Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final chapter of my story!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MXB, Great that you found an amicable solution :) Didn't you want to wait a few days and get the P100D if it comes out soon? That will be a nice silver lining.

As this car now has a "damage to the top Pillar.", can this be sold as cpo? Will this be a salvaged car? I honestly don't know, just asking.

@MXB, Great that you found an amicable solution :) Didn't you want to wait a few days and get the P100D if it comes out soon? That will be a nice silver lining.

As this car now has a "damage to the top Pillar.", can this be sold as cpo? Will this be a salvaged car? I honestly don't know, just asking.

At this point i have not seem my X yet. Those are information provided by the body shop to Tesla SC via email. I do not know how severe the damage is to the top pillar. I will find out by Saturday i guess.

There has been at least one other "lemon" claim. The instigator of that particular claim (on a Model S) was very antagonistic about things and ultimately got his money back but was blacklisted from ever buying another Tesla.
I hope that doesn't happen to me. I've been very patient and polite, and put up with rather a lot. I'm hoping they get the major items, so I don't have to go the Lemon route. I've also been intentionally quiet about it as much as possible so as to not cause them to think I'm being rough, although I did let some leak as it were since it was tangentially related to one item I needed help diagnosing. I wasn't treated the same way yet (they were very oppositional), but I'll see. It's very early, and their first attempt to fix. (I had to wait 3 weeks for the first appointment.)

Question -

1. When you get a replacement do you have to pay the 7500 federal tax credit back especially when you go back and buy a new one as a replacement
2. Do they deduct dollars for mile driven when the replacement happens

I had similar problem but worse. My car was one of the first cars off production. In first ten months it was in SC 8 times for a total of 177 days. They have agreed to pay be back everything I paid but I have to pay a per mike fee for all miles on car. My new car is scheduled to arrive in March 13 months after first one was delivered. It took Tesla 5 months to agree to give me a new car. They DO NOT pay you for your inconvenience. They follow the same guideline for everyone. I know of at least 15 people who have gotten Tesla to replace their car. You have to eat any price increases.

Hi all Tesla family members

Let me start by saying this forum has some awesome information and holds a great group of people. Many people might have heard some unfortunately problems with my Model X P90D Ludicrous. I am going to write a detailed story about my car and solutions that I got today.

Some background of my car:
I ordered a fully loaded P90D with Ludicrous with every single package Tesla has to offer. The final amount after Tax before credit came out roughly 160K. Here are my list of problems:
1. Drove the car less than 24 hours before both front and passenger door latches failed.
2. Latch failed and busted a bolt in the joint of the driver door caused a huge protruding dent on the driver door. Size of a walnut
3. Bottom panels under the FWD on both side were not painted, and visible scratches were there as well.
4. Alignment was off
5. Left driver door rubber seal was too long, rubbing against the FWD
Other problems I have not yet discovered due to the limited time I was with the car (One Day).

The one day period with the car i did:
1. Open the FWD door couple times
2. Never open the frunk
3. Never sit in third row seats
4. Open rear Truck one time only

The X is currently in Service Center for roughly 2 and half weeks now to fix all the issues we have above and I am supposed to pick up the X today 04/12/16 . Now another major issue emerged, the failed driver door not only damaged the driver side aluminum panel, it has also caused a damage to the top Pillar. On top of that, SC also needs to fix the recall on the third row latch. This require the car to be in SC until end of the week or even longer. By Saturday, it will put my X exactly 25 days at the SC since it first entered. Here is the discussion i had with the Costa Mesa SC manager and two possible solutions were discussed:

Solution 1. Car will be fixed by Saturday of this week, the manager and its team will walk around the car 100% inside and out to make sure all problems are fixed. No more problems once exits the SC on Saturday.

Solution 2. If the car passes accumulative total of 30 days since the delivery of the car for fixing issues at SC. California "lemon law" will kicked in place, SC manager will initiate the procedure to take the car back and refund my money.

After talking over the possible outcome of my car, we agree on fixing all the problems (visible or not) before the 30th day hits. Once it hits, we will start the "lemon law" process to refund my money. Once the money back to my account, i will place another order with same spec Model X on TeslaMotors.com on the same day. My goal is to get a perfectly working Model X. Tesla will still earn my business, I will continue to support and be a Tesla loyal customer. By claiming a "lemon", I am probably the first person to do so in the world. But at this stage, both SC and I all agree that my Model X might be a real "lemon" or the problems with the door really forced the car to be a "lemon".

I want to make it clear that my experience with Model X might be an isolated issue, no media shall use, copy and imply any of my experiences with Tesla written here in TMC anywhere outside of the TMC forum without my written permission.

Tesla is a revolutionary company that will change the way we drive our cars in the next 10-20 years. I have no regret of getting a Tesla and I will continue to support Tesla on it's future releases. Also I want to thank Costa Mesa SC for taking care of me, providing me with some real solutions to my Model X. Truly showcased some top notch customer service.

