Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fighting a Service Charge...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

I scheduled my due bill service appointment for a used model S I bought recently. While I waited for the appointment, I got two new problems:

1. 3G disconnects from the car until a reboot or the 2nd or 3rd drive.

2. Car may not restart, schedule service error, multiple times.

I posted here and confirmed Tesla shouldn't be charging me anything for service while I'm under warranty. Yet, today I got a text for my service center giving me an estimate to approve with two ~$97 entries for 3G issue and Car may not restart error. Mind you, they never called me or wrote to me with any results or fixes...

Question: Can you offer advice to fight these charges? Are these valid? Thanks!

I've had this happen, they send me an estimate and tell me to approve to continue the work. I have had to clearly explain to them that I have warranty, and even then they tell me my car is no longer under warranty. The first 2 visits, they were scratching their heads when I explained I purchased it used from Tesla with the 4yr/50k warranty. There is(or was) some sort of disconnect between Tesla HQ/warranty and the service centers.

Once the question of warranty is resolve, now I have to worry about them claiming issues are now warrantiable or considered normal/normal wear and tear. This is what I was told regarding my most recent visit.

I've had this happen, they send me an estimate and tell me to approve to continue the work. I have had to clearly explain to them that I have warranty, and even then they tell me my car is no longer under warranty. The first 2 visits, they were scratching their heads when I explained I purchased it used from Tesla with the 4yr/50k warranty. There is(or was) some sort of disconnect between Tesla HQ/warranty and the service centers.

Once the question of warranty is resolve, now I have to worry about them claiming issues are now warrantiable or considered normal/normal wear and tear. This is what I was told regarding my most recent visit.
I had an identical experience of Tesla service not recognizing that I purchased from Tesla and still have another 4 years. They then opted to say there is a deductible with these warranties. That was another argument which they quickly gave up on. It's like they are on commision or something.

My high voltage distribution box went and took out the battery cables a few month after I bought my used S direct from Tesla. Likewise the warranty didn't come up in the system and I got a text to discuss payment plans for repair. I called back and told them about warranty. They fixed it and placed repair on the battery warranty since the used car warranty still wasn't fixed yet. I took it in again last week at month 8 for a couple of minor fixes that were supposed to be done at time of purchase (5x appts that didn't happen for various Tesla reasons, No shows app crash, no confirmation etc) and to get uncorked and all items were listed as goodwill so I still don't know if the used car warranty is activated.

If they don't find an issue, they may charge you for their time. More than likely they should be able to find/fix the issues.

I hope not Danny... I called them to please run the remote diagnostic so I can have peace of mind when driving the car in as it threw the "Car may not restart, schedule service" error. Additionally, my Summon keeps breaking from my garage. NONE of these issues they came back with any word on... So why exactly are they charging me?

Thanks for sharing your experience, Zishan. Did you end up being charged or not? I hope not man...

I had an identical experience of Tesla service not recognizing that I purchased from Tesla and still have another 4 years. They then opted to say there is a deductible with these warranties. That was another argument which they quickly gave up on. It's like they are on commision or something.

Another alarming experience. I'd think they know I have warranty since 90% of my items are from the due bill... I guess we'll find out tomorrow... :-(

My high voltage distribution box went and took out the battery cables a few month after I bought my used S direct from Tesla. Likewise the warranty didn't come up in the system and I got a text to discuss payment plans for repair. I called back and told them about warranty. They fixed it and placed repair on the battery warranty since the used car warranty still wasn't fixed yet. I took it in again last week at month 8 for a couple of minor fixes that were supposed to be done at time of purchase (5x appts that didn't happen for various Tesla reasons, No shows app crash, no confirmation etc) and to get uncorked and all items were listed as goodwill so I still don't know if the used car warranty is activated.

Thank you for sharing... Another experience that points to a lottery experience... I don't know whether to be worried or not right now... Wish me luck guys! :)

@Fragger, I see you are in Texas. If you are by chance in DFW area, do whatever you can to avoid Plano Service Center. It's full of incompetent liars. I went there once, I was lied to my face by the guy checking cars in for service and a service tech too. In comparison, Cedars Service Center was completely opposite. Professional and knowledgeable staff.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
HA. my old car that i purchased from tesla with warranty, i took it in for some warranty work and they did the same thing to me too.. told me i needed to pay even though I had warranty.

what if they try to catch people not knowing that they have warranty so they can charge them up the yingyang for repairs, because it seems like they act so dumb but drop it real quick when you tell them used teslas carry a 4 year 50k mile warranty. i wouldn't put it past them, tesla service sucks.

@Fragger, I see you are in Texas. If you are by chance in DFW area, do whatever you can to avoid Plano Service Center. It's full of incompetent liars. I went there once, I was lied to my face by the guy checking cars in for service and a service tech too. In comparison, Cedars Service Center was completely opposite. Professional and knowledgeable staff.

Hi cucubits... I'm (thankfully?) not in the Dallas area though I picked my car up from the Ceders location...

HA. my old car that i purchased from tesla with warranty, i took it in for some warranty work and they did the same thing to me too.. told me i needed to pay even though I had warranty.

what if they try to catch people not knowing that they have warranty so they can charge them up the yingyang for repairs, because it seems like they act so dumb but drop it real quick when you tell them used teslas carry a 4 year 50k mile warranty. i wouldn't put it past them, tesla service sucks.

Man that's sad... Did you end up paying anything?

I get the same bills every time I take my car to service or have mobile come. For instance. I had. Door hand that would not present. In fact wouldn’t present and the gear inside it ran non stop for almost 6 days. I had video and pics I attached to my service request. I also got a $75 potential bill.

while it can be alarming because we bought these cars whether new or used almost all car places have the same thing in place. We just usually don’t know because 9/10 we end up having whatever it is repaired.

Tesla doing this is actually quite a good thing for many of us. Back in the old days people would bring their cars in for crap stuff. Tesla would spend days trying to make the sound reappear. They couldn’t again. So..:if they tell people ok we’ll look but it’s going to cost you x to look and if we find nothing you pay most will back away. In your case.

my recommendations are...if you have the date and time (I believe it has to be within 7 days) of when the car tossed an alert they can find it. Remotely or again when you bring it in. Always snap a pic that way it can be attached to the repair request when you schedule the repair.

all this to say. If you really are having an issuendont Worry about any fees.

Mine was just in and the bill over the app was $1500.00 for:

Warped front rotors
Sunroof that needed track lubed
Battery terminal that needed tightened.

And an alignment which I expected to pay for.

So, after a conversation face to face with my service guy, I ended up paying for the alignment only.