Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey there,

Considering a purchase. Few basic questions.

1) does anyone think the HPWC is a worth it? I know it just came down in price, but to get the full benefit, one should order the upgraded charger in the car. So, one gets about 25 miles per charge using regular 14-50 outlet. What is the approx charge rate for HPWC with upgraded charged? Do people have real life numbers for both? Personal experience??

2) LTE available for maps, etc. currently no charge. Provided by AT&T? Is there a plan to charge in the future? Also, does the infotainment system have Pandora or Spotify built in? Thus no data issues?

If I order, I'm waiting for a December deliver. I'll let a years worth of kinks to smooth out.

Thanks for your help! I've been enjoying learning from you guys/gals.

I think the HPWC is worth it. A number of times per year we want a relatively fast turnaround to leave for a trip in the evening, after having used the car all day. Charging in our garage at a faster rate is welcome. Also, nearly every time we've charged on an HPWC via Plugshare, we've been able to find an 80 amp one, which makes non-Supercharging charging while traveling faster and more convenient.

We also like that the cable on the HPWC is more robust than the UMC and that we can leave the mobile charger in the trunk all the time. It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that they've shortened the cable length of the HPWC with the new release. I do think, however, that the intelligent HPWC feature that allows daisy chaining the HPWCs so that they can all operate off of single circuit is very cool.

There is currently no charge for the data used by the car. Tesla has specified a time limit (five years? not sure) after which they may begin charging. Honestly, I don't think it's on Tesla's radar right now. They're too busy worrying about other things.

There's "Slacker Radio" and "Tune-In," which are analogous to Pandora and Spotify. There's plenty of information on the forum, and elsewhere online, about what they offer.

We also like that the cable on the HPWC is more robust than the UMC and that we can leave the mobile charger in the trunk all the time. It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that they've shortened the cable length of the HPWC with the new release. I do think, however, that the intelligent HPWC feature that allows daisy chaining the HPWCs so that they can all operate off of single circuit is very cool.

There are two versions, one with a 8.5' cord and the other with a 24' cord. In Canada, the 24' model is $50 more.

Personally, I decided not to get one, but it depends on your driving habits and how accessible your superchargers are.

For me, it is extraordinarily rare to drive more than 200 miles in a single day.
Therefore, 99% of the time, an overnight charge from a 14-50 outlet will completely fill the battery.

It is also rare for me to need a fast turn-around. I am fortunate to have a supercharger within 20 minutes of my house and another within 20 minutes of my workplace, so if I DO need a fast turn-around, then I'll just use a supercharger.

Personally, I decided not to get one, but it depends on your driving habits and how accessible your superchargers are.

For me, it is extraordinarily rare to drive more than 200 miles in a single day.
Therefore, 99% of the time, an overnight charge from a 14-50 outlet will completely fill the battery.

It is also rare for me to need a fast turn-around. I am fortunate to have a supercharger within 20 minutes of my house and another within 20 minutes of my workplace, so if I DO need a fast turn-around, then I'll just use a supercharger.

Exactly same scenario for me, except I am choosing to get 2 HPWC on same 100A circuit for my 48A standard X charger. For $500 each, I can avoid daily fiddling with the packaged UMC cord. Oh, the 2nd one will be for a Model 3 in 2ish years (same circuit simultaneous 40ish Amp charging) and 50% state tax rebates expire before then. If your state has such rebates for installed EV hardware, it's an easy decision. I should have lead with that I suppose.

I also decided against getting one. In all honesty, I charge maybe every 2-3 days to top it off. And at 28mi/hr with the single charger it's more than enough time to top off from near empty overnight. If I needed a fast charge-up I would most likely be ready to go on a trip and would utilize the SC network. I'm traveling in CA now and have used quite a few while here. So easy.

As for the cell network, no plans to charge for that. And Slacker is great. Once you start customizing the stations they are really good! Lots of music I've downloaded after hearing them first on Slacker. And you get I believe a year of a special 'Tesla' group of options for Slacker when you get the car.

I would really consider whether or not you'll need the HPWC. I certainly wouldn't have a use for it, and the money I saved went toward installing the NEMA 14-50 plug in my home. Best of luck!