Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fill out the Consumer Reports Annual Survey!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rcc

Model S 85KW, VIN #2236
Aug 1, 2012
San Jose, CA
Yesterday, I did something I normally don't do: I filled out Consumer Reports Annual Survey and gave them data on the Model S.

Reading the CR review this morning, while the S blew the reviewers away, they need more data from real users (their subscribers) before they can recommend it.

I don't have a problem with this. That's their methodology. They've always done it that way. They're up front about that and say so. And frankly, their reasoning makes sense. They're a pretty data-driven bunch of people.

So we Model S owners need to give them data. It will still take a year or more I think before there's enough data for them to predict long-term reliability.

But if you're a CR member/subscriber and you can give them data, do it now. Fill out the survey. It's 10 minutes if that. And every bit of data they have helps.

I always try to fill out and return mine (JD power as well), just because I know a bunch of people look at that sort of thing. I do always try to be truthful though. No matter how much you like a car or brand, brushing any negatives under the rug to make the car seem better doesn't really do anyone a favor in the long run.

I always try to fill out and return mine (JD power as well), just because I know a bunch of people look at that sort of thing. I do always try to be truthful though. No matter how much you like a car or brand, brushing any negatives under the rug to make the car seem better doesn't really do anyone a favor in the long run.

I filled out a JD power one (I think). My favorite questions/answers were back to back, both filled out honestly.

How important are the looks of the car to you when purchasing a new car? 1 (not at all important)
How would you rate the looks of your new car? 5 (best looking car you can get)

And about 20 questions with 'engine' in them or 'dealer'. The survey I filled out was REALLY good about covering EVs and non-dealer car sales for the most part. But about 20 questions weren't done well.

Probably cuts way down on useless spam. Imagine how easy it would be for manufacturers to fake reliability data to improve ratings. Much harder if every survey represents a real subscriber. I think it's the right way to do it.
And manufacturers can't buy N thousand subscriptions (at a pittance relative to many advertising budgets)?

"My VIN is my passport. Please verify me."

I don't recall seeing a follow-up on this, and the article about George B linked to the results:

Car Owner Satisfaction Ratings - Consumer Reports
So perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise that the Tesla Model S all-electric luxury sports sedan, which provides all of those attributes in one car, topped our latest ratings with the highest satisfaction score we’ve seen in years: 99 out of 100.
its owner-satisfaction score matches the near-perfect 99 overall test score that the Tesla earned in our test program, which made it our highest-rated vehicle.

Tesla's racking up a lot of 99/100s and a lot of "highest in a long time" marks.