Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filing Tax Returns & EV Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
I'm anxious to get my taxes filed and usually file as early as possible. Unfortunately it appears that two of the forms I need are still not updated for 2018. These are:

Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Form 8936): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (Form 8911): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

According to TurboTax form 8936 for 2018 is expected to be available on January 31st, but with the current government shutdown I'm not putting too much faith in this. At this time there is no estimate on when form 8911 will be available for 2018. I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping these forms become available as soon as possible. Figured I'd start this thread so others can ask about filing for these credits.

I'm anxious to get my taxes filed and usually file as early as possible. Unfortunately it appears that two of the forms I need are still not updated for 2018. These are:

Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Form 8936): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (Form 8911): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

According to TurboTax form 8936 for 2018 is expected to be available on January 31st, but with the current government shutdown I'm not putting too much faith in this. At this time there is no estimate on when form 8911 will be available for 2018. I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping these forms become available as soon as possible. Figured I'd start this thread so others can ask about filing for these credits.
I was surprised to find out that the form wasn't ready. And yes, I'm very anxious. I want my money!!!

I don't see where 8911 was extended to include installs in 2018. Can anyone confirm?

I’m just going by what the TurboTax app is telling me. The app asks about installing a refueling station for an alternative fuel vehicle and when I get that far a message pops up that they’re still waiting on an updated 8911 form for 2018. I also found this draft instruction sheet for form 8911 for 2018: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i8911--dft.pdf

Edit: Upon further investigation it looks like the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit expired at the end of 2017 and has not been renewed as far as I can tell. Bummer...

Last edited:
The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit was renewed retroactively for the 2017 tax year in early 2018, which evidently was something of a surprise. Nothing similar was passed for the 2018 tax year, however, and given the shutdown, I don't expect we will see anything before the April 15th filing deadline, if at all. Of course, if Congress does pass something retroactively for the 2018 tax year, those of us impacted could file an amended return after the fact.

...TurboTax...

It's Déjà Vu all over again years after years. See last year:

Anyone filed taxes for the $7500 tax credit yet?

Why pay cheaper price for Turbo Tax and wait when you can pay a little more for H&R Block Tax Software 2018 Deluxe + State Win (Email Delivery) at a price of $22.49

mYnwBN6.jpg

and I've consistently got a current form 8936 years after years every November prior to each New Year.

NqXOLIL.jpg

Last edited:
It's Déjà Vu all over again years after years. See last year:

Anyone filed taxes for the $7500 tax credit yet?

Why pay cheaper price for Turbo Tax and wait when you can pay a little more for H&R Block Tax Software 2018 Deluxe + State Win (Email Delivery) at a price of $22.49

mYnwBN6.jpg

and I've consistently got a current form 8936 years after years every November prior to each New Year.

NqXOLIL.jpg

How does H&R Block have a 2018 version of the 8936 form when the IRS hasn’t published one yet?

How does H&R Block have a 2018 version of the 8936 form when the IRS hasn’t published one yet?

Every year, H&R Block just changes the year number prior to IRS official announcement for forms. I got mine every November and form 8936 with the correct year has been there since.

This is not the first time.

It has worked for me for my 2012 Model S, 2017 Model X, and I am doing my 2018 Model 3 now too.

And not only worked for me, it also worked for others in the past as well.

I am no tax expert, but if there's no change in the law, no changes in the numbers of lines in the form, I don't see why we have to wait for official IRS announcement for forms.

H&R Block guarantees that if it makes mistakes such as in your question above it would cover a maximum of $10,000.

looks like the draft version of the form that is published. They probably removed the following text: "DRAFT AS OF October 3, 2018 DO NOT FILE"
I was so ready to finish my taxes up last weekend. At least TurboTax will let me know when the forms are in.

I was filling out my taxes with Credit Karma Tax when I also noticed this. Bummer.

Trump said he would keep the shutdown for “months or even years”.

I am not sure being hurry for this year would make much difference until the shutdown is over.

IRS Workers, Called Back To Work, Are Asking To Stay Home Instead, Raising Questions About Tax Season And Refunds

In theory, IRS workers are called back to work but like TSA workers, they are allowed to be excused from showing up at work due to "an economic hardship".

Just entered all my info on TurboTax online...reflected my $7500. But it won’t let me submit the return yet. Says form 8963 won’t be available until February 7th. Was anyone able to actually submit their returns?