Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Decision, 14-50 or Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
Been going back and forth, and I'd like to finally make a decision.
I've got a LR M3, and the speed difference is pretty negligible...I don't drive a lot, and both will fill up the car in a few hours.
So other than the obvious stuff...Wall Connector looks good, but is more expensive. Would be nice to keep the mobile charger in my car all the time...are there any other factors I should consider?
Either one safer than the other?

We're talking about monophase 32A 240V, right (yielding 7.6kW) using the UMC?

Wall Connectors can go beyond that (11kW), either one one phase (but 48A continuous!) or three phases (3*16A for a Model 3).

In continental Europe the UMC is severely limiting: we often have three phase 3*25-40A 240V coming into the house, and obviously it's easier to use 16A*3 240V for charging a Model 3 than to draw 32A from one single phase.

The earlier Model S/X UMC that supported 3 phase charging with an adapter to 3-phase CEE 17 sockets didn't have that limitation (but quite a scary adapter to the CEE 17 socket).

The wall connector is supposed to be used with a type EV or B RCD and that's safer, because it's upstream from the TWC (and fixed).

The UMC does detect even DC ground leaks (at least it was rumoured to do so, and it makes sense, since it's designed to be used on installations with Type A RCDs), but there is a theoretical danger that the UMC might get damaged (after all it's quite exposed) and make the operation of the Type A RCD that is upstream ineffective if there is an undetected DC leak (which would make whatever is on the same circuit less safe).

So yeah, anything that has things nicely mounted on the wall in a cabinet is safer than something that has vital electronics meant to protect you quite exposed. But in the US it's not so bad (although I don't like 32A going through a connector that has the UMC weight precariously hanging off it and which doesn't really have a locking mechanism, but that's just me).

A UMC is more hassle than a TWC with its own cable, though.

Last edited:
I've got a LR M3, and the speed difference is pretty negligible...I don't drive a lot, and both will fill up the car in a few hours.
So other than the obvious stuff...Wall Connector looks good, but is more expensive. Would be nice to keep the mobile charger in my car all the time...are there any other factors I should consider?

I wired in a plug right next to the panel, total cost, something like $12. Getting more than 30 MPH. More than enough for me. Rather spend the $500 saved on accessories for the new ride - or keep it in my back pocket. I do admit, the charger looks nicer. YMMV

I have the wall connector installed outside. I’m glad I got it only because it’s outside and I wouldn’t like to have my UMC sitting outside or the pain of unplugging it every morning. Not to mention 14-50 wasn’t really designed to be unplugged daily.

If I had a garage I would be using the UMC hands down. The wiring cost is the same if you use 6-50 (2w+g) so it’s super easy to upgrade if you do decide on the HPWC (be sure to run 6g). Just install a garden hose loop for the UMC and you basically have a HPWC. So you basically save 500 but are not limiting yourself at all. I don’t really see the need to carry the UMC except (maybe) on trips and I only go on one or two a month. I have never used my UMC past my first two weeks, trips included. Go with the UMC if indoors.

I wrote these two articles on this topic that might be useful in your decision making process.

How Should I Charge My Tesla? – Article625.com

Tesla Mobile Connector Gen 2 vs Wall Connector – Article625.com

• Informative
Reactions: tvguy710 and AKinDC
Without hesitation, wall connector.

You have an 11kW OBC, take advantage of it. I was on the fence in the beginning but decided to get the wall connector. The annoyance of cheaping out will last long after the happiness of low cost is forgotten.
Installing a 14-50 outlet for the UMC is not “cheaping out”, nor is it an annoyance.

The Gen2 UMC seems fine safety-wise based on not seeing many issues reported here. The UMC will definitely work fine, whether you decide to get the wall connector is pretty much a personal decision. The need to take the UMC with you is overblown, just take it when you leave on a long trip (unless that's very often, then get a wall connector).

There are definitely times when the ability to charge faster will be helpful, but it's not a necessity.

One suggestion, have them run 6awg wire in conduit if you do the 14-50. The circuit could then be converted to 60a if you change your mind later.

