TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Figured Ash? Anyone got pics?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by MrBoylan, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

So the last detail we haven't quite decided yet is wood accent. Has anyone actually seen the figured ash? If so, got pics? This is what it looks like in the Design Studio (top pic is figured ash, bottom is matte obeche, both just slightly lightened), but I was hoping for some real pics if anyone has them. I think this is new on the Model X as the stores don't have samples of figured ash yet. I'm leaning toward the figured ash as I like how it stands out more against the black.

Thanks!

model X black leather, black headliner with figured ash.jpg

model X black leather, black headliner with matte obeche.jpg

2. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

3. ModelX

ModelX Member

It is beautiful! I went with obeche matte, but that tempts me to change!

4. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

They're both really nice. Probably not worth the $500 change fee. Hoping to click that Order button tonight. I already missed my chance to lock it in last week before the latest batch of invites. But we weren't quite ready then.

5. David29

David29 Member

#5 David29, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Wood looks nice! I think it is unfortunate, though, that the material on the top of the dash cannot be a lighter color, like the lower part of the dash, that would go better with the wood. Maybe someday in the future when the model line matures a bit....

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I was hoping for the piano black trim, I have it on the S and like the clean look and on the X it would match the black on the back of the seats. I will need to see the trim offered for the X before I can make a decision.

7. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Stores have Obeche Matte, Obeche Gloss and Carbon Fiber samples (all carryover from the S), but not dark ash or figured ash. Dark ash looks similar to piano black, but with some visible grain. I personally didn't much care for carbon fiber when I saw it on the sample block but it does look pretty high tech in an actual car.

But I'm wondering why they decided not to offer grey leather. I think this would have been our choice over black, had it been offered.

8. David29

David29 Member

Me, too. We have grey in our Model S and love it. I hope the lack of it in the X does not indicate a problem with quality or color durability or something...maybe it is a perceived lack of demand and they are keeping the option list short at the start to simplify production, as they have done in the past.

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Now that there are some signs out there wondering if someone could show pictures of the Dark Ash and Figured Ash trim.

10. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Mark Templeton's blue sig has black leather with figured ash. So you can catch a glimpse of it in his pics and videos. Here's one:

iCloud Photo Sharing

And here's one pic:

iCloud Photo Sharing

From there you can hit the left/right arrows to browse through his pics and videos.

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks Chris, unfortunately it is very hard to tell from those pictures what figured ash really looks like. I'm concerned it will look cheap and fake. Probably going to have to wait for the show room to get a sample or a car with this trim.

12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

#12 goneskiian, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    There's a great view of the Figured Ash in this video...

13. MaxK

MaxK Member

I have figured ash. See if my videos help.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD6GsnqpkqaDGgG48PrczMQ

14. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks Max, just a bit dark to really see. What is your thought on how the figured ash looks.