Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Decision, 14-50 or Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 6-50 for sure.

I just don’t see much additional benifit in pumping a measly extra 8 amps over a Gen I 40a UMC that can be had on the used market for a reasonable price to keep permanently docked at home. The 32a Gen II MC can be kept stowed in the trunk where you never have to worry about forgetting to take it along. It’s not like you can take advantage of juicing at 80a like us early folks with a HPWC or WC. I charged on a 14-30 for the first 80,000 miles on our S with a mostly 80-mile RT commute and with an occasional 160-mile commute. I currently have an HPWC and a 6-50, however, I charge both the S and LR RWD on 6-20s. I too, am one who likes the lightweight UMC and MC cable over my bulky HPWC cable.

I originally was just going to use my UMC so I had a NEMA 14-50 put in. Then I found a great deal on a gen 1 UMC which charges faster so keep my gen 2 in the Frunk. I’ve used it a total of Zero times over the year. For a very short time Tesla offered a corded wall connector, now they just have the corded mobile connector.
I thought they still offered the corded wall connector.. eBay it is.

It is "cheaping out". Do it right.

Keep the "Mobile Connector" for mobile applications.

There's two sides here. Sure, an argument that 14-50 is cheapening out I could see. But I think the more valid argument is that its a bit more future proof - chances are 14-50 outlets will be supported by almost all EVs in the near future, and home EV chargers are readily available for 14-50 outlets. If I install a tesla wall charger at my house, when I go to sell it, I'll need to either 1) hope the next owner has or would like a Tesla, or 2) pay to remove it and install a 14-50 anyway.

Reactions: Rocky_H and AKinDC
There's two sides here.
Sure, an argument that 14-50 is cheapening out I could see.
But I think the more valid argument is that its a bit more future proof - chances are 14-50 outlets will be supported
by almost all EVs in the near future, and home EV chargers are readily available for 14-50 outlets.
If I install a tesla wall charger at my house, when I go to sell it, I'll need to either
1) hope the next owner has or would like a Tesla, or
2) pay to remove it and install a 14-50 anyway.
3) sale the house including a Tesla!

FWIW, while #2 on your list is presented as a con, it's really not a big deal. If your garage has multiple HPWCs, you're still looking at well under an hour of an electrician's time to pull them and cap off the connection. The new owner can then have whatever they need installed, also for mouse nuts in terms of $$. Just a total non-issue.

There's two sides here. Sure, an argument that 14-50 is cheapening out I could see. But I think the more valid argument is that its a bit more future proof - chances are 14-50 outlets will be supported by almost all EVs in the near future, and home EV chargers are readily available for 14-50 outlets. If I install a tesla wall charger at my house, when I go to sell it, I'll need to either 1) hope the next owner has or would like a Tesla, or 2) pay to remove it and install a 14-50 anyway.

It's cheap/easy to switch HPWC out for a 14-50 later if you sell house or change/expand EV Brands.

FWIW, while #2 on your list is presented as a con, it's really not a big deal. If your garage has multiple HPWCs, you're still looking at well under an hour of an electrician's time to pull them and cap off the connection. The new owner can then have whatever they need installed, also for mouse nuts in terms of $$. Just a total non-issue.

It's cheap/easy to switch HPWC out for a 14-50 later if you sell house or change/expand EV Brands.

I know its a bit of a reach, but hey, gotta make sure it all gets installed right, etc. etc.

Why not have your cake and eat it too? Install a 14-50 outlet and add a "pigtail" to a HPWC and plug into said 14-50 outlet. Both problems solved.

Because you can, as I recall, throw far more current down a HPWC if you size everything correctly than if you only installed the 14-50. For example, if you have multiple Teslas (must be nice!) you could split the available current from a 60 A circuit. Niche example, but at this point we're sort of limited by the onboard charger, as I recall.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Because you can, as I recall, throw far more current down a HPWC if you size everything correctly than if you only installed the 14-50. For example, if you have multiple Teslas (must be nice!) you could split the available current from a 60 A circuit. Niche example, but at this point we're sort of limited by the onboard charger, as I recall.

This is exactly what I have in place--2 HPWC sharing a 60A circuit. This allows either car to charge at the full 48A. If they are both charging simultaneously, each one gets 24A until one finishes, at which point the other ramps up to 48A.

