Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filing Tax Returns & EV Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just entered all my info on TurboTax online...reflected my $7500. But it won’t let me submit the return yet. Says form 8963 won’t be available until February 7th. Was anyone able to actually submit their returns?

Yeah looks like the form isn’t actually ready they are just letting us enter the info based on prior year form. Can’t actually file until the form becomes available.

Well I'm still stuck with below. Why is there an Energy Efficient Vehicle Charging Station Credit form?

nooooo.PNG

Well I'm still stuck with below. Why is there an Energy Efficient Vehicle Charging Station Credit form?

View attachment 372041

Yeah I’m still not clear why TurboTax has info in their app about filling that out. That credit expired at the end of 2017. Luckily I purchased my wall connector at the tail end of 2017 before I got my 3, so I just completed an amended 2017 return and will get a few more bucks back.

...Energy Efficient Vehicle Charging Station Credit form?...

Form 8911 was promptly updated by IRS on 1/24/2019 because it was expired as of 12/31/2017 as stated by @PoitNarf above!

It is there but all the lines are darkened with the repeated term "Reserved for future use" line after line.

Thanks to TurboTax: Yes, you can see that it'll be soon but no, you can't get anything from it!

I'm still waiting on my accountant to finish my taxes, but I am curious.... Has anyone got their numbers back yet?

How much are you getting back this year, compared to how much you got back last year?

tax brackets and changes have been out for a year. drastically different tax laws this year

everyone knew and should have planned accordingly but many will be in for a surprise

Reactions: gecko10x
tax brackets and changes have been out for a year. drastically different tax laws this year

everyone knew and should have planned accordingly but many will be in for a surprise

I was worried we were going to have to pay...just squeaked by with a small refund (before EV credit). Will have to take a look and maybe make some adjustments

I'm still waiting on my accountant to finish my taxes, but I am curious.... Has anyone got their numbers back yet?

How much are you getting back this year, compared to how much you got back last year?

Return was a lot lower than last year. Last year we got back over $3k, this year before the EV credit our return was $800. So our full return will be the $800 plus $7500 = ~$8300.