Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few Q's on installation options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a different question than talking about getting a quote for a 50A circuit versus a 100A circuit. A 50A circuit can be done as a 14-50 outlet or wall connector and there wouldn't be much cost difference. And since your last several comments were about how to split up a 50A circuit for multiple cars, that seemed to be the topic of how to do that appropriately.
I'm not sure why we're arguing about this; I feel like you think that I have a bias about HPWCs and trying to prove me wrong by questioning my statements. There was no bias in what I said, it was true.

First, I said:
I understand words "proper" and "compliant". However, for some of us that translates into thousands of extra dollars not counting HPWC costs

You modified my words into
...using the existing capacity of a 50A circuit someone already has at the garage properly...There is no "thousands" of dollars.

Prior to that, you dismissed what I was discussing as
kludge-y splitters

So, again, if I went with my lowest 14-50 quote, the difference is $2k - $700 = $1,300.
If I did what you advocate as proper solution with HPWCs, then since my service is 200A and not 125A, it did not make sense to limit myself to 50A and as that estimator was ok-ing 100A, then the difference would be $4.5k - $700 = $3.8k
So, again, do you consider this thousands of dollars or no? This is the best/proper solution with HPWCs that you advocate for.

$700 is enabled by the RV buddy auto, which you call "kludge-y".

There were few solutions discussed in the thread and in the post for which you went ballistic on me, I specifically discussed pros and cons of non-compliant, not per code solutions, which are enabled by splitters. The subject of that post was NOT 14-50 vs HPWCs as these are both compliant in general.

No, that's not a given. Why do so many people have that assumption? I'm going to be changing out my 14-50 outlet for a wall connector on the same 50A circuit pretty soon. Wall connectors can be on many different circuit levels; they don't require a high amp circuit. And sharing for multiple vehicles is one of the obvious advantages they have to get the best use out of a lower power circuit.
I did say "for some of us", didn't I?
I'm not questioning your setup. I just feel that a bigger advantage of HPWCs is that you can get them set up on a bigger circuit and then they wouldn't cut you off at 32amp level like UMC, so you can charge LR model 3 @48amps.
That was the compelling feature to me worth spending some extra money for.
But if we're talking about putting multiple HPWCs on a 50amp circuit, then to me spending the extra money for this just does not seem to be worth it.

Like I said, for my initial setup, I will have 14-50.
Charging @32amps is good enough.
If I buy 2nd EV some years from now (I'd likely be waiting for Y or mini-SUV that Elon also mentioned as future plans) then I'll add 2nd circuit @24amps charge rate with dryer buddy. This will cost me roughly as HPWC unit alone, w/o the cost of work connecting it.

My 32amps + 24amps, I think, will not be any worse then your 40amps dynamically allocated between 2 vehicles, but much cheaper (for me).

If I ever get a 3rd EV, which I doubt, then I'll need to do some thinking as adding a 2nd splitter into garage for 14-50, resulting in 2 splitters and extension cord on that circuit does not appeal to me. Probably at that point I'd pay to add 14-50 properly to garage with panel rework and everything. Right now I think the chances of this happening are pretty low.

To summarize, you can have a proper HPWC based solution (which does not work for other brands of cars as was rightfully pointed out)
or
Less proper solution with splitters(of which dryer buddy looks most solid to me) and 14-50s.

While many of us are Tesla fans, is it a crime to buy, say, 5-10 years from now a 3rd vehicle of non-Tesla brand? How will you charge it?

Tesla might be well established by then and not needing any prop ups. And there might be decent competitors by then. Keep in mind that Tesla cannot single handedly replace all ICEs in the world. Other brands will need to pitch in and we will need to reward companies making best vehicles/support infrastructure with our dollars.

So, HPWCs or non-HPWCs is not a clear cut choice.