Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few more chargers in Palo Alto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used all the locations they mentioned at least once while eating / shopping downtown.
Recently with J1772 in the LEAF, and previously with AVCON (now since removed) with the old RangerEV.

In terms of bay area towns, Palo Alto & Redwood City are leading the way in terms of public L2 charging infrastructure.

Note, I am finding that the charge spots are less likely to be available these days with the recent proliferation of LEAFs and VOLTs in the area.
Hopefully they add even more spaces now that they are seeing good use.

I just received a heads-up message from Will Beckett of the eaacc.org
EAA Chapter that the Avcons at the Santa Cruz, CA Soquel & Front
Garage have been retrofired to ClipperCreek J1772 EVSE. See
Soquel & Front Garage - Santa Cruz, CA - Recargo

Of the Redwood City public EVSE: The Jefferson Ave. Garage
(underground) is the most used, but nearby Middlefield (outside)
parking across from the Cost Plus and near the Rail-Road tracks and
the EVSE at the Marshal St Garage are rarely used. All of these
Redwood City sites are free2charge and also free to park up to 1.5
hours, longer with theater validation.

The Redwood City Fleet Mgr has pretty much max'd out his budget for
EVSE installations. There is one more going in at the Morton Center,
but it has been delayed with snafu's, plus it is off the beaten track
with little to do. So, no other RWC EVSE going in as far as I know.

But to the South, Menlo College has two dual L1&2 EVSE.
And to the north is a really cool site at Electronic Arts. The CTO has
made it a public site (this is rare as most Hi-tech companies get
paranoid about public access). Just plug in at EA, lock-up, and walk
across the street for plenty to do at the nice shopping center while
you charge.

reference
Jefferson Ave. Garage - Redwood City, CA - Recargo

Middlefield Parking Lot - Redwood City, California - Recargo

Marshall St. Garage - Redwood City, CA - Recargo

Menlo College - Atherton, California - Recargo

Electronic Arts - Redwood City, CA - Recargo

(don't let the screwy EVSE detail confuse you, that is coulomb's
faulty db feed, not recargo's fault).

{brucedp.150m.com}

I was at Electronic Arts today (went for the KoJa food truck) and saw the 5 charging spots occupied by 5 Leafs. the 6th spot has an old paddle charger gathering cobwebs. Further back in the visitor spots was a Volt, not charging. I'm sorry I didn't take pics!

I'm curious how many of those Leafs really need to be plugged in all day long. This is a real world example of all those discussions about the complications of chargers and prioritization. Would love to interview the Leaf owners about how it's been working for them, and whether there's a 6th Leaf who is coming in from 60 miles away only to find all the chargers taken.

I have stopped at EA occasionally and I generally see the same 3 LEAFs, and one Volt parked there. I think it is primarily used by employees who leave their cars there all day.
With that said, each time I got there, there was still one extra spot available, so I was able to charge a bit, so I am thankful that EA has provided these.
It is particularly helpful now that VW ERL has restricted their L2s and the L3 has been so unreliable.

I have stopped at EA occasionally and I generally see the same 3 LEAFs, and one Volt parked there. I think it is primarily used by employees who leave their cars there all day.
With that said, each time I got there, there was still one extra spot available, so I was able to charge a bit, so I am thankful that EA has provided these.
It is particularly helpful now that VW ERL has restricted their L2s and the L3 has been so unreliable.
I filmed my hcsharp J1772 adapter video at EA (after failing to find the chargers at the San Mateo Walgreens) and there were 3 Leafs and a Volt so one space free for me to use. Was nice for videoing that I didn't have to mess w/ a chargepoint card and all that.

(after failing to find the chargers at the San Mateo Walgreens).

Some of the charge maps mistakenly show the El Camino Walgreens... It has never had an EVSE but was listed on the maps. (bummer!)
There is one Chargepoint at the downtown San Mateo Walgreens. But it is my understanding that 350green now charges an hourly rate to charge there... Plus there is a listed 30 minute parking limit there.