Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few Q's on installation options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their ordering page is kind of complicated. You pick the basic product based on what outlet types you want and add it to your cart. Then you add the upgrade package of Plus or Plus Auto to your cart also for them to build it that way.
Not necessarily; for RV buddy it's a single product to add to cart -
Plus - RV Buddy Plus #1 Custom 50A 2-way switcher, 3.5' 14-50 plug cable to two 14-50 outlets, with kWh meter
Auto - RV Buddy Plus AUTO #1 Custom 50A 2-way switcher, 3.5' 14-50 plug cable to two 14-50 outlets, with kWh meter

I understand RV and range buddies is pretty much the same product, except for RV they put some disclaimers that it's not rain proof.

Btw they have email for questions and respond within 1-2 days.

@Moderatefan Oh, great. So in some cases it takes one item in the cart to buy it, and in other cases it takes two--even more confusing.

I'm not in any way related or trying to protect that site... seems he started this in 2014 and AUTO version only came out a year ago per info on the site...one guy shop and probably has enough on his hands, so the site could have some improvements.

We give a lot of slack to Elon and seems Brad here tries to do something useful for us EV owners, so I'm not going to hold that confusion against him(he replied to my emails at least) and will buy that product, and hope it will work for me.

I'm not in any way related or trying to protect that site... seems he started this in 2014 and AUTO version only came out a year ago per info on the site...one guy shop and probably has enough on his hands, so the site could have some improvements.

We give a lot of slack to Elon and seems Brad here tries to do something useful for us EV owners, so I'm not going to hold that confusion against him(he replied to my emails at least) and will buy that product, and hope it will work for me.
True. I shouldn't be so picky about that for a small operation.

I had trouble with even $2k quote electricians getting back to me. One of them looked at my panel load and said per calculations he cannot add a 2nd 14-50 in the future(200amp panel) if need to be, so I'd be limited to a single outlet he can add with all of the re-work of panel. That got me thinking in the direction of the dryer buddy, which lets you share 14-30 between the dryer and another outlet that you can use for EV (with extension cord) - for the future expansion.
Once I read up more on that site, I noticed they also have RV buddy/range buddy products that split 14-50 into two outlets.
There are 3 versions of these splitters:
1. Cheapest, just a Y splitter - if you accidentally use both outlets, then breaker in your electrical panel trips. Some people warn of risk of fire, so I probably wouldn't go with this one.
2. Manual switch on the box, so you ensure manually which outlet now gets the power.
3. Auto plus, which automatically detects if "primary" outlet starts drawing power and if so, disconnects the "secondary" outlet at the 3.5amp level. I.e. for a moment you may be drawing 43.5amps, which is ok for 50amp outlet for "under 3 hours", from what I gathered. However, I have a 40amp breaker on my 14-50 outlet, which currently serves 40amp sauna. I have 50amp wire, so no risk of overload, but I think breaker might trip with the auto option.

So, as a short term solution, I bought 75 feet extension cord for 14-50: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079JBWR6W?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

That should get me covered when the car comes in about a week. The cable is pretty thick. I had it attached to the joists of unfinished basement(would be the same thing if an electrician had to feed the wire into garage), drilled a hole into garage and have ~15feet of the cord available in the garage, which I haven't yet decided where to attach.

I think couple of months later before I start using sauna I will buy manual RV buddy for $330
RV Buddy Plus #1 Custom 50A 2-way switcher, 3.5' 14-50 plug cable to two 14-50 outlets, with kWh meter

The pictures are messed up for that item, but you can see the approx picture with the switch here
Upgrade pak from Dryer Buddy™ on order (waiting for build) to Dryer Buddy™ Plus

So, the buddy and extension cord will get me functional for 2 appliances on a single 14-50 outlet w/o the need to unplug/plug in dif. appliances(which is a risk of wear on the outlet - seems they don't last long) for less than $700. Maybe I could replace the breaker from 40amp to 50amp and get the AUTO version of the buddy.

