Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ferries, nighttime, winter, and the Model S lighting controls: not a good mix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the trade-off?

What is your point, Shorty?

I think that I have made it pretty clear that I thought your suggestion was a good idea. You included me by reference in your letter to Tesla so I am simply stating that to me this is not an "urgent" issue. I would much rather see things like tethering, a wifi hotspot, better iphone/android integration and a number of little bugs sorted out first. If Tesla has the development staff to do everything at the same time then great and I am not impacted.

My comments about you being the only one impacted were tongue in cheek and not meant to offend you.

Vast majority of tourists come to Vancouver Island which does not use open deck ferries.

That is certainly true.

Tourists also tend to travel over the summer months where lighting is less of an issue.

I traveled to the Gulf Islands in both winter and summer several times a year. However, I was bicycling rather than driving.

Had some time to try this last night and found that when the car is in park and the lights turned off then the parking light stays on. If you select the parking light button however the parking light goes off and hitting the brake does not turn it back on. Sounds either counter-intuitive or a bug to me but it solves the problem.

Had some time to try this last night and found that when the car is in park and the lights turned off then the parking light stays on. If you select the parking light button however the parking light goes off and hitting the brake does not turn it back on. Sounds either counter-intuitive or a bug to me but it solves the problem.

...and the DRLs stay off? I thought Vger found the DRLs come on whenever the car is on (which is how a lot of current ICE cars work as well).

Thanks for your investigation, Shorty.

I just went out and tried to replicate what you report above. My car does not behave as you suggest. For reference, I am on firmware v. 4.1 (.29). Here is what I see:

With the car in Park, and exterior lights in Auto, switch the lights to Off. The headlights go off, but the The DRL's come on. The DRL's are quite bright, but shine a diffuse, non-projecting light, compared to the headlights.

Switch to "Parking" (lights), DRL's go off, but parking lights come on. Switch off lights again, DRL's come on.

Please note, the parking lights are simply a dimmer setting of the same LED elements that form the DRL's. Unless you are in a very dark environment, when you switch to parking lights, you could think that nothing is on.

As I reported originally, the ONLY way to get all the exterior lights off is to power down the car. When you do this, the headlights will come back on if you touch the brake pedal, UNLESS the car is in RANGE driving mode, AND you wait the 15 minutes (vs. 2 hours in non-range mode) to allow the car to go fully asleep. At that point touching the brake pedal will not re-awaken the car, and you have to push the key fob to get the car to re-awaken, which will immediately turn the headlights back on.

The only work-around for a cold car on the ferry, I have found, is to power down the car, and then immediately touch the touchscreen. This not only brings the computers back on, but it brings climate control back, but leaves the exterior lights off. As long as you do not touch the brake pedal you are warm and all the exterior lights are off. If you touch the brake pedal, however, you are screwed (headlights blasting on).