Thanks
ModelXBoy
I picked up my Model X at the end of December 2016, and since then I've had to take it back to the SC in Costa Mesa a few times, too. I'm trying to be just as patient as you have been. My problems are:
1) Sudden glass shattering of quarter window on driver's side falcon wing door. (This happened on New Year's Day Sunday after I've had the car for just over a week.) The SC later told me it was mounted wrong. It was in the SC for over a week, but i had to drive with the shattered window for a week until I was able to secure an appointment with the SCt.
2) 2nd row driver's side seat started making a creaking sound and would not recline anymore. SC later said it was a manufacturing problem and so the warranty kicked in for them to fix that.
3) After we finally picked up the car from the SC, a few days later while driving on the freeway, the tire pressure alert suddenly came on, and by the time I was able to pull over at a freeway exit, the passenger rear tire was completely damaged. 24-hour roadside assistance was called, and within an hour, someone came with a loaner tire. Tesla doesn't warranty any of its tires, so I ended up getting it replaced at America's Tires and paying hundreds of dollars to warranty all the tires through America's Tires. And my wife who took it in forgot to ask the America's Tires folks to find out what caused the damage to the itre, so we will never know though in the back of my mind I believe it was a bad tire to start with.
4) This coming Monday, we finally got an appointment (it was pushed back because the SC supposedly experienced a power outage a few days before our appointment). So I'm taking it in again because my wife and I noticed the large windows on each falcon wing door isn't put in the same way--the trimmings are off, and my kids complained about being able to hear the air coming through the driver's side falcon wing door. Our Auto Steer isn't working at all unless we're stuck in traffic on the carpool lane of the Orange Crush. The garage door doesn't automatically close when I'm using my FOB, but it does automatically close when my wife uses her FOB. (the SC had a ranger come out to take a look at it, and he didn't even know what to do and had to call someone; eventually, he told my wife the Model X had to be "locked" using my FOB before it can work; though it worked, it never worked again for me when I tried it when I came home--my wife never told the ranger that it works fine when she uses her FOB). A few weeks back the dashboard had a yellow Call Tesla Service warning. And the list goes on.
I'm thinking my X could be a lemon, too.
At least we got an X loaner car last time when we brought it in to the SC. Did you get one when yours was in the SC in Costa Mesa?

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
I picked up my Model X at the end of December 2016, and since then I've had to take it back to the SC in Costa Mesa a few times, too. I'm trying to be just as patient as you have been. My problems are:
1) Sudden glass shattering of quarter window on driver's side falcon wing door. (This happened on New Year's Day Sunday after I've had the car for just over a week.) The SC later told me it was mounted wrong. It was in the SC for over a week, but i had to drive with the shattered window for a week until I was able to secure an appointment with the SCt.
2) 2nd row driver's side seat started making a creaking sound and would not recline anymore. SC later said it was a manufacturing problem and so the warranty kicked in for them to fix that.
3) After we finally picked up the car from the SC, a few days later while driving on the freeway, the tire pressure alert suddenly came on, and by the time I was able to pull over at a freeway exit, the passenger rear tire was completely damaged. 24-hour roadside assistance was called, and within an hour, someone came with a loaner tire. Tesla doesn't warranty any of its tires, so I ended up getting it replaced at America's Tires and paying hundreds of dollars to warranty all the tires through America's Tires. And my wife who took it in forgot to ask the America's Tires folks to find out what caused the damage to the itre, so we will never know though in the back of my mind I believe it was a bad tire to start with.
4) This coming Monday, we finally got an appointment (it was pushed back because the SC supposedly experienced a power outage a few days before our appointment). So I'm taking it in again because my wife and I noticed the large windows on each falcon wing door isn't put in the same way--the trimmings are off, and my kids complained about being able to hear the air coming through the driver's side falcon wing door. Our Auto Steer isn't working at all unless we're stuck in traffic on the carpool lane of the Orange Crush. The garage door doesn't automatically close when I'm using my FOB, but it does automatically close when my wife uses her FOB. (the SC had a ranger come out to take a look at it, and he didn't even know what to do and had to call someone; eventually, he told my wife the Model X had to be "locked" using my FOB before it can work; though it worked, it never worked again for me when I tried it when I came home--my wife never told the ranger that it works fine when she uses her FOB). A few weeks back the dashboard had a yellow Call Tesla Service warning. And the list goes on.
I'm thinking my X could be a lemon, too.
At least we got an X loaner car last time when we brought it in to the SC. Did you get one when yours was in the SC in Costa Mesa?

My X is currently at the Costa Mesa SC, I have a white loaner X90D

My X is currently at the Costa Mesa SC, I have a white loaner X90D
Just dropped my X at the Costa Mesa SC.

We did the test drive, and they confirmed most of the issues we addressed.

Even though they won't be able to work on it until four days later, they said we have to leave it there for legal reasons. They gave us a Model X white loaner, too, but we didn't realize it was a six-seater instead of a seven-seater until my wife went to go pick up our kids, and one of them noticed it only had six seats total.

Just dropped my X at the Costa Mesa SC.

We did the test drive, and they confirmed most of the issues we addressed.

Even though they won't be able to work on it until four days later, they said we have to leave it there for legal reasons. They gave us a Model X white loaner, too, but we didn't realize it was a six-seater instead of a seven-seater until my wife went to go pick up our kids, and one of them noticed it only had six seats total.

What issues do you have? I also have a 6 seater, white exterior and black interior.