Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filling tires using 12v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
actually....bikes take more PSI than cars I believe
Most road bikes (that is, the ones with skinny tires) take 80 to 115 PSI. The difference is the vastly greater volume of car tires. A floor-type bike pump would take a lot of time and effort to fill a car tire and I would not want to do it! The frame mounted pumps would be a bad joke for a car tire.

I now added a Ryobi pump (it was on sale for $20) that uses their 18 volt rechargable battery and is quite quick and fairly quiet.

I use a Viair 85p that connects to the cigarette lighter port in the center console. It works great and is super easy. I've used it several times already to balance and top up my tire pressure (I over-inflate and then use a dedicated gauge with bleed valve to bleed down to the precise PSI). I have an 88p that clips to the terminals on a 12v battery as well, but I keep that in my other (ICE) car. I've had enough flats that I prefer to just keep pumps in each car just in case.

I just use a ring compressor. It doesn't have a tank, so you don't have to wait for it to fill that first, and you can set the pressure what it stops at, iirc bar, psi a d possibly Mpa are an option. Not expensive either. Think I paid around £20/30$.

I use a Viair 85p that connects to the cigarette lighter port in the center console. It works great and is super easy. I've used it several times already to balance and top up my tire pressure (I over-inflate and then use a dedicated gauge with bleed valve to bleed down to the precise PSI). I have an 88p that clips to the terminals on a 12v battery as well, but I keep that in my other (ICE) car. I've had enough flats that I prefer to just keep pumps in each car just in case.
I know this post is a bit old but wonder if you’re still having good luck with the Viair 85P. I got one recently and it worked perfectly the first time I used it. Topped up all four tires with no issues. Used it today to do the same and it would only stay on for about 10 seconds (at most) before shutting off. I presume it was tripping the virtual breaker in the car as it would work again a few minutes later only to trip again after a few seconds. I plugged it into my wife’s ICE car and it worked perfectly while I topped off all four of my tires and all four of hers. So it seems like it’s just an issue with my 2022 MSLR.

I have many ryobi tools and this is what I recommend.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 10.13.16 AM.png

I know this post is a bit old but wonder if you’re still having good luck with the Viair 85P. I got one recently and it worked perfectly the first time I used it. Topped up all four tires with no issues. Used it today to do the same and it would only stay on for about 10 seconds (at most) before shutting off. I presume it was tripping the virtual breaker in the car as it would work again a few minutes later only to trip again after a few seconds. I plugged it into my wife’s ICE car and it worked perfectly while I topped off all four of my tires and all four of hers. So it seems like it’s just an issue with my 2022 MSLR.
Yes, I've had problems with a Slime 12V tire inflator. I think it tripped the car's virtual circuit breaker which is rated for 12A continuous, 16A peak. Also the car can go to sleep. Once, the compressor tripped its own fuse.

No trouble at all using a bike pump.

While I like my battery-operated tools, I think the use case is important in what inflator you choose. If you are topping up your 3, in your garage, then any inflator you like is fine. However, if you're thinking about inflating low tires, while on a roadtrip, or pumping a flat tire, then I'm just worried that relying upon a battery inflator is adding unnecessary stress to a probably stressful situation. A 12v inflator would be slightly less risky, and a foot operated pump would likely be the most reliable. Your thoughts and opinions may vary.

Reactions: Transformer
While I like my battery-operated tools, I think the use case is important in what inflator you choose. If you are topping up your 3, in your garage, then any inflator you like is fine. However, if you're thinking about inflating low tires, while on a roadtrip, or pumping a flat tire, then I'm just worried that relying upon a battery inflator is adding unnecessary stress to a probably stressful situation. A 12v inflator would be slightly less risky, and a foot operated pump would likely be the most reliable. Your thoughts and opinions may vary.
Point taken, and why I chose this one. It uses the Dewalt 20v batteries, has a plug for the vehicle’s 12v system, and can use an optional 120v adapter. A fully-charged 20v battery has inflated two tires from 0 psi to operating pressure for me after plugging holes in them on another vehicle while still holding enough charge to top off 6 more tires. I would use the 12v plug only as a backup. Obviously, I keep the 20v battery topped off by swapping it out for a fully-charged one every month or so or after use.

Reactions: Tinkerin and KenC
Obviously, I keep the 20v battery topped off by swapping it out for a fully-charged one every month or so or after use.
Thanks for reminding me. I carry a Ryobi P747 in my trunk. Couldn't pass up a good deal a couple of years ago as I was already heavily invested into the Ryobi ONE+ ecosystem (saws, drills, shop vac, light, etc.). It sits there along with an old corded 12V compressor. I was out yesterday and noticed the low air pressure warning icon on the screen. All tires are now showing 32-33 psi, probably due to the colder weather.

Yes, it's still working great for me. Just a few weeks ago, I topped off all four tires in one go and had no issues with the pump whatsoever (it does get hot, though). It sounds like the pump was tripping the virtual breaker on your 12v for some reason. I wonder why your car's breaker would trip, but mine doesn't. It could be a difference in the car/breaker or the pump. One thing that is probably different between our cars is that my 12v is lead acid. Yours may be one of the new lithium 12v batteries. Perhaps the lithium 12v is babied a bit more???

Yes, it's still working great for me. Just a few weeks ago, I topped off all four tires in one go and had no issues with the pump whatsoever (it does get hot, though). It sounds like the pump was tripping the virtual breaker on your 12v for some reason. I wonder why your car's breaker would trip, but mine doesn't. It could be a difference in the car/breaker or the pump. One thing that is probably different between our cars is that my 12v is lead acid. Yours may be one of the new lithium 12v batteries. Perhaps the lithium 12v is babied a bit more???
I’m not sure either. First time it worked flawlessly. Second time it seemed to be tripping the “breaker” every time. Tried it again a third time and it worked flawlessly. Lol. Guess I’ll roll the dice if I ever need it out on the road. Thanks for your reply!

For pumps with alligator clips Only like the Viair 300 and the newer LV battery, how are people utilizing equipment like that?

Is it OK to use that LV DC power even if it is ~16VDC and not ~12VDC?

What are the rules people are using with the higher voltage system and accessories?

300P-RVS-Portable-Tire-Inflator.jpg

For pumps with alligator clips Only like the Viair 300 and the newer LV battery, how are people utilizing equipment like that?

Is it OK to use that LV DC power even if it is ~16VDC and not ~12VDC?

What are the rules people are using with the higher voltage system and accessories?

View attachment 877877
The published specs that I can find about the Viair 300P is that the motor voltage is 12V. Nothing about the maximum or minimum. If you have one of these I'd contact the manufacturer and inquire about a 16V input voltage.

edit: I'd have to think that something like this should be able to accept at least 14.5V input as that is typically what one would see if the (ICE) car is running and the alternator supplying charging voltage.