TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fill out the Consumer Reports Annual Survey!!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rcc, May 9, 2013.

1. rcc

rcc Model S 85KW, VIN #2236

Yesterday, I did something I normally don't do: I filled out Consumer Reports Annual Survey and gave them data on the Model S.

Reading the CR review this morning, while the S blew the reviewers away, they need more data from real users (their subscribers) before they can recommend it.

I don't have a problem with this. That's their methodology. They've always done it that way. They're up front about that and say so. And frankly, their reasoning makes sense. They're a pretty data-driven bunch of people.

So we Model S owners need to give them data. It will still take a year or more I think before there's enough data for them to predict long-term reliability.

But if you're a CR member/subscriber and you can give them data, do it now. Fill out the survey. It's 10 minutes if that. And every bit of data they have helps.

2. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Did it just come in the mail? Or did they email you a link? I'm only a website subscriber - I don't get the magazine.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I always try to fill out and return mine (JD power as well), just because I know a bunch of people look at that sort of thing. I do always try to be truthful though. No matter how much you like a car or brand, brushing any negatives under the rug to make the car seem better doesn't really do anyone a favor in the long run.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I filled out a JD power one (I think). My favorite questions/answers were back to back, both filled out honestly.

How important are the looks of the car to you when purchasing a new car? 1 (not at all important)
    How would you rate the looks of your new car? 5 (best looking car you can get)

And about 20 questions with 'engine' in them or 'dealer'. The survey I filled out was REALLY good about covering EVs and non-dealer car sales for the most part. But about 20 questions weren't done well.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

JT you got a JD survery for the S? I haven't gotten one (yet?).

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I got it Saturday in the mail. I don't think it was JD actually now. I'll go find the envelope to see this evening.

7. Edgewood Dome

Edgewood Dome Member

I completed it an hour ago, only 3 other reviews had been posted. I hope we can get more S owners to complete the survey.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Kind of surprising you need a subscription to give them data. That sounds very not-data-eager to me.

9. Soflason

Soflason Member

Filled it out, good call rcc, this will help the momentum with future CR coverage and reviews...

10. wts13

wts13 Member

Probably cuts way down on useless spam. Imagine how easy it would be for manufacturers to fake reliability data to improve ratings. Much harder if every survey represents a real subscriber. I think it's the right way to do it.

11. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

I just subscribed and submitted a review too :)

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And manufacturers can't buy N thousand subscriptions (at a pittance relative to many advertising budgets)?

"My VIN is my passport. Please verify me."

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't recall seeing a follow-up on this, and the article about George B linked to the results:

Car Owner Satisfaction Ratings - Consumer Reports
    Tesla's racking up a lot of 99/100s and a lot of "highest in a long time" marks.