Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we need to be present for final inspection? The guy from Tesla called me today and said I should be fine since all of my install is outdoors but they might want to check the fire alarms inside the house. Looking for your experiences. Live in San Mateo County.

Do we need to be present for final inspection? The guy from Tesla called me today and said I should be fine since all of my install is outdoors but they might want to check the fire alarms inside the house. Looking for your experiences. Live in San Mateo County.
Always best to be present. You don't want something like needing to check smoke and CO detectors preventing inspection and returning you to the end of the inspection queue.

FWIW, we have done a lot of remodeling and they checked the smoke and CO detectors every time. Strangely they did not go in the house and inspect as part of the SolarRoof and Powerwall inspection. But, I did have to sign a form saying that we had CO detectors on each floor and smoke detectors in every bedroom. Maybe because of Covid they do not want to go into the home.

This is one of those things that is very dependent on your local jurisdiction. They all have different requirements. In my case I did need to be present because my powerwalls were in my garage, but no one from Tesla needed to be present. I’ve seen other people post that in their jurisdiction someone from Tesla needed to be on site during the inspection. Your best bet is to call the building department in your city or county (whoever will be doing the inspection) and simply ask them if they will need to check anything inside the house or require your presence. They are usually happy to answer questions like that.

Our experience from prior city permit inspections on work done in and around the house is that the contractor doesn’t need you to be physically there with them when the inspector shows up but good if you are in the house or reachable should the inspector have questions for you or further needs to see something. When we had our 14-50 installed they asked us if we had a co2 alarm installed, just saying yes was enough, no inspection inside. Our homes here in this development were all hard-wired in smoke detectors which they knew. Our Tesla Plans did have a note on them about requirement for CO2 alarm BTW to comply with code. When the City inspector came out and met the Tesla team person we were able to give them access to our garage (PWs and almost all equipment inside) but we stayed in the house and didn’t need to be outside with them.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
You might get lucky, but why risk it?

Probably it is best to be there. In principle, the inspector ought to verify working smoke / CO detectors as part of their inspection. We have had three inspections in the last five years and every inspector has verified the existence and function of most or all of our devices.

You are truly at the whim of the inspector. Just because others have "gotten away" with the inspector not actually verifying it doesn't mean that they won't. They certainly have the authority to do so, and the authority to fail the inspection due to the deficiency. So...You might get lucky, but why risk it?

Personally, I try not to annoy inspectors on the idea that I will see them again sometime, and I might need their goodwill in the future.

Just my $0.02...

All the best,

BG

Just got my inspection 5 minutes ago. In and out in 10 minutes. Did not go look at smoke and CO detectors as I had signed paperwork saying all of that was in order. Since I already had solar, my system was turned on after installation and no need to wait for PTO. Now I just need an invoice.

I was asked to send pictures of all my CO2 / smoke detectors by Tesla. I took pictures and texted them to local permit handling guy. All my installs are also outside and they never needed me for anything. I had kept the side gates unlocked as my inverter and 2 Powerwalls are inside the side. I am in L.A county

This is one of those things that is very dependent on your local jurisdiction. They all have different requirements. In my case I did need to be present because my powerwalls were in my garage, but no one from Tesla needed to be present. I’ve seen other people post that in their jurisdiction someone from Tesla needed to be on site during the inspection. Your best bet is to call the building department in your city or county (whoever will be doing the inspection) and simply ask them if they will need to check anything inside the house or require your presence. They are usually happy to answer questions like that.

Thanks all your inputs. I did call my building inspection county after your suggestion and the lady said they will not need to enter the home for any inspections of CO2 or fire alarms. I guess maybe its because of covid. I'll update later when its complete.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Thanks all your inputs. I did call my building inspection county after your suggestion and the lady said they will not need to enter the home for any inspections of CO2 or fire alarms. I guess maybe its because of covid. I'll update later when its complete.
My inspector did ask me if I have CO in a couple of places and fire alarms in every bedroom. I said no. He said I need them and send him pictures when installed. I did, plan was approved in a few days later.
So, your inspector may ask but apparently the upgrade is needed when you have over $1000 of anything improvement to house.
So, just be ready for this eventuality.

So inspector came today. Tesla said the day before the inspection was scheduled for 12. Tesla arrived at 1030ish and called me saying they will stage ladders and other items to get ready for the inspection. Long story short, the inspector did not arrive until 340ish. Apparently, the actual appointment was scheduled from 2-4. The inspector left at 4. So Tesla basically was there for 4-5 hours until the inspector showed up. Glad I was still at work and not waiting for the inspector to show up. Also they did not ask about going in the house. Now onto PTO.