This is exactly what I have in place--2 HPWC sharing a 60A circuit. This allows either car to charge at the full 48A. If they are both charging simultaneously, each one gets 24A until one finishes, at which point the other ramps up to 48A.

Does the OP need to charge two Teslas? I don’t believe he does. To me it sounds like he was concerned about having a solution that was (1) practical, (2) future-proof, and (3) universal. It’s hard to go wrong with a 14-50 plug + WC w/ 14-50 plug for those requirements. I don’t know his exact situation, but 40 amps (14-50 limit) vs 48 amps (onboard charger limit) is probably a moot point for a 75kWh battery.

Does the OP need to charge two Teslas? I don’t believe he does. To me it sounds like he was concerned about having a solution that was (1) practical, (2) future-proof, and (3) universal. It’s hard to go wrong with a 14-50 plug for those requirements. I don’t know his exact situation, but 40 amps (14-50 limit) vs 48 amps (onboard charger limit) is probably a moot point for a 75kWh battery.

To be clear, I think a 14-50 is a great starting point. That's what I did, in fact. My only suggestion would be to wire it with copper wiring of a sufficient gauge to support an eventual 100A circuit breaker if the cost differential is practical. It will cost a bit more now, but will make it trivial (or less complicated at the least) to upgrade in the future should you (or OP) choose. For example, I was able to have my 14-50 swapped into a HPWC, the circuit split in the garage to another HPWC, and the circuit breaker upgraded from 50A to 60A for a relative pittance when we got the 2nd Tesla. Had I used wiring that only supported 40A initially, I'd have had to 1) toss all that wiring, and 2) buy new wiring / pay for it to be re-run. Spending a bit more up front is well worth it if you think you may ever have 2 EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: F14Scott
Does the OP need to charge two Teslas? I don’t believe he does. To me it sounds like he was concerned about having a solution that was (1) practical, (2) future-proof, and (3) universal. It’s hard to go wrong with a 14-50 plug + WC w/ 14-50 plug for those requirements. I don’t know his exact situation, but 40 amps (14-50 limit) vs 48 amps (onboard charger limit) is probably a moot point for a 75kWh battery.

Also, I believe OP is talking about using the UMC with that 14-50. So we're talking 32A (14-50 with UMC) vs 48A (HPWC maxing out onboard charger). Your point still stands, though--32A should be plenty to charge 1 75 kWh battery overnight.

To be clear, I think a 14-50 is a great starting point. That's what I did, in fact. My only suggestion would be to wire it with copper wiring of a sufficient gauge to support an eventual 100A circuit breaker if the cost differential is practical. It will cost a bit more now, but will make it trivial (or less complicated at the least) to upgrade in the future should you (or OP) choose. For example, I was able to have my 14-50 swapped into a HPWC, the circuit split in the garage to another HPWC, and the circuit breaker upgraded from 50A to 60A for a relative pittance when we got the 2nd Tesla. Had I used wiring that only supported 40A initially, I'd have had to 1) toss all that wiring, and 2) buy new wiring / pay for it to be re-run. Spending a bit more up front is well worth it if you think you may ever have 2 EVs.

Couldn’t agree more.

Also, I believe OP is talking about using the UMC with that 14-50. So we're talking 32A (14-50 with UMC) vs 48A (HPWC maxing out onboard charger). Your point still stands, though--32A should be plenty to charge 1 75 kWh battery overnight.

Yeah, then the job is even cheaper/easier if he’s just going to us the MC. I figured since he was considering a WC, then he was prepared to spend an extra $500 on top of the electrical wiring. Running electrical from panel to 14-50 outlet or from panel to a box for a WC is negligible in term of cost.

That sums it up pretty well. I'll be using the Mobile Connector with the 14-50 adapter that came with the car. Not planning on buying anything else.
Unfortunately, the electrical panel is in a terrible place, and it's a significant cable run through ceiling and some walls to get there...so it's not cheap.
Luckily, the 40% MD refund has been funded again, and unless there's a massive wave of applications in the next few week, I should get the money back.

I might also get this as a compromise...get a little faster charging, and is future proof if I move.

Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
Update:
Went with the 14-50 outlet and the 14-50 Wall Connector.
Getting a 38 MPH charge on my LR RWD.
Wasn't an easy installation...my electrical box is in a terrible place, and it had to travel though ceilings and walls..but the guys did a great job.
Now I've got to finish my application to try and get $700 back from the state.