The buddy product seems to make sense; since electricians don't want to add another high power curcuit in the future, I will do the same with the dryer outlet when it's time for another EV and split 14-30 into two 14-30s (few people don't recommend to split 14-30 into 14-30 and 14-50, since EV will think you have 50amp available on the curcuit, which you don't and may overload if your limit set on the car is somehow reset).

So, I think I will have this 40amp option right now from my outlet ~60 feet away from garage and later another 24amp connection I will add the same way, which will be cheaper; My dryer is on 2nd floor, so I'll drop extension cord into the basement and feed into garage through the same hole, will probably be shorter extension cord and thinner - 30amp vs 50amp. This 2nd connection is my only option that electricians won't do for me.
I guess maybe I could split 14-50 inside the garage, so that each EV only gets half the power, but with buddies(RV and dryer) I'll have 2 separate circuits. No electrician needed ;)

I apperciate your response. Some electrician company are really expensive. No electrican is a great idea.

I own a Dryer Buddy and just got the base version for $160 (with dual NEMA 14-30 outlets). The product listing (at least to me) didn't make it super clear that you needed to purchase add-ons for it to auto switch between using the dryer and charging your car. I figured that out once I tried to do exactly that and my breaker stepped in. Honestly though, it's not hard to say "time to dry some clothes, better stop charging my Tesla." Considering that the 23 mi/hr charging rate I'm getting is plenty for me, it just wasn't worth it to hire an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet. My only other gripe about the Dryer Buddy is that it takes a while to receive it. In my case, a bit over a month.

Does the buddy do a switch from one to the other (i.e. either plug gets full draw, but not both at the same time, except for a short overlap), or does it try to "share" if say both sides were only trying to draw 20 amps?

You know what I just thought, there may be another safe option of sharing the 14-50 that for some reason I did not see anybody suggest...
Basically, if you use the adapters on the end of the Y splitter that make Tesla think it can pull only 20amps from that adapter, then maybe you can have your 20+20 and it will never exceed 40.

For example, looking at Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
there are 14-30, 10-30, and 6-20 adapters. The first two, 80% of 30amps is 24. 24+24 exceeds 40, unfortunately, so this is risky.
However, 6-20 is 20amps, 80% is 16amps, so 16+16 is 32 and is under 40amps max that a 14-50 can sustain.

So, if you have a 14-50 outlet, you may use a splitter
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Female-Li...?srs=9360769011&ie=UTF8&qid=1537333894&sr=8-4
or
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Female-Li...?srs=9360769011&ie=UTF8&qid=1537333894&sr=8-6

and then downgrade each end to 6-20 with a separate adapter. I can't seem to find straight 14-50 to two 6-20s splitter.

Would that work? This is 15mi/hr charging that could be perfectly adequate for many people.
Do we know for sure if the form factor of the adapter determines the max amps that a car would pull from that circuit or it may try to measure the max available amps?

Do we know for sure if the form factor of the adapter determines the max amps that a car would pull from that circuit or it may try to measure the max available amps?
I don't know, but it seems to me that the UMC is trying to measure the available current. When it starts out charging, it's always at a low amperage, and then it slowly raises up. Now, I haven't paid too much attention since the initial charge or two, so I can't confirm that it always does it, but it just kind of seems like it does.

You know what I just thought, there may be another safe option of sharing the 14-50 that for some reason I did not see anybody suggest...
Basically, if you use the adapters on the end of the Y splitter that make Tesla think it can pull only 20amps from that adapter, then maybe you can have your 20+20 and it will never exceed 40.

For example, looking at Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
there are 14-30, 10-30, and 6-20 adapters. The first two, 80% of 30amps is 24. 24+24 exceeds 40, unfortunately, so this is risky.
However, 6-20 is 20amps, 80% is 16amps, so 16+16 is 32 and is under 40amps max that a 14-50 can sustain.

So, if you have a 14-50 outlet, you may use a splitter
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Female-Li...?srs=9360769011&ie=UTF8&qid=1537333894&sr=8-4
or
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Female-Li...?srs=9360769011&ie=UTF8&qid=1537333894&sr=8-6

and then downgrade each end to 6-20 with a separate adapter. I can't seem to find straight 14-50 to two 6-20s splitter.

Would that work? This is 15mi/hr charging that could be perfectly adequate for many people.

