Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few question from new buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
Currently I own S85 APZERO lol I purchased a while ago used from Tesla, now time to upgrade my wife from Nissan to Model 3.
1. Can we buy our leased Model 3s once lease is up?
2. Can we buy AP after we leased the vehicle?
3. What included, in terms of safety features, if I don't buy AP ?
4. Can we upgrade range by purchasing any upgrades?
5. Does standard range come with subwoofer?
6. I don't want to spend too much on it and lease it, just trying to figure out lease is best or buy used from Tesla?
I own 14 S85 with no any AP or extra features, so trying to figure out if it worth it

Hey everyone,
Currently I own S85 APZERO lol I purchased a while ago used from Tesla, now time to upgrade my wife from Nissan to Model 3.
1. Can we buy our leased Model 3s once lease is up?
2. Can we buy AP after we leased the vehicle?
3. What included, in terms of safety features, if I don't buy AP ?
4. Can we upgrade range by purchasing any upgrades?
5. Does standard range come with subwoofer?
6. I don't want to spend too much on it and lease it, just trying to figure out lease is best or buy used from Tesla?
I own 14 S85 with no any AP or extra features, so trying to figure out if it worth it
1. No
2. Autopilot is included with the car.
3. Included.
4. No
5. No
6. My opinion / used long range. You’ll love it.

We have both a 3 and X. I love them both but for different reasons. I like to say the X is a cruiser - comfortable, drives great, carries a ton of stuff. But the 3 is a car you wear. It’s a small sports sedan that drives like a ton of fun.

Would definitely recommend a test drive — they’re different enough from an S that you’ll want to experience it before buying.

Also, does standard range come with all the options as long range (minus range), for example auto trunk?
Model 3 | Tesla

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.35.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.35.21 AM.png

1. No
2. Autopilot is included with the car.
3. Included.
4. No
5. No
6. My opinion / used long range. You’ll love it.

We have both a 3 and X. I love them both but for different reasons. I like to say the X is a cruiser - comfortable, drives great, carries a ton of stuff. But the 3 is a car you wear. It’s a small sports sedan that drives like a ton of fun.

Would definitely recommend a test drive — they’re different enough from an S that you’ll want to experience it before buying.

Oh, sorry, I'm confused lol I didn't mean autopilot that is included with all teslas, I meant full self driving, sorry about that
Can't edit my original post :(

Oh, sorry, I'm confused lol I didn't mean autopilot that is included with all teslas, I meant full self driving, sorry about that
Can't edit my original post :(

Haha no worries!

So here is the best description going of what's in each package:
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

As far as *safety* features... none are in the FSD package. Those are always included in the vehicle itself. And yes, you can definitely buy it anytime after buying the car. Right now, it's $10,000. Will that change in the future? Probably - but more likely up and not down... but to try to predict what Tesla will do is a fool's errand.

Haha no worries!

So here is the best description going of what's in each package:
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

As far as *safety* features... none are in the FSD package. Those are always included in the vehicle itself. And yes, you can definitely buy it anytime after buying the car. Right now, it's $10,000. Will that change in the future? Probably - but more likely up and not down... but to try to predict what Tesla will do is a fool's errand.
good to know, thanks for all the info, I was worried I had to buy $10k fsd in order to get safety features, this is going to be my wife's car so I want it to be as safe as possible, maybe I'll get FSD later on... now time to figure out what we want, SR+ with FSD but shorter range, or LR but without FSD but with more usable range... or get both range and fsd and buy used... hmmmm I might just get LR without FSD, already scheduled overnight test drive this Wednesday, so we will see how it goes

good to know, thanks for all the info, I was worried I had to buy $10k fsd in order to get safety features, this is going to be my wife's car so I want it to be as safe as possible, maybe I'll get FSD later on... now time to figure out what we want, SR+ with FSD but shorter range, or LR but without FSD but with more usable range... or get both range and fsd and buy used... hmmmm I might just get LR without FSD, already scheduled overnight test drive this Wednesday, so we will see how it goes

To me, LR without FSD is the way to fly. You can always add FSD later with the click of a button. Can’t turn an SR+ Into an LR no matter how many clicks you make.

Enjoy the test drive and I’m going to apologize on your wallet’s behalf now. You’re gonna love that LR AWD and won’t be able to stop thinking about it.

I originally had an SR+ on order, but they couldn't get it to me before the end of the tax rebate deadline, so I switched to a LR AWD that was in inventory. I never got to even test drive an SR+ because all they had were LR AWD testers.

Now I really want to drive an SR+ to see just how horrible it is since everyone is saying to go with a used LR AWD over a new SR+!

Last edited:
Now I really want to drive an SR+ to see just how horrible it is since everyone is saying to go with a used LR AWD over a new SR+!

I only test drove an LR Model 3 before I got my SR+ - and I love my car. A lot of your opinion will come from what you are used to before you pop your Tesla cherry...for a lot of people, ANY trim of Model 3 is going to be a massive upgrade. Would the added range be nice? For sure...but for $9k less the SR+ met my family's driving needs just fine. Depends what your are looking for in the end...if AWD is critical to you...or you really need that added range, then go for it. Personally, I found a lot of other things I could use $9k for haha

Get the long range dual motor. The performance has much more fragile wheels and it's acceleration may make you pass out. Remember your range is going to deteriorate I'm guessing 10-20% in the 8 year warranty period. Using the useful 80% of the 263 yields 210 m. 80% of 353 is 283 m. A 10% degradation brings those 80% comparisons down to 190 vs, 253. Range is king.

I originally had an SR+ on order, but they couldn't get it to me before the end of the tax rebate deadline, so I switched to a LR AWD that was in inventory. I never got to even test drive an SR+ because all they had were LR AWD testers.

Ha Ha. You have the best car, certainly better than the SR+. Drive on with no regrets.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