Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was behind a 500e for several blocks and noticed that its charge port door was open and it was happily driving along with what seemed like a dunk tank target along side. I was surprised that you could drive with that open, but I guess just like an ICE, they don't bother to complain.

There do seem to me more 500e vs other ICE versions around the S.F. area. The 500e looks quite cool, often in orange trim.

I now have a second EV! I leased a Fiat 500e a month ago and it's been a great experience.

I'm skeptical of everything, but those crazy low lease rates for the Fiat 500e advertised everywhere were very enticing and there were no surprises at the dealer. It's almost a free car: $2500 down is cancelled out by the CA rebate. My lease payment is $91/mo, including tax. There is a $400 end-of-lease fee, so amortized that means I'm paying $102/mo, and that's for 12k miles per year on the lease (It would have been $11 less per month for just 10k miles).

The car is VERY fun to drive, and the range is a pretty close to 100 miles (1% = 1 mile) with a gentle touch. It is possible for an adult to sit in the back, but it's a squeeze. The interior is nice, and it even comes with a crappy nav system.

The Tesla sits in the garage a lot more than it used to. Sure, the Fiat is just a go-kart and has its limitations, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of bang for the buck.

I now have a second EV! I leased a Fiat 500e a month ago and it's been a great experience.

I'm skeptical of everything, but those crazy low lease rates for the Fiat 500e advertised everywhere were very enticing and there were no surprises at the dealer. It's almost a free car: $2500 down is cancelled out by the CA rebate. My lease payment is $91/mo, including tax. There is a $400 end-of-lease fee, so amortized that means I'm paying $102/mo, and that's for 12k miles per year on the lease (It would have been $11 less per month for just 10k miles).

The car is VERY fun to drive, and the range is a pretty close to 100 miles (1% = 1 mile) with a gentle touch. It is possible for an adult to sit in the back, but it's a squeeze. The interior is nice, and it even comes with a crappy nav system.

The Tesla sits in the garage a lot more than it used to. Sure, the Fiat is just a go-kart and has its limitations, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of bang for the buck.
It is certainly a fun car and a great price. They just look so small when I think of it being hit by a larger car I cringe at the thought.

Am thinking of buying fiat 500/e
Does it have problems... Issues....
Small things here and there are OK but am talking major things I should be aware of

I've only had mine a month but zero problems so far. I know the early cars had some issues with the 12v battery and there was a recall, but that seems to be a thing of the past. I know three other people with a 500e (one for almost 3 years) and they haven't had any significant problems other than that initial recall.

I haven't even had minor issues with it, but it could be too soon to tell. I recommend a test drive because it's not for everyone. The biggest issue is the size (pun intended), but that's part of the fun.

the 500e is a coin toss, some people have been trouble free, other have had nothing but issues. the year after i got mine it was plagued with software problems. there is someone on the 500e google+ page who imported to another country and could not drive because of a software issue. only way to fix was to take to a dealership...

A friend of mine's boyfriend picked up a 500e last week and drove it home. With ten miles on the odometer the key became stuck in the ignition and he could no longer select PRNDL. The car was towed back to the dealer and he was given a hoary gas 500 to drive around. They're estimating a month to get the part(s).

The 500e is an American clone of an Italian car assembled in Mexico and then fitted with Bosch EV running gear. It seems to be a total crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get a good one and the parent company FCA has been extremely vocal that they have no interest in the product and only produce them to meet the legal requirement.

On top of what others have said, there have been formal recalls.
1. The liquid cooling for the power inverter module was not sealed properly and the leaking coolant shorted things out, blowing the HVDC fuse.
2. CV bolts were not replaced with new ones with proper threadlocker during rework in the factory. Several cars lost motive power because the half shafts literally fell off.
3. More than one recall for software problems that could lead to loss of motive power.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

We are coming up pretty fast on the 3 year anniversary of the first leasing of these guys for $99 per month or less. Mrs. Toe got in on the end of that, not the start. I'm assuming that most people who leased these will not actually buy the car because of the pretty high residual that would be owed. In that case, what is going to happen with all the cars that get returned after the leases are up?

RT

We are coming up pretty fast on the 3 year anniversary of the first leasing of these guys for $99 per month or less. Mrs. Toe got in on the end of that, not the start. I'm assuming that most people who leased these will not actually buy the car because of the pretty high residual that would be owed. In that case, what is going to happen with all the cars that get returned after the leases are up?

RT

per the fiat 500e google group, the cars have been going to auction. fiat dealers are not even interested in getting the cars back, personal experience.

Which means, like Leafs coming off lease, they'll probably be available for pretty cheap, possibly cheaper than if you'd tried to buy out your own lease.
The way that Fiat structured the leases to get the monthly price down, this will definitely be the case. Used car dealers will have these cheaper than the residuals. FCA will eat the difference between the auction price and the residual. Nissan was negotiating down the residuals for lessees to buy out their own car, but many other automakers don't. Toyota, for example, never negotiates residuals. So, there are some RAV4 EV lessees that are buying cars on the open market and returning their lease. Personally, I would rather have a car that I was familiar with if the extra cost wasn't too much.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
You can buy almost any of the off-lease low-range EVs for practically nothing. Gas savings in 1 - 3 years will often cover the entire price of the car. The KBB price is around $6,000 for a 3-yr old 33k mi 500e. You can buy a Ford Focus Electric of the same age and mileage for about $8,000 and Leafs are $10k to 13k. Hard to beat these deals.

You can buy almost any of the off-lease low-range EVs for practically nothing. Gas savings in 1 - 3 years will often cover the entire price of the car. The KBB price is around $6,000 for a 3-yr old 33k mi 500e. You can buy a Ford Focus Electric of the same age and mileage for about $8,000 and Leafs are $10k to 13k. Hard to beat these deals.
I checked the local Craigslist to see what showed up and the lowest price they had listed is a 2013 model with 47000 miles for $6700. As far as I can tell, all the listings are from car lots. The high was $11988 for 2015 model with 8700 miles.

I drove a Smart ED for 3 years. No fears or worries. Educated people do not worry or fear anything.
Actually, I am educated. And I had a stepchild killed in a Toyota Echo where the other driver in a midsize got up and walked away. Small car deaths are real, and generally not worth the few dollars saved. The Fiat 500 has some of the worst crash tests ever.