So the EVSE (which in this case is the UMC) sends a signal to the car (called the pilot signal) to tell it the maximum number of amps it is allowed to draw. If we were talking about a Wall Connector you would tell it what signal to send by changing a rotary dial inside be unit.

In the case of the UMC, it knows what kind of circuit it is plugged into by measuring the resistance of a resistor that is built into the 12in adapter. Each adapter has a different resistance value which signals a different current amount allowed.

There is no way for the UMC or the car to detect what the ampacity of the circuit it is connected to is. Basically if it draws too much the breaker will blow and it is game over until it is reset, or maybe the voltage will drop and the car will back off it’s charging rate or give up on charging. While you could consider that a “detection” method it would be a horrible one for quite a few reasons.

But yes, the method described of splitting the connection and then limiting the current draw of each by using the 20a (16a) adapters would be fine. Technically the 12” adapter would only be protected by a 50a breaker which is not great, but the chance of an issue is extremely low (the rest of the UMC is rated to be connected to a 50a circuit).

I should also call out that extension cords for permanent home charging setups are a bad idea and also any splitters and such are additional points of failure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That's probably because I don't see anyone needing to split from a 14-50. If someone already had a 14-50, they would have what they needed to charge the car. What is being discussed was needing to alternate use back and forth between an electric clothes dryer they still want to use and charging the car. So the clothes dryer outlet is either a 14-30 or 10-30, and I don't see the relevance of the 14-50 Y splitters you are linking to.

And since the dryer can be assumed to use all of the current of the circuit when it's running, the car shouldn't be using the circuit at all during that time, so your idea about partially limiting the current of the car charging wouldn't be helpful in these kinds of cases either.

In the case of the UMC, it knows what kind of circuit it is plugged into by measuring the resistance of a resistor that is built into the 12in adapter. Each adapter has a different resistance value which signals a different current amount allowed.
So, if the resistor in the adaptor used on UMC is basically what downgrades the amps pulled from the circuit, then it seems your other wiring don't matter even if it supports 40 amps on each end of the splitter as long as you have the right female adaptors to plug in into.

So, theoretically, someone could request a custom splitter from bsaelectronics that splits 14-50 into 14-30 and 6-20, which is 24amps+16amps for 2 cars.

It seems he already makes something to that effect, even providing 3 outlets option:
Upgrade pak for Electric Range Buddy and RV Buddy on order (waiting for build) to Triple Play

I should also call out that extension cords for permanent home charging setups are a bad idea and also any splitters and such are additional points of failure.
Noted.

That's probably because I don't see anyone needing to split from a 14-50.
That's not true, I think a lot of people are considering such a split, those who are getting a 2nd and 3rd EV (not my case). I thought that's what @drawfour was asking about.

The issue at hand is that they may have their panel at capacity, not just physically, but in terms of load and they may not like to pay $5k to expand service from 200a to 400a.

If someone already had a 14-50, they would have what they needed to charge the car.
1 car, yes. I'm mostly contemplating setups for more than 1.

What is being discussed was needing to alternate use back and forth between an electric clothes dryer they still want to use and charging the car. So the clothes dryer outlet is either a 14-30 or 10-30, and I don't see the relevance of the 14-50 Y splitters you are linking to.
Adding the charging capacity based on dryer curcuit is a valid choice/option. However, your dryer may be far away and you need long extension cord. In this case, splitting existing 14-50 in the garage could be cheaper - just the splitter and no extension cord. Plus no work related to feeding/securing the cord.

And since the dryer can be assumed to use all of the current of the circuit when it's running, the car shouldn't be using the circuit at all during that time, so your idea about partially limiting the current of the car charging wouldn't be helpful in these kinds of cases either.
Agree, but I'm talking about limiting the 14-50 circuit, not the dryer curcuit.
For example, consider a family with 3 Teslas and small capacity panel. They don't have to be filthy rich, maybe they bought 2 used model S for $40k each and are getting a new model 3.
So, maybe they had 14-50 set up for the first one and for the 2nd they used dryer buddy.
I think for the 3rd car you can split 14-50 into 14-30 and 6-20.
Or again, 2 cars, dryer too far, splitting 14-50 is cheaper and better than using 110V.

