I expect this will also affect Model S owners in Atlantic Canada.

Below is the full text of an email I sent today to Tesla Ownership, as well as to the leadership of Tesla Canada:

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Good catch. I wish more automakers would allow DRLs off when in park or not moving. My last few cars have had no way to disable the DRLs whenever the engine is on, even if in Park and with the Parking Brake on. (A few years back, one of my cars would turn the DRLs off if the Parking Brake was on). I would have to completely shut my current ICE car down to get the lights to go out in the circumstances you describe also.

3. Shorty

Shorty Member

A little bit different on an ICE car since you have to turn off the engine on ferries anyways. AFAIK, the only open deck ferries in BC run on the minor routes which at least reduces the impact of the problem to just Vger! Having the DRL's off when the e-brake is engaged is pretty common with US cars that have been modified to comply with TC DRL requirements so I think that is a good suggestion.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Kind of kills going to drive-in movies as well.

5. Shorty

Shorty Member

Where are there still drive in movies? You are dating yourself!

6. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

There are two within my local area in Ontario.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

and 4 within in hour of my house (Suburban Boston)

9. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Still several drive-ins available across North America.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yep, but to be fair, we took our A6 to a drive in too, and the dang car kept going to sleep after about 15 minutes. We'd have to restart the car and turn it back off (which would bring the lights back on for a bit). I felt bad, but eventually we realized if we just touched the radio or some function every so often it would keep the car awake.

11. Hobiemon

Hobiemon Member

Thanks Vger, as CDN # 508 I'm hopeful that by the time I get mine you will have all the bugs figured out for us future owners! I'm down to checking my "Tesla garage" about 50 times a day from 100!

12. Shorty

Shorty Member

My "garage" says that my car is still being built but I received it 2 weeks ago!

13. Vger

Vger Active Member

#13 Vger, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    With respect, Shorty, it does not just affect me, it affects anyone taking a Model S to any BC island smaller than Vancouver Island. BC Ferries operates 18 open-deck ferries, a majority of the fleet.

Also, the behaviour is much more insidious than that in an ICE, because you cannot turn an ICE back on by just squirming in your seat, or brushing the brake pedal with your foot!

It will also affect anyone who wants to rest in their car in an RV Park while charging, or any situation where you want your car warm and dark.

14. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

I would think a simple solution, and one I have seen in some ICE cars, is simply to have DRL off when in park. That works well and should be relatively easy to implement (if gear=park then DRL=off else DRL=on essentially?) in the the next firmware update.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Agreed. Canadian cars (at lease some) used to work like this years ago. Almost every car I've seen in the last few years had DRLs running at all times whenever the engine is running, whether in Park, with the Parking Brake on or what have you. One car I had would not put the DRLs on until you shifted to Drive, but having done that, there was no way to turn them off short of turning the engine off and re-starting.

16. Shorty

Shorty Member

Vger made a good point in that even if you put the car into park, tapping the brake pedal moves it out of park.

- - - Updated - - -

BC has a population of 4.4M while all of the gulf islands combined have about 15,000. If 400 cars are delivered to BC as you suggest then statistically only 1 person is impacted!

Besides, you gulf islanders are used to being done over by BC Ferries :)

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wakes up, not shifts out of Park (unless you also shift)

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You also have to count the tourists, they can swell the Gulf Islands population by several times.

19. Shorty

Shorty Member

Vast majority of tourists come to Vancouver Island which does not use open deck ferries. Tourists also tend to travel over the summer months where lighting is less of an issue.

20. Vger

Vger Active Member

I really do not want to get into a pissing contest here, but I am rather flabbergasted why you are working so hard to invalidate my point. As I have made abundantly clear:

1) this problem can arise in quite a number of other situations;

2) the population of Tesla's living in or traveling in the Gulf Islands will certainly grow.

3) It does not only "affect" the driver, it affects the safety of everyone on the ferry that the offending car is also on.

4) As others have pointed out, this can EASILY be solved by a few lines of firmware code. One simply has to keep the DRL's off until the car is affirmatively put in "D" drive.

5) If the problem is not fixed now, it will likely affect the Model X, and the Gen III car as well.

I am not being selfish here, I am trying to improve a product I have great respect and even affection for. What harm is there in correcting this unnecessary behaviour? What is the trade-off?

What is your point, Shorty?