Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Figuring out if vehicle has FUSC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I’m talking to a dealer that traded in a 2017 model S from the original owner. It has a manufacturing date of 3/17 on the door.

They can’t get in touch with the original owner and can’t add the car to their account because they don’t sell Teslas and haven’t set one up.

We drove over to a supercharger and it charged for free with this on the screen:
AB1E9515-8BFA-4CF2-9234-F8C33E5A3438.jpeg

Can anyone confirm if there is anything else I can check to be more certain it has free supercharging?

This one is really borderline and difficult to say. The build date and original delivery date is such that it could be a car where supercharging will transfer, but the other detail is the had to be ordered prior to Jan 15, 2017 for the supercharging benefit to transfer with the life of the car. So you can two cars built on this exact same date, delivered on the same date, but one ordered in Dec 2016 and one orders on Jan 21, 2017 and you'd find supercharging transfers with the first car but not the second car.

So while the charging screen shows the car currently has free supercharging, this doesn't say that will transfer when the ownership record is change in Tesla's system.

The only way I know to determine this for certain is you need to know the option codes. Unfortunately it will not show you that in the car, and while option codes can be retrieved by the API data calls, these do not seem accurate anymore as what's returned appear to be a 'generic' set of codes (the API reply would imply my mid-2016 MS90D is a Model 3!). The only way I know to find the option codes on a car is to go into the owner account online, click on the image of the car, and then past the URL into a document as a text string. You'll see it contains all the codes. However, if you don't have access to the car via an owner account, then you're still stuck with an indeterminate situation.

I don't know if you've tried contacting a Tesla service center to ask them? That's a long shot as in general most typically you'll hear that they will not give out any information if you're not currently the owner. Maybe the dealer might have more success in contacting them, explain they are just trying to be honest in representing the car to prospective buyers, and they want the new owner to be satisfied with their purchase of a Tesla. As I said, it's a long shot, but just maybe they'll find a sympathetic service advisor that willing to help do the right thing.

The magic option code you need to find is SC01.

Good luck!

Reactions: splffgates
This one is really borderline and difficult to say. The build date and original delivery date is such that it could be a car where supercharging will transfer, but the other detail is the had to be ordered prior to Jan 15, 2017 for the supercharging benefit to transfer with the life of the car. So you can two cars built on this exact same date, delivered on the same date, but one ordered in Dec 2016 and one orders on Jan 21, 2017 and you'd find supercharging transfers with the first car but not the second car.

So while the charging screen shows the car currently has free supercharging, this doesn't say that will transfer when the ownership record is change in Tesla's system.

The only way I know to determine this for certain is you need to know the option codes. Unfortunately it will not show you that in the car, and while option codes can be retrieved by the API data calls, these do not seem accurate anymore as what's returned appear to be a 'generic' set of codes (the API reply would imply my mid-2016 MS90D is a Model 3!). The only way I know to find the option codes on a car is to go into the owner account online, click on the image of the car, and then past the URL into a document as a text string. You'll see it contains all the codes. However, if you don't have access to the car via an owner account, then you're still stuck with an indeterminate situation.

I don't know if you've tried contacting a Tesla service center to ask them? That's a long shot as in general most typically you'll hear that they will not give out any information if you're not currently the owner. Maybe the dealer might have more success in contacting them, explain they are just trying to be honest in representing the car to prospective buyers, and they want the new owner to be satisfied with their purchase of a Tesla. As I said, it's a long shot, but just maybe they'll find a sympathetic service advisor that willing to help do the right thing.

Good luck!
Thanks for the super informative post. If the car was ordered after the jan 15th date would the free supercharging be tied to the Tesla account instead?

If the car was ordered after that Jan 15th date, then it isn't tied to the account - it is simply taken away if the vehicle transfers to another owner. ALTHOUGH - even that is not always the case, as there was a time where it would transfer to owner #2, but not subsequent. The company really made a mess of it back then, and they are not making it easier now by being SO secretive about this information. Many service team people (who haven't been with the company for more than 2 years) will even say outright that "no vehicle has free unlimited supercharging" because they just don't know, they have not been trained about the history of options - only what is true "today" about the company's policies, which are ever-changing.

I would start by asking this dealership where they sourced the car from - they should be able to tell you that - and any history that they can show of where it came from. IF IT WAS EVER IN THE HANDS OF TESLA prior to auction, then it WILL NOT have free supercharging, because the jerks at Tesla will strip that feature when they get their hands on it, even if it is a 2012 car.

Thanks for the super informative post. If the car was ordered after the jan 15th date would the free supercharging be tied to the Tesla account instead?
Saying it is 'tied to the Tesla account' is a bit of a game of semantics.

Cars up through 2016 and those that met the ordered by Jan 15, 2017 and delivered by sometime in early 2017 (I want to say date was like maybe April 15th, but don't take that as gospel) fall into the category where the unlimited free supercharging was transferable to subsequent owners for the life of the vehicle. Now, as stated, this was a part of the original sales agreement of the car, so if the car came back into Tesla possession via trade in, end of lease return, etc., then Tesla did have the right to remove this with any subsequent terms being based upon the what was a part of the subsequent sale to the new owner.