Last edited:
It seems he already makes something to that effect, even providing 3 outlets option:
Upgrade pak for Electric Range Buddy and RV Buddy on order (waiting for build) to Triple Play
Yeah, this is actually a stock item, don't even need to ask for anything extra. It's 14-50 --> 14-50 + 10-30 and you can have 6-20 add-on with above URL and have it wired to the 14-50 end.
Electric Range Buddy #5 50A NEMA 14-50 2-way splitter, 3.5' 14-50 cable to one 14-50 outlet and one 10-30 outlet with kWh meter

So, as long as you don't use all 3, but either 10-30 + 6-20 or if you're in a hurry just 14-50 for a single car it seems you should be ok. @drawfour - take a look at this and you can confirm with Brad about risks etc. if you email him.

Last edited:
That's not true, I think a lot of people are considering such a split, those who are getting a 2nd and 3rd EV (not my case). I thought that's what @drawfour was asking about.

The issue at hand is that they may have their panel at capacity, not just physically, but in terms of load and they may not like to pay $5k to expand service from 200a to 400a.
For example, consider a family with 3 Teslas and small capacity panel. They don't have to be filthy rich, maybe they bought 2 used model S for $40k each and are getting a new model 3.
So you have a real problem, but there is a proper solution to that, and what you are suggesting with these kludge-y splitters and such is a really bad way to address it. I do get the thing of a small capacity home service. My house has 125A total, so I could go adding a bunch of 60 or 100 amp circuits for extra EVs.

The Tesla wall connectors have dynamic load sharing built into them for this very purpose. So the proper and best response is to not try to plug things into the 14-50 outlet, but to take the outlet off and wire 2 or 3 wall connectors to that 50A circuit. Then the cars can all charge as they need to. They may split the available 40A in 20 and 20 or 10 and 30 or however the cars need it. That is the proper answer that gives you the best charging rates.

Or, you do a real proper code-compliant electrical install, where you have the 50A circuit end in a sub-panel, and you put 6-30 and 6-20 outlets out from that.

So you have a real problem, but there is a proper solution to that, and what you are suggesting with these kludge-y splitters and such is a really bad way to address it. I do get the thing of a small capacity home service. My house has 125A total, so I could go adding a bunch of 60 or 100 amp circuits for extra EVs.

The Tesla wall connectors have dynamic load sharing built into them for this very purpose. So the proper and best response is to not try to plug things into the 14-50 outlet, but to take the outlet off and wire 2 or 3 wall connectors to that 50A circuit. Then the cars can all charge as they need to. They may split the available 40A in 20 and 20 or 10 and 30 or however the cars need it. That is the proper answer that gives you the best charging rates.

Or, you do a real proper code-compliant electrical install, where you have the 50A circuit end in a sub-panel, and you put 6-30 and 6-20 outlets out from that.
I understand words "proper" and "compliant". However, for some of us that translates into thousands of extra dollars not counting HPWC costs.

So, if we're looking at pros and cons:

Pros:
1) 14-50 and/or buddies are cheaper than HPWCs(for some people like me it's a lot cheaper).
2) Buddies may help you get additional charging capacity, for ex, instead of 40amps total you can have 40+24(from the dryer curcuit).
3) No messing with electricians, saving time on dealing with them.
4) Legacy upgrades: if people already invested in one or more 14-50, ripping that off and throwing away is a waste of money, incremental upgrade is cheaper. Well, maybe it's part of #1.

Cons:
1) Not per code, not compliant.
Well, you can unplug the buddy and you're compliant again! You can sell the house and take the buddy with you into the next house! That's another Pro! Wouldn't it be nice to have some fast charging capacity besides 110V as soon as you move in to the new house?
2) Additional connection points in the wire and, supposedly, increased risk of something going wrong there. In general, I agree.
However,
a. I don't know how many connection/soldering points are inside HPWC assembly.
b. There's also this: Current Build Time
I like to thoroughly load/stress test all of my product’s before I ship them. I take pride in crafting a long lasting product for years of enjoyment.
3) I did not understand your sentence about "best charging rates". I don't have the car yet, so not sure how speading the load over different circuits affects the rates.

