Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few questions from a new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of the Y today and coming from a BMW world I had couple questions.
1. The car comes with 1 year premium connectivity subscription. How do I enable it in the car and what is it good for?
2. Can I play movies while in motion? My kids enjoyed that feature in the BMW on longer road trips and I would like to make it possible for them.
3. Can the car be used as a hot spot?
4. Any cool features I should know about?

Thank you in advance.

#1 The connection is really for the car and the apps you can use on the screen. It is not a hotspot that you can connect to
#2 Nope, not possible. I guess this is because the screen is in the front and could distract the driver?
#3 No
#4 You can make it fart ;) but seriously there are tons on features, enjoy your MY!

#1 The connection is really for the car and the apps you can use on the screen. It is not a hotspot that you can connect to
#2 Nope, not possible. I guess this is because the screen is in the front and could distract the driver?
#3 No
#4 You can make it fart ;) but seriously there are tons on features, enjoy your MY!

Lol thanks. What about Wifi connectivity and streaming from youtube?

Lol thanks. What about Wifi connectivity and streaming from youtube?

You can connect up to Wifi and it's independent from Premium Connectivity. Wifi is required for software updates, so I would recommend connecting the car to your home internet to receive regular updates (about every two weeks now for the Model Y).

You can use YouTube, while the car is parked, from the LTE (Premium Connectivity) connection or Wifi.

1. The car comes with 1 year premium connectivity subscription. How do I enable it in the car and what is it good for?

I got an email from Tesla as soon as delivery was complete, describing what premium connectivity gives, that standard connectivity does not. Did you? My email lists:

- live traffic visualization
- satellite-view maps

plus the following four things, when there's no wi-fi available (standard connectivity gives these but only when wi-fi is available):

- video streaming
- caraoke
- music streaming
- internet browser

it is legally forbidden to stream videos on the mail screen when the car is moving. So technically possible but legally not possible. Usually rear seats screen or dedicated passenger side screen is not restricted but this screen is considered as the main control panel.

it is legally forbidden to stream videos on the mail screen when the car is moving. So technically possible but legally not possible. Usually rear seats screen or dedicated passenger side screen is not restricted but this screen is considered as the main control panel.
What @PedramGh is correct. It is not legal in the US to do this. While the kids may like it, as soon as there would be an accident because the driver was watching a movie, it would hit the news outlets and haters faster than a Roadster with Plaid Mode. I would recommend a secondary device in the kid's hands to do that.

As far as I know, the only streaming of video you can do is while in park. That said, there was a video a while back that showed two people in a MS (I think) watching a SpaceX launch while driving. I believe they used the in car web browser and pulled up a video stream over the web. I am pretty sure you can still use the browser while driving.