After this for most of 2017, most new cars purchased direct from Tesla ended up getting free supercharging that applied for the lifetime that the car was owned by the original purchaser. When the car was resold to a different party, and ownership record transferred within Tesla, this free supercharging was removed. That could be viewed as 'tied to the account', but it was really tied to the original purchases. Subtle distinction is I could possibly set up a different Tesla account for personal reasons, have the car moved between the accounts, but my ownership of the car continues, so the free supercharging continues.

Alternately, some would say "I'll sell you the car, give you my Tesla account" as a way for the new owner to retain free supercharging by avoiding the need to do an ownership transfer with Tesla. That may have worked in some cases, but once Tesla recognized you as a new owner (likely during service), then the benefit was entitled to be stripped. Technically this type of approach could be seen a fraud with both parties potentially exposed legally.

That's where your challenge with this car is to try and figure out which of these two categories applies to this car. That frankly is not easy at all unless the dealer has the ability to reach out to the prior owner. They should be able to do this if they purchased the car directly from them. If they cannot, then I'd be a little suspicious if they truly purchased directly from the original owner versus from auction, in which case there's may be more chance it's been back through Tesla's hands and in which case all bets are off.

Good luck, this isn't easy to get absolute certainty.

Alternate approach is if this really is a car in good condition, what you're looking for, then how much value does free supercharging truly give you. You're the only one that can really answer that. If you will have home charging and do major portion of your charging at home, it may not be worth as much as you think. In my case, about 45% of my total miles traveled has been supported via free supercharging. Even with that, when I run the hard numbers, it's really only been worth less than $500 a year, even considering today's supercharging costs. Your ability to negotiate favorable purchase price by maybe $2-3k may more than offset what any value of free supercharging might be. But this again very dependent upon your own use case.

Last edited:

Good luck!
Update: I went to the service center and they wouldn’t pull the code for me. I did manage to get them to pull up the original purchase contract which shows that they bought it on Jan 9th and had a referral credit. Nothing explicitly listing free supercharging though.

It’s attached here. Question for anyone who got free supercharging, is this what your purchase order looked like?

Attachments

• 5CD58D16-1924-4E8C-A390-89E176C2A688.jpeg
    5CD58D16-1924-4E8C-A390-89E176C2A688.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 112
Update: I went to the service center and they wouldn’t pull the code for me. I did manage to get them to pull up the original purchase contract which shows that they bought it on Jan 9th and had a referral credit. Nothing explicitly listing free supercharging though.

It’s attached here. Question for anyone who got free supercharging, is this what your purchase order looked like?
Unfortunately, it looks like yours didn’t come with the free unlimited supercharging that is transferable. I have attached my configuration sheet. Notice the Supercharger enabled line. My P100D was purchased in Dec 2016.

Attachments

• 896C070B-981A-4167-BC37-46B9FC52CDF0.jpeg
    896C070B-981A-4167-BC37-46B9FC52CDF0.jpeg
    679.9 KB · Views: 100
That's my guess as well. The only way to confirm is if you can get the option code and look for the SC code. The digit next to it will represent what type of Supercharging you have. (1) Free Unlimited Not Transferable, (2) Free Unlimited Transferable to next owner.

My Dec 2016 Model X is Free Unlimited Transferable to next owner. My Sept 2017 Model S is Free Unlimited Not Transferable.

You are backwards - SC01 is free and transferrable (follows the car), SC02 is probably free first owner only - but I'm not 100% on that. I just know that SC01 is the best code option, b/c that's the lifetime one.

Sorry, I was clear enough. The (1) and (2) were not the SC values, but more like #1 and #2. For SC values, here are the options and their definitions:

SC01: The car has unlimited free supercharging enabled and this is transferable to the next owner via a private sale. If the car was ever in the hands Tesla, then SC01 is removed by them.

SC04: The car has supercharging enabled but you pay for each charge.

SC05: The car has unlimited free supercharging currently enabled but this is not transferable to the next owner and the car will revert to SC04 following a sale.

SC06: The car has time bound unlimited free supercharging. Very few Model S/X were sold with 1 year of free supercharging, so this is the code for those few vehicles.

How can I know it’s sc01 or 02 for my model X
See post No. 2 above. In my browser (safari on a mac) I signed into my tesla account, clicked into the page for my car (2017 model S), then right clicked the image of my car and chose copy image address, then pasted that address into a text editor. I found a SC04 near the end of the list of codes, as I expected.

Reactions: geordi
See post No. 2 above. In my browser (safari on a mac) I signed into my tesla account, clicked into the page for my car (2017 model S), then right clicked the image of my car and chose copy image address, then pasted that address into a text editor. I found a SC04 near the end of the list of codes, as I expected.
And if you'd like a translation of what all the option codes mean, once you have that long image address from your "Manage" link on your Tesla account's web page.... Copy just the option section to the box on this site and it will give you a table with the definitions.