SO,
there will always be people for whom the Pros you listed will not outweight the Cons.

I don't want to advocate either way, I just think it's important to put all the info out there, so people can see it and decide what's best for them.

Last edited:
My house has 125A total, so I could go adding a bunch of 60 or 100 amp circuits for extra EVs.
Arg. I accidentally mis-typed that. That was supposed to say "couldn't" go adding... That makes quite a difference.

I understand words "proper" and "compliant". However, for some of us that translates into thousands of extra dollars not counting HPWC costs.
It sounds like you're not hearing me because I don't see where you get an idea that this can cost "thousands" of dollars. Upgrading the main service of your house is what costs that. My points are specifically to avoid doing that, which is what you're going for. I am talking about this very thing, of using the existing capacity of a 50A circuit someone already has at the garage properly, without having to do expensive upgrades. There is no "thousands" of dollars.
1) 14-50 and/or buddies are cheaper than HPWCs(for some people like me it's a lot cheaper).
Somewhat cheaper, I'll grant you. Doing a real Clipper Creek 30A and 20A EVSEs would be $379 + $565 = $944. An RV Buddy Plus Auto (or the like) would be $362. So sure, it's a way to save $582 or thereabouts. Except you would also have to buy two adapters from Tesla to those other outlet types, so $582 - $70 for $512. So we're down to discussing the important of savings of 1% of the price of the car.

2) Buddies may help you get additional charging capacity, for ex, instead of 40amps total you can have 40+24(from the dryer curcuit).
I sincerely hope you're kidding about drawing 64 amps from a 50 amp circuit.

3) I did not understand your sentence about "best charging rates". I don't have the car yet, so not sure how speading the load over different circuits affects the rates.
You're talking about splitting things out for multiple cars to a 20A and a 30A outlet type and plugging in the appropriate Tesla adapters into those outlets to limit their current draw to the correct 16A or 24A levels. OK, that's fine, but that means that each car can only draw 16A or 24A, even if the other car is done charging and not drawing anything. So it's stuck with around half of the available capacity being unusable a lot of the time. A dynamic load sharing setup can keep the full 40A in use all the time, shifting it around from car A or car B or split between both, to get more total energy into the cars over the 8-10 hours of nighttime you have. And when you're trying to charge two cars from one 50A circuit, getting the most charging out of it by load sharing is likely to be important. There is some cost tradeoff doing this because dynamic load sharing EVSEs are more expensive than just outlets, but this is a specific advantage that some people might need for charge refilling speed.

It sounds like you're not hearing me because I don't see where you get an idea that this can cost "thousands" of dollars. Upgrading the main service of your house is what costs that. My points are specifically to avoid doing that, which is what you're going for. I am talking about this very thing, of using the existing capacity of a 50A circuit someone already has at the garage properly, without having to do expensive upgrades. There is no "thousands" of dollars.
Well, I guess you did not see my first post in the thread. The first estimate I got was about $2.5k for adding 14-50 and about $4.5k for adding 100amp line for HPWC(s). Part of the cost is that I needed panel re-worked and new subpanel, which immediately adds ~$1,200 in our area.
Then I needed a really long cable, since my panel is on opposite side of the house from where I need the charging installation. The rest, I think, is price gouging.

My 2nd estimate guy was a jerk. I said I was considering both 14-50 and HPWC and would like estimate for both. He said ok and left and wasn't responding. When I followed up about estimates he gave me a bunch of crap and said I have to decide what I want before he gives me the estimate and said he can only estimate 14-50 OR HPWC.
So, considering the first estimate showed me $2k difference, I said fine give me 14-50. After this experience I was scared to ask about HPWC estimate and only asked about 14-50.
However, this is thousands of dollars to me, not sure about you.
What I'll do instead will cost me $700. I agree this is not the case for everybody and for some the difference could be smaller, but still likely $1k, b/c HPWC alone costs $500 and UMC is free.
Expectedly, if you're doing HPWC, you're using a more expensive 60amp or 100amp wire compared to 50amp for 14-50. That's part of the cost difference. Then connecting HPWC itself is also extra time/money.

