Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

figuring out which breaker controls which panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
I've got two sets of solar panels on my roof...one set of 20 with the inverter in garage, one set of 12 with micro inverters. they're all 250w panels.

when my powerwalls were installed, they labeled both solar breakers but didn't indicate which is which. my OCD would like to fix that..is there an easy way to determine which is which, aside from flipping them one at a time and trying to figure it out from the production drop?

Pretty sure the microinverter circuit should be on a 20A double pole breaker. At least the brand of microinverter (Enphase) I'm familiar with specifies that, not sure if they all do. So if one breaker is bigger than 20A and the other is 20A, then the 20A breaker is your microinverter circuit.

If both breakers are 20A, then absent opening up the panel and tracing the wires and conduits, I don't have any suggestions. If you have monitoring that is specific to just one inverter type (e.g. Enphase's Enlighten) then it would easy to kill one breaker and see what that monitoring says. If you only have joint monitoring (e.g. the PW CTs), then if do a test when all panels are illuminated, it should be possible to distinguish based on the power drop from flipping one breaker--it should drop to either 3/8 or 5/8 of the starting power.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: crackers8199
Pretty sure the microinverter circuit should be on a 20A double pole breaker. At least the brand of microinverter (Enphase) I'm familiar with specifies that, not sure if they all do. So if one breaker is bigger than 20A and the other is 20A, then the 20A breaker is your microinverter circuit.

If both breakers are 20A, then absent opening up the panel and tracing the wires and conduits, I don't have any suggestions. If you have monitoring that is specific to just one inverter type (e.g. Enphase's Enlighten) then it would easy to kill one breaker and see what that monitoring says. If you only have joint monitoring (e.g. the PW CTs), then if do a test when all panels are illuminated, it should be possible to distinguish based on the power drop from flipping one breaker--it should drop to either 3/8 or 5/8 of the starting power.

Cheers, Wayne

perfect...this should work. one breaker is 20A, the other is 30A.

thanks!