Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the Leaf, Fiat and Ford Fusion EV's the other day. Fiat too small, poor crash test ratings, Leaf very nice overall, Ford was very nice as well. Right now there is an addition $6,000 off on the Ford in California, making it $19,000 after rebates and it is more luxurious than the Leaf. But if we do buy my wife an EV soon, I think we have to go with the Nissan. They deserve the support for having the confidence to push EV's forward. I'm a buy, not lease kinda' guy.

Don't buy a 500e! Fiat CEO: Fiat Loses $14,000 On Every 500e Sold

I know that this car is currently only sold in CA. That said, does one have to be a CA resident to buy one? That is, has anyone outside of CA brought one and had it shipped to their state?

possibly? my mother, who lives in michigan, said she saw a 500e driving around in detroit. i asked if it was a dealer car and she said she did not notice dealer plates...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/66-fiat-500e/49098-california-vs-out-state-vs-out-country.html
4 people claim to be out of state... and 1 interesting post regarding state of residence.

I know that this car is currently only sold in CA. That said, does one have to be a CA resident to buy one? That is, has anyone outside of CA brought one and had it shipped to their state?
Back in January I phoned FIAT USA to find out and they said there are no restrictions. This was after a dealer said the requirements are a California driver's license and own property in California. The car was for my wife and we own property but have an out of state DL so no go with that dealer. (PM me if you want to know who to avoid) FIAT USA only warned that service was only available in California but anyone could buy it. I understand there are 500e owners in Oregon and Washington state

@jerjozwik: Thanks for the link to the Fiat forum thread. It was an interesting read. It confirmed what I suspected about Fiat dealers not selling to out of state residents

@Zapped: The lack of service is a BIG concern for me. I know that theoretically EVs are suppose to need little service. But it doesn't mean no service. Although I think the 500e is an interesting car in the currently available EV offerings, I'm forced to look elsewhere for another alternative.

I was thinking about a Fiat 500e as a second EV. But IIHS crash tests shows the Fiat 500e and the Fit EV as worse chance of survival in a 1/4 overlap head-on of all "mini-cars". This is a common crash where in an attempt to avoid a head-on, the driver swerves hit at the headlight area. The videos will freak you out. The better EV's in this test are the Spark and the Leaf is best (outside of Tesla of course).

Fiat, Spark, and Fit here: Safety ratings

Nissan Leaf here: Vehicle details

Just saw my first Spark on the street. Really not bad looking at all. It is not quite as adorable as a 500e, but WAY more appealing than a Leaf, to me.

Thing is I really need seating for 5. No rush here, I think I will wait on the higher range Leaf in a couple of years or better yet, the Nissan NV200 EV van would be perfect! Great for carrying surfboards as well!

I love the look of the 500e. I drove a Spark and it really felt as if I'd get hurt very badly if I hit something, or something hit me.

I love the look of the Fiat 500e but this is why nobody in my family will be getting one: 2013 Fiat 500 small overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube . The Fiat 500 and Honda Fit are IIHS picks for least safe cars in the USA today.

Ouch, here is the Spark: 2013 Chevrolet Spark small overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube

The Leaf, while ugly, is much safer. The LEAF is an IIHS top safety pick. Nissan Leaf moderate overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube

After cancers and leukemia's taking their toll in my family, there is not much we can control. But one thing I can control is the safety of my family while on the road.

I love the look of the Fiat 500e but this is why nobody in my family will be getting one: 2013 Fiat 500 small overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube . The Fiat 500 and Honda Fit are IIHS picks for least safe cars in the USA today.

Ouch, here is the Spark: 2013 Chevrolet Spark small overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube

The Leaf, while ugly, is much safer. The LEAF is an IIHS top safety pick. Nissan Leaf moderate overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube

The Leaf has yet to undergo the small overlap crash test. You can't really compared the small overlap tests of the Spark and Fiat to the moderate overlap test of the Leaf. Here's the Spark Moderate overlap test: 2013 Chevrolet Spark moderate overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube and the Fiat moderate overlap: test: CRASH TEST IIHS: 2012 Fiat 500 USA Moderate Overlap Test (Overall evaluation: Good) - YouTube As you can see, the 500 does well on the moderate overlap test.

The Leaf has yet to undergo the small overlap crash test. You can't really compared the small overlap tests of the Spark and Fiat to the moderate overlap test of the Leaf. Here's the Spark Moderate overlap test: 2013 Chevrolet Spark moderate overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube and the Fiat moderate overlap: test: CRASH TEST IIHS: 2012 Fiat 500 USA Moderate Overlap Test (Overall evaluation: Good) - YouTube As you can see, the 500 does well on the moderate overlap test.

Thank you fengshui, I see your point, thank you for the links. Either way though I'm waiting for a safe EV, I can't afford another S so I may have to wait for Gen III or maybe the new Leaf that is to come in a couple of years.

Thank you fengshui, I see your point, thank you for the links. Either way though I'm waiting for a safe EV, I can't afford another S so I may have to wait for Gen III or maybe the new Leaf that is to come in a couple of years.

The Ford Focus Electric is a pretty safe car. Only gets acceptable in the small overlap. But overall is safer than the ICE Focus according to safercar.gov.

My wife is in love with the FIAT 500e and we finally bought one after 8 months on the fence.
Marilyn + FIAT 500e.jpg

Keeping the white interior clean might be a problem but I suppose the colors are what makes the car unique.
I was somewhat surprised the first time I got in the car with sitting up higher-straighter than most compacts.
We'll drive this until the TESLA Model 3 comes out in a few years and then see.