After similar agonizing, I got the wall connector. I wanted the slightly faster charging, the clean look and the ability to keep my UMC in the car. I may not need it, but I feel better knowing it's there. Sometimes, life is unpredictable. A second UMC is $275 if memory serves, so $500 for the wall connector made sense for me. Pure personal choice. Certainly, it's not required.

I choose the 14-50. I have a connected Gen2 mobile connector there 99% of the time, with a mounted cable organizer.

For me the choice wasn't about speed because it's pretty much the same at that scale - it was about efficiency, convenience and cost.
The power efficiency transfer on 14-50 vs the wall connector was about the same.
I don't travel often, so I only needed to disconnect the mobile connector when and if I did and wanted to.
The cable organizer made everything quick and seamless.
A "nice to keep the connector in the car" thing isn't that important with superchargers and only on truly traveling situations.

After a few weeks in the car I realized that superchargers are the modern (forgive me) gas stations -- I don't really need to carry more stuff with me unless I'm really going off the grid. The only thing I really carry with me is the J1772 adapter.

Personally I'd probably opt for the 14-50 plug if 32A charging speeds are adequate for you and just save the money. If you need a little faster charge rate, buy the Gen 1 mobile connector to get 40A. I installed a HPWC but have an S with a 72A charger so it was a significant improvement over the mobile connector but for the M3, 32-40A seems to be adequate.

The biggest factor for me was I didn't want to have to deal with putting the UMC back in my car in the morning. The HPWC just looks really nice and I get the bonus of the faster charging speed.

Now that I look back, I probably should have just done a NEMA 14-50 since I never charge at home anyhow.

• Informative
Reactions: Kognos
I went back and forth and actually regretted going with the 14-50 once I had my car and was waiting for to it be installed. Not sure why. Once it was installed, I see no reason to pay the extra money for the wall connector. I leave the adapter plugged into the socket and unplug that from the Tesla cord and unplug the other end of the cord from my car every morning. No need to lug the cords around all day. That said, I live in an area with plenty of superchargers. You really do not NEED the wall charger unless you need the little bit of extra charge speed on a regular basis. Pople who have them think they are the best thing ever. People who don't have them, don't get the hype.

Wall connector, if cost isn't a big issue. One benefit that people don't tend to take into account is if (when?) you have a 2nd Tesla, the HPWC can be very inexpensively expanded to load share. Which is just awesome (just had mine done last week). Being able to plug both cars in and just not care which one needs a charge that night is very convenient, and the removal of a need to run a 2nd circuit to the garage can easily offset the cost of the HPWC itself.

Wall connector, if cost isn't a big issue. One benefit that people don't tend to take into account is if (when?) you have a 2nd Tesla, the HPWC can be very inexpensively expanded to load share. Which is just awesome (just had mine done last week). Being able to plug both cars in and just not care which one needs a charge that night is very convenient, and the removal of a need to run a 2nd circuit to the garage can easily offset the cost of the HPWC itself.

I never really understood the need for multiple HPWC. Unless both of your commutes are 100+ miles daily, I don't see the need. Just unplug and swap it after a couple of hours. Saves a lot of money for a minor inconvenience.

I never really understood the need for multiple HPWC. Unless both of your commutes are 100+ miles daily, I don't see the need. Just unplug and swap it after a couple of hours. Saves a lot of money for a minor inconvenience.

Most don't *need* it. But especially if you have time-of-use rates, swapping plugs isn't as convenient (or, rather, is more inconvenient) than you describe. It's just a nice-to-have, and in relation to the investment in the vehicles it's not expensive.

Reactions: Joelc
Was in the same boat. Decided on the Wall Connector with a 60amp breaker installed by a licensed electrician. I was going to just install a 14-50 outlet and 50amp breaker myself, but I would still have to purchase an extra UMC for $350-$400. Maryland offers a 40% rebate on home EV charging equipment and installation (by a licensed electrician), so ultimately it wound up costing me an extra $100 to get the Wall Connector professionally installed.