I sincerely hope you're kidding about drawing 64 amps from a 50 amp circuit.
I never said this. The quote was:
24(from the dryer curcuit).

So, you are limited to 50amp circuit. Somebody who's willing to use the dryer buddy will have additional 30amp circuit available to them.

You're talking about splitting things out for multiple cars to a 20A and a 30A outlet type and plugging in the appropriate Tesla adapters into those outlets to limit their current draw to the correct 16A or 24A levels. OK, that's fine, but that means that each car can only draw 16A or 24A, even if the other car is done charging and not drawing anything. So it's stuck with around half of the available capacity being unusable a lot of the time. A dynamic load sharing setup can keep the full 40A in use all the time, shifting it around from car A or car B or split between both, to get more total energy into the cars over the 8-10 hours of nighttime you have. And when you're trying to charge two cars from one 50A circuit, getting the most charging out of it by load sharing is likely to be important. There is some cost tradeoff doing this because dynamic load sharing EVSEs are more expensive than just outlets, but this is a specific advantage that some people might need for charge refilling speed.
I came to the conclusion that all this dynamic extra and squezzing out the last drop of juice is not that important.

If we're talking daily commute, for most people it's what? 30-50 miles? About 30 for me.
So, if I charge on dryer 30amp circuit and, normally, my car would be parked 12-13 hours - @22 miles per hour, that's 264 miles, practically a full charge if you charge to 80-90%.

Lets say somebody splits 14-50 into 20 and 30 amps. And they keep driving to shopping and kids classes and only have 8 hours to sleep.

Well, 20amps gives you 15*8=120 miles,
30amps gives you 22*8=176 miles.
I think this will be plenty for most people.
Keep in mind that if you did the splitting with the version of the buddy I referenced, it actually has 3 outlets, one of which is 14-50, which gives you an option to charge one car out of 2 super fast, assuming the other car has enough juice or can use 110V. But in reality, maybe you'll do this once a year. If you terminated your 50amp in subpanel and split properly into 20+30, will you still have this 40amp option?
If people don't split 14-50, then maybe they have full 40amps and 24amps from their dryer buddy.
So, if you have 2 or 3 of these options - 16amps, 24amps, 40 amps - I think you know which of your cars have longer commute and assign them a higher capacity outlet on the permanent basis.
This will reduce the need for any dynamic last squeeze of juice to near zero. And again, you likely have full 40amps available for emergencies.

Last edited:
This works fine if your multiple cars are all Teslas. If they are not (say a Bolt or a Leaf), then you can't use the HPWC load sharing. That's why I went with NEMA 14-50. If my wife gets an EV, it will either be a plugin hybrid (Prius Prime), or a Leaf/Bolt, and unlikely to be a Tesla. So I wanted an outlet that can also be used for that. So I would want some kind of a smart splitter to let me set either my Tesla or her car as the primary, and the secondary one can just pull when the primary is not in use.

Well, I guess you did not see my first post in the thread.
I did. Here's what it said:
So, I've got couple of quotes to the tune of $4K+ for hpwc and ~$2K for 14-50.

That is a different question than talking about getting a quote for a 50A circuit versus a 100A circuit. A 50A circuit can be done as a 14-50 outlet or wall connector and there wouldn't be much cost difference. And since your last several comments were about how to split up a 50A circuit for multiple cars, that seemed to be the topic of how to do that appropriately.

Expectedly, if you're doing HPWC, you're using a more expensive 60amp or 100amp wire compared to 50amp for 14-50.
No, that's not a given. Why do so many people have that assumption? I'm going to be changing out my 14-50 outlet for a wall connector on the same 50A circuit pretty soon. Wall connectors can be on many different circuit levels; they don't require a high amp circuit. And sharing for multiple vehicles is one of the obvious advantages they have to get the best use out of a lower power circuit.

Anyway, yes, I see that in your first message you were talking about getting price quotes and deciding between a 50A or 100A installation, and as I said, yes, that obviously has huge cost differences. I was just responding to the later question about better ways to use a 50A circuit for multiple cars.