Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filtering out V3 superchargers in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from a MY to a used 2018 Model X so I had to re-learn how to do some things... charging is one of them. Since the MX has the older charging port, it can't use the European V3 SCs without the CCS upgrade, which is not yet installed on mine (I only had it for a few weeks). Now that I know this, I will get the CCS upgrade installed ASAP, but in the meantime, since I'm on a road trip at the moment... is there any way to filter out V3 SCs when routing with the car's navigation? On this road trip, I ended up at a SC that was a V3, puzzled and scratching my head when I noticed that they only had the CCS connector which I can't use... Luckily, there was another SC within range, but I still have a few thousand km to go on this trip and I don't want to end up in a situation where Tesla navigates me to a V3 SC with very little charge left and no way for me to charge.

I'm not sure if the buttons on the map can specifically include or exclude them, so it may not be fully automated, but you can see the information for it when you click on each one, so you may have to view them and just navigate directly to the next Supercharger you want.

When you click on it, it will show the power level of each Supercharger. The V2 ones will say 150 kW. The V3 ones will say 250 kW.

There are buttons that show either one, two, or three lightning bolts to filter charging stations, and that will let you display or not display ones with different power levels. Regular wall chargers like at hotels are in the 1 bolt. But I can't remember what the cutoff point is for the two lightning bolts. The "urban" style ones (which you may not have in Europe) are only 72 kW power, so they are put in the 2 bolts category. The 150 kW I'm not sure if it would put them in two or three.

I'm not sure if the buttons on the map can specifically include or exclude them, so it may not be fully automated, but you can see the information for it when you click on each one, so you may have to view them and just navigate directly to the next Supercharger you want.

When you click on it, it will show the power level of each Supercharger. The V2 ones will say 150 kW. The V3 ones will say 250 kW.

There are buttons that show either one, two, or three lightning bolts to filter charging stations, and that will let you display or not display ones with different power levels. Regular wall chargers like at hotels are in the 1 bolt. But I can't remember what the cutoff point is for the two lightning bolts. The "urban" style ones (which you may not have in Europe) are only 72 kW power, so they are put in the 2 bolts category. The 150 kW I'm not sure if it would put them in two or three.
Thank you, I also thought of guessing the type of SC from the 250/150kW indication, but in Europe, while the newest V2 SCs only have CCS2, there are some that have both. I guess this a result of adding more stalls to existing SCs and when adding new ones, making them V3, while also keeping the older V2 ones already there. I have been to a number or SCs that have some of the new V3 type of stalls (CCS2 only, 250kW, single cable) plus some of the older V2 ones (CCS2 + Type 2, 150kW, two cables). While this approach would work to exclude all SCs that have any of the new V3 style stalls, it would also exclude those that have both, since only the max charging rate is indicated. So this would eliminate some chargers that do have Type 2, limiting the choice of "safe" SC stops for a car that can only use Type 2.

I think this is a pretty big oversight on Tesla's part... automatically navigating a car to a charger where it's impossible to charge it. They have all the data - they know which SCs have Type 2, the software in your car knows what hardware it has, so I don't understand why they wouldn't exclude chargers you actually can't use...

Maybe they don't care because they say "just get a CCS upgrade", which I will, but I will be on a road trip for the next several weeks so I can't schedule an appointment just yet.

Thank you, I also thought of guessing the type of SC from the 250/150kW indication, but in Europe, while the newest V2 SCs only have CCS2, there are some that have both. I guess this a result of adding more stalls to existing SCs and when adding new ones, making them V3, while also keeping the older V2 ones already there. I have been to a number or SCs that have some of the new V3 type of stalls (CCS2 only, 250kW, single cable) plus some of the older V2 ones (CCS2 + Type 2, 150kW, two cables). While this approach would work to exclude all SCs that have any of the new V3 style stalls, it would also exclude those that have both, since only the max charging rate is indicated. So this would eliminate some chargers that do have Type 2, limiting the choice of "safe" SC stops for a car that can only use Type 2.

I think this is a pretty big oversight on Tesla's part... automatically navigating a car to a charger where it's impossible to charge it. They have all the data - they know which SCs have Type 2, the software in your car knows what hardware it has, so I don't understand why they wouldn't exclude chargers you actually can't use...

Maybe they don't care because they say "just get a CCS upgrade", which I will, but I will be on a road trip for the next several weeks so I can't schedule an appointment just yet.
When I had my S without the CCS2 upgrade the navigation system only showed V2 superchargers. After the hardware was installed and the adapter in my hands also V3 chargers became visible.
Not sure how you ended up at V3 chargers only...

When I had my S without the CCS2 upgrade the navigation system only showed V2 superchargers. After the hardware was installed and the adapter in my hands also V3 chargers became visible.
Not sure how you ended up at V3 chargers only...
Interesting... I am pretty sure, but not 100% sure that the V3 supercharger I ended up at was automatically added to my route by Tesla's route planing. The other interesting thing was (and I am 100% sure about this part) is that I had the "Preconditioning battery for fast charging" message on the screen as I was driving to the supercharger... which is not very useful if you can't charge.

Here's another option I just thought of. You can change the filters in Plugshare to what you want to show. You can select by power level to show only in a certain kW range of power. And then you can separately filter to show by the plug format. So if you show by 100+ kW but only show the Type2 Mennekes plug, I think that should show only the V2 Superchargers that have the plug you can use. I haven't tried it yet to make sure that works though.

Here's another option I just thought of. You can change the filters in Plugshare to what you want to show. You can select by power level to show only in a certain kW range of power. And then you can separately filter to show by the plug format. So if you show by 100+ kW but only show the Type2 Mennekes plug, I think that should show only the V2 Superchargers that have the plug you can use. I haven't tried it yet to make sure that works though.
Thank you - I found workarounds as well (e.g. checking the Supercharger I am being routed to in Google Maps - you can tell from the photos if it's a V2 or a V3), I assumed that Tesla's built-in navigation would be smart enough to do that. And it may be - after driving a few thousand more km on this road trip, this never happened again. I think it may have been my mistake because it does seem to filter out CCS only chargers now that I am aware of this and paying attention. Maybe the one time it did not was when I manually navigated to a Supercharger, I just didn't realize it (long trip, lost of stops). But I am getting the CCS upgrade installed soon anyway.

Reactions